PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front End Clunk Over Bumps

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 May 2018, 08:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Front End Clunk Over Bumps

Started noticing a noise in the summer months, to be fair my AC Compressor bearing was really bad for awhile there and couldn't hear much.

Bumps such as going off my driveway tend not to make this noise, things such as speedbumps or small potholes (lots where I live) make this clunk on both sides of the car. It feels like its coming where my left foot rests on the floorboard. Sounds like the bottom of the car, not the strut mount or something.

Is the next step to lift the car and start grabbing all the suspension pieces and giving them a good shake?

From my understand because its on both sides of the car, it is probably the sway bar bushings? Or (God I hope not) the rack and pinion?

Far as I know, all the suspension is original, other then two front wheel bearings and a new watts link in the rear.

Point me in the right direction!

Thanks

-Andrew

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 23 May 2018, 09:15 pm
Banned

Default Re: Front End Clunk Over Bumps

Check the lower control arm bushings:

Post some pics of what yours look like.

If they're original, they're probably toast
Old 23 May 2018, 09:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If I remember correctly they ain't too bad, Ill take pictures tomorrow

Old 24 May 2018, 03:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Nice pics Rick.

AJ; notice in the top pic that the large 'washer' is hitting [rubbing] the frame. The large 'washer' is actually part of the A frame bushing, and normally it sits about a 1/4" above the frame. Moog makes an A frame with a rubber bushing and an A frame with a spherical bushing.
Old 24 May 2018, 07:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Worn swaybar bushings usually sound like creaking as the car loads and unloads and is most noticeable at lower speeds. The good news is they are typically less than $20 for a pair locally or less than $10 mail order. Replacing them is very simple. Remove the end links, unbolt the bushing brackets and replace the bushings. Be sure you measure the diameter of the swaybar because there are 22, 24 and 26mm bushings available.

Did you do any work on the lower control arms recently? After replacing my LCA's I had a loud clunk when going over bumps. Turned out I didn't torque the rear bolt all the way After that, it was quiet. Also make sure all your lug nuts are torqued down properly.
Old 24 May 2018, 10:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post

Did you do any work on the lower control arms recently? After replacing my LCA's I had a loud clunk when going over bumps. Turned out I didn't torque the rear bolt all the way After that, it was quiet. Also make sure all your lug nuts are torqued down properly.
Nope, never been touched, and extra rusty. I torque my lug nuts often

Old 24 May 2018, 11:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Lots of moving parts up front that can make noise.

Nice pics of wasted control arm bushings.

Just replaced the sway bar bushings on my 08 (for the second time). They will make a creaking noise at first and then as they wear some more will make more of a clunk sound. The slightest wear will cause a noise. Easy to replace but, as mentioned, measure the sway bar first so as to get the right size. Also make sure the sway bar itself or the links at the ends aren't broken.

Tie rod ends have no grease fittings and can start to wear and make a binding sound as you accelerate from a stop.

Then there's the struts, oh, and the ball joints, and don't forget loose brake hardware.
Lots of stuff to check but start with the control arms and sway bar bushings.
Old 25 May 2018, 12:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Funny, I just replaced my sway bar bushing this morning. It's the second time they've been replaced, I'm the original owner, it's an '01 with 137K miles.

Sway bar bushings can be difficult to diagnose. Just tugging on the bar usually doesn't work because the sway bar is always under load and pressing against the bushing. If you remove the end links, and the bushings are really worn, the bar will flop down, but even this doesn't always work. I had the end links removed from mine to replace the struts. The sway bar seemed reasonably firm in place. Even so, I was getting mild clunking from it.

I ended up replacing the sway bar bushings because everything else appears tight. The bushings are sitting in front of me now, and sure enough, the one is wallowed out slightly oval. The mild clunking is mostly gone.

The sway bar mounts are located near the bottom side of the foot wells, so that would be consistent with your observation.

As was mentioned, make sure you get the right size. A set of machinist's calipers are handy to measure the diameter (inches x 25.4 = millimeters). The bushings can be replaced without removing the end links, but it couldn't hurt to replace the end links too. I'd never take off and reuse end links, they deform in use.

If you end up replacing the end links, I'd recommend Moog K700525. They're a little different from stock. The threaded end doesn't protrude from the end link. It's a nice design.
Carnut likes this.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 10:46 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Well, I did an oil change a few days ago, I noticed all the suspension was tight, and the control arm bushings looked replaced, as they are black and I think they were orange from the factory, Found the noise though, The brake pedal clunks back and forth overbumps, I can replicate the noise by lightly pushing on the pedal and wiggling it side to side.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Old 15 Jun 2018, 11:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

A couple things can cause it. #1 thing is Control Arm and Control Arm Bushings. This was the issue on my 08 and got it fixed and gone. Also, Ball joints which you wont be able see. But, they are replaced with the control arms. If you do one, do the other as well.

#2. Struts. If they are worn or ending their life, they could cause that.

#3 sway bar and sway bar bushings/links. Least likely though.

Hopefully you get it fixed soon. Anything wrong with my PT and it goes in the shop immediately.

Or i fix it, depends on what it is.