PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT P0882, P0700 Non Turbo Recommended Trouble Shooting Sequence?

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By LionPT
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By LionPT
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By pjfent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2018, 11:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT P0882, P0700 Non Turbo Recommended Trouble Shooting Sequence?

Days ago, I just bought a 2006 automatic, Non Turbo, base model, with a TIPM, and it suddenly lit the MIL and is showing codes P0882 and P0700. It is showing no driveabilty issues, no limp mode, but it has shown some random indicator problems, all the cluster warning lights flashed once while running and the theft alarm light has been on longer at times, and while running. I also notice that some of the entry exit arm/disarm settings have randomly changed. Horn sound and headlight on settings now seem to be active, although I didn't change them, and there were instances where my OBDII scanner couldnt seem to link to the ecm. Codes have been cleared once and reoccurred, but not immediately.

I have done as much research as possible here and elsewhere, but I don't have a shop manual or electrical diagram yet, so I was hoping for a link and any opinions on where this leads, or where to start, Battery, Wiring, TIPM, ECM/TCM?
Any suggestions from experienced PTC owners would be appreciated.

Last edited by pjfent; 13 May 2018 at 11:04 am.
Old 13 May 2018, 03:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT P0882, P0700 Non Turbo Recommended Trouble Shooting Sequence?

I'll PM you a link for the 2006 Manual.

First think to check is your battery & ground wires.
This set is to the right of the air box...don't just look at them, pull them off & check them.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 13 May 2018, 03:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT P0882, P0700 Non Turbo Recommended Trouble Shooting Sequence?

P0882-TCM Power input low
P0882 is set when there is less than 3.0 volts present at the transmission control output circuits located in the PCM when the Transmission Control System request the power up of those circuits.

Possible Causes:
Transmission Control Circuit short to ground (T15)
Transmission Control Circuit open (T15)
PCM

As LionPT posted check the group of ground wires first.

If the ground wires have good contact I would suggest checking the wiring and contacts at the TCM under the battery support plate. One member fixed the P0882 by cleaning the TCM contacts. We need to make sure the TCM is communicating with the PCM properly.
pjfent likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 13 May 2018 at 03:51 pm.
Old 13 May 2018, 04:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjfent View Post
Days ago, I just bought a 2006 automatic, Non Turbo, base model, with a TIPM, and it suddenly lit the MIL and is showing codes P0882 and P0700. It is showing no driveabilty issues, no limp mode, but it has shown some random indicator problems, all the cluster warning lights flashed once while running and the theft alarm light has been on longer at times, and while running. I also notice that some of the entry exit arm/disarm settings have randomly changed. Horn sound and headlight on settings now seem to be active, although I didn't change them, and there were instances where my OBDII scanner couldnt seem to link to the ecm. Codes have been cleared once and reoccurred, but not immediately.

I have done as much research as possible here and elsewhere, but I don't have a shop manual or electrical diagram yet, so I was hoping for a link and any opinions on where this leads, or where to start, Battery, Wiring, TIPM, ECM/TCM?
Any suggestions from experienced PTC owners would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
I'll PM you a link for the 2006 Manual.

First think to check is your battery & ground wires.
This set is to the right of the air box...don't just look at them, pull them off & check them.

Thanks for the replies.
Battery terminals were good. I tested battery and alt voltages and they seemed OK. At 12.x and 14.x V, and I tested those two grounds for resistance between them and the negative battery terminal with a multimeter, and they seemed OK to me, able to reach 0 ohms with some digging. Do you think I should still take them off and check anyway?
Still getting some random erratic behavior along with the codes, the theft alarm light stays on past the start for an extended period on some starts and goes out like normal after a few seconds, at on, on others.
Old 13 May 2018, 05:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjfent View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Battery terminals were good. I tested battery and alt voltages and they seemed OK. At 12.x and 14.x V, and I tested those two grounds for resistance between them and the negative battery terminal with a multimeter, and they seemed OK to me, able to reach 0 ohms with some digging. Do you think I should still take them off and check anyway?
Still getting some random erratic behavior along with the codes, the theft alarm light stays on past the start for an extended period on some starts and goes out like normal after a few seconds, at on, on others.
Many users have posted the same only to remove them & find broken wires at the connectors.
pjfent likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 13 May 2018, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Another member posted this information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexygomer View Post
Here is the Alldata disg procedure for this DTC
pjfent likes this.
Old 13 May 2018, 05:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Many users have posted the same only to remove them & find broken wires at the connectors.
Thanks. I'll make sure then.
LionPT likes this.
Old 13 May 2018, 09:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Another member posted this information
Thanks for the procedure.

I checked the grounds as LionPT recommended, and cleaned them up slightly, but I don't think they are the culprit. The wires are intact and there was only slight corrosion. I also gave the PCM connectors a little wiggle, after the battery + was disconnected for a while. The code reoccurred soon after reconnecting the battery, after that and cleaning the grounds.
I guess from here checking wiring is next.

Last edited by pjfent; 13 May 2018 at 09:26 pm.
Old 19 May 2018, 11:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well I thought that I would give a little update on this problem for others that may be having similar issues.
Not resolved yet, but it is manageable. I realized some of my new car, ignorant assumptions were wrong. The car is actually going into limp mode when the P0882, P0700 codes are set, my unfamiliarity with the car and low speed, speed bump residential test zone just masked it. I also realized that some of my dash light/immobilizer issues seem to be due to one bad key. It will start the car at times, but at others it seems that the chip is not being read, or losing com in the ignition. The other key seems to be normal.
I also realized that this code(s) is set on start up and that if it does not set then, the car will run normally for as long as you want, until you restart. It does not seem to set once running, and if it doesn't set within a minute of start all is good.
I also noticed that clearing codes or disconnecting the battery cable does seem to reset the problem instantly and it will often run for days without re-occurring.

I found that getting to this potentially problematic, under the battery tray, connector is not as easy as it seems in the postings. Although getting the battery and battery tray out is simple, this connector is attached to the battery support underneath, out of sight, and there is little cable slack, when disengaged from it.
IMO it seems that removing the Battery support for access/inspection is probably best, if not absolutely necessary, and access to the front support bolts is not easy at all. I had to give up with the limited tools that I had with me.

Let me know if you see any other PT newbie errors in the above assumptions, or have any further suggestions, though.

Last edited by pjfent; 19 May 2018 at 11:33 am.