PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Does the Rad fan effect AC?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2018, 04:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Does the Rad fan effect AC?

After I thought my AC leaked out, the garage took it in, Did some digging and found it worked fine when they brought it in, first thing in the morning but stopped working after a minute, turns out the radiator fan is bad, and the system builds pressure (I was turning it on when I turned the car on), but no air moves past it, its builds too much pressure and shuts off. However they claimed it worked OK when they put a shop fan infront of it. The low speed fan is broken but the high works.

Does this make sense? Or can they not figure out what was wrong with it?
Not experienced with AC, would like to know before I drop $200 on a fan.

And the Dye from "Manually" putting it in, because there machine wasn't working.

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 10 May 2018, 08:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Does the Rad fan effect AC?

In short yes. No fan the a/c will run at high pressure and not work correctly. The high speed fan should turn on when the a/c turns on. It's all computer controlled but don't know if the low speed fan has any effect on the a/c. The fan should be replaced (assuming it's the fan at fault). Remember to assume makes an a$$ out you and me. You may also have more than one issue, fan and a/c.

If you don't trust your mechanic get a second opinion.

Good Luck!!
Old 10 May 2018, 03:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

From the service manual:

However, I notice that the high speed fan goes on anytime the A/C is turned on so this may have changed since the writing of the manual.
Old 10 May 2018, 06:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
From the service manual:

However, I notice that the high speed fan goes on anytime the A/C is turned on so this may have changed since the writing of the manual.
The garage I took it to was pretty sure the AC high pressure built too much at idle, and causes it to shut off, I also have a pending OBD2 port for the high pressure switch, Low speed is burnt out so replacing anyways. Hoping this is my last issue!

Old 11 May 2018, 12:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
would like to know before I drop $200 on a fan.
My experience has been that the AC will not work unless there is a fan in complete working order.
$200 for an new, installed fan is cheap.
Old 11 May 2018, 02:39 am
Senior Cruiser

The high speed radiator fan is turned on when the high pressure switch of the refrigerant system reaches ~300 psi. The fan turns off when the pressure drops below 235 psi.

I find the A/C On section of the chart to be confusing.
Old 11 May 2018, 05:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2006 View Post
My experience has been that the AC will not work unless there is a fan in complete working order.
$200 for an new, installed fan is cheap.
Ended up finding a new fan for $65 and installing it myself

Old 11 May 2018, 10:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Good for you. Some people don't know how or aren't able to do this but as you found out, it's a pretty easy task. Just make sure the plugs are securely fastened and not left to dangle and get worn down by rubbing against anything.

Opinion:
The fan is a weak spot in the PT. It was obviously meant to have a 100k mile lifetime but they typically fail before that especially with low mileage PT's driven by people who tend to drive short distances on surface streets and put very few miles/year. Unfortunately the small compartment engine cannot run in city traffic without the fan running a lot which wears out the brushes. A brushless fan would have solved all this but when you're pinching pennies on the design, you don't care what happens 10 years down the road.
Old 11 May 2018, 01:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Good for you. Some people don't know how or aren't able to do this but as you found out, it's a pretty easy task. Just make sure the plugs are securely fastened and not left to dangle and get worn down by rubbing against anything.

Opinion:
The fan is a weak spot in the PT. It was obviously meant to have a 100k mile lifetime but they typically fail before that especially with low mileage PT's driven by people who tend to drive short distances on surface streets and put very few miles/year. Unfortunately the small compartment engine cannot run in city traffic without the fan running a lot which wears out the brushes. A brushless fan would have solved all this but when you're pinching pennies on the design, you don't care what happens 10 years down the road.

My cars at 166,000km, the fan has been replaced at somepoint, looks like with a junkyard one as it's got markings on it, and the two toughest screws are missing!

Old 11 May 2018, 04:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Crazy isn't it? Stick a junkyard part which has one of the shortest "lifetime" lifespans in the car. Almost like putting in used rotors or wheel bearings from a junkyard.