• 2 Post By the3dgm
  • 4 Post By the3dgm
  • 1 Post By rcktpwrd
  • 2 Post By the3dgm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2018, 05:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default How many 5-speed manuals?

I picked up another PT Cruiser, Photos coming soon, a '04 base 5-speed beer can! Body is in great shape, the top priority, and it drives out fine.

This was the only stick I looked at that had the 1-2-3-4-5-R shift pattern, where 5th was above Reverse, and not a R-1-2-3-4-5, where Reverse and 5th were both up and to the left and right of 1st and 3rd,respectively.

So, how many 5-speeds came in PTs?
svtnos likes this.
Old 03 May 2018, 06:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: How many 5-speed manuals?

Only two manual transmissions were offered. The one you have, same as mine with the n/a engine, a t-350. And the Gatrag 288 with the GT/turbo engine. I believe the Gatrag has reverse to the left of first gear...
the3dgm likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 03 May 2018, 06:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: How many 5-speed manuals?

i think quite a few were 5 speeds. since manual trans vehicles are harder to sell, they usually cost less as well. my pt was only 250, and if it were automatic, i wouldn't have bought it. the only thing i really hated about it was that it had a hydraulic clutch pedal. i love cable operated clutches. turn a nut and set it to your liking. so simple and trouble free.

the trans you have is available geared a few different ways. i think the one in my 2002 had slightly lower highway rpm
svtnos and the3dgm like this.
Old 03 May 2018, 07:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks guys, just pulled the build sheet and it does say it has a T350.

It seems to have rather short gears in 1st, 2nd and 3rd and it is very quick through them. Fourth is what I would expect and fifth is like overdrive, the only reason you know the engine is running is you are still moving and holding your speed. Though I could tell I tested the A/C while in 5th. . . it worked fine!
wwpptc and rcktpwrd like this.
Old 03 May 2018, 10:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

As promised. . .

2010 Classic, 2.4l n.a. auto, 'The Blue Beast' and 2004 Base, 2.4l n.a. 5-speed, Graphite Metallic Clear Coat

Blue_Gray.jpg

Originally a California car

Gray.jpg
Old 04 May 2018, 12:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

My '01 is a 5-speed manual, easy shifting.

I don't know what percentage were manual vs. automatic, I assume around 8% or 10% but this is just a guess.
Old 04 May 2018, 02:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: How many 5-speed manuals?

I highly recommend replacing the factory shifter bushings with aftermarket poly bushings. I have the Booger bushings in mine and it is one of the best things I have done to the car! It takes all the slop out of the linkage and you get nice feel going through the gears!
the3dgm likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 04 May 2018, 03:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wish I had a 5 speed my GT is an auto. Still a fun daily though if I ever blow er up I'd like to try to swap for a Getrag, anybody ever heard of someone doing it before? When I buy another (yes, WHEN) I'll search high and low for a 5spd, hard to find around here it seems. I'd be curious as to how many they made too.
Old 04 May 2018, 03:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for the tip rcktpwrd, I'll do that.

I was looking for a turbo with a stick also and actually found three! Unfortunately, with all three they needed the timing belt, etc. changed, had thousands in body repair work, the best about 1000 to 1500 dollars worth, the worst, half the body was a bad bondo job! One needed a clutch, one an exhaust, etc., etc. on top of what they wanted for the cars they just were not worth the cost, at least to me.

I'm happy with what I ended up with. It's fast enough, it rides much better then the GT with it's sport suspension, tracks true, but it is a beer can! The only power are the windows, however, it does have a CD radio with six speakers and it sounds great!

Monday I'll take it to my mech and have them go over it and see if there is anything that needs fixed now.
rcktpwrd and channelcge like this.

Last edited by the3dgm; 04 May 2018 at 03:46 pm.