Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC low pressure port: missing cap?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 May 2018, 06:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Default AC low pressure port: missing cap?

Hi all,

I looked for this in the forum but I couldn't find an answer.
Same old, same old: my A/C does not blow cold air when idling, but it does when on highway. I want to try to recharge the system, seems pretty easy to do.
I'm relatively sure I located the low pressure port (looks like this picture 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser - AC Pro) , however, it does not have a cap. Is it missing or does it have to be that way? Online there are some pictures of the port with the cap, some without.

If I do recharge the system, should I also get a cap to put on the port?

FYI: I have a 2004 PT, no turbo, manual transmission, base model.

Thank you!
Old 25 May 2018, 07:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: AC low pressure port: missing cap?

Make sure fan is comming on as if cools when going down road should not be low on freon
If you speed up engine when setting dose it cool?
Old 25 May 2018, 07:07 pm
Young Cruiser

I will have to check. I'll try tomorrow. It certainly does cool when on highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggajb View Post
Make sure fan is comming on as if cools when going down road should not be low on freon
Old 25 May 2018, 07:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm no expert but have worked on my wife's AC with my brother, the mechanic's, help.

Yes it should have a cap. They're really just to keep dirt out of the system. Replacement caps should be available at auto parts stores. The high pressure and low pressure ports are different sizes to prevent mix-ups in connection.

If the system has no pressure in it at all, I wouldn't bother recharging. It needs the leak fixed, system evacuated to remove any air & moisture, and then recharged. The system probably has pressure in it if it blows cool air at some point.

If the system has some pressure in it, you could try a recharge. My PT is an '01. I never had the AC system serviced and it still works fine. So, if your system's low on pressure, it has a leak. The question becomes how long a recharge will last.

DO NOT use AC system sealers. AC systems have lots of small passages that the sealer gunks up. My brother explained that the sealers either cause the system to fail or work poorly. I've read that shops will not service systems that have been loaded with sealer as the sealer messes up the shop's very expensive AC equipment. Only put refrigerant, pure R134, in the system.
ajhockey3 likes this.

Last edited by RickinPA; 25 May 2018 at 07:39 pm.
Old 25 May 2018, 09:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Cap is not nessasary, just keeps dirt out of the system, good to have them. But they do not hold any sort of pressure. My car is missing its high side cap, Might be a common item mechanics replace

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 25 May 2018, 09:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

the valve stem (aka shreader valve) in the filler port is identical to the ones in your tires, except they may be the 100psi type with the red seal- not sure never took it out. like every one is saying just do not charge it with out blowing it clean. you blowing in it would be better than nothing! and my vote is for the A/C Pro stuff in the black can- but don't through away the attachment that comes with it! its reusable and the small a/c pro w/o the attachment is way cheaper...

the gauge on the attachment will tell you the state of charge- if its to spec according to the instructions, don't mess with it!

Last edited by rambojoe; 25 May 2018 at 09:41 pm.
Old 26 May 2018, 11:48 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambojoe View Post
like every one is saying just do not charge it with out blowing it clean. you blowing in it would be better than nothing!
What do you mean? I didn't quite get this.

Thank you for all the other info, I'll keep them in mind.
Old 26 May 2018, 04:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking to see if your radiator fan is working as if it is not it might be the cause of your issue.

With the engine cold, start the engine, turn on the A/C and check to see if the radiator fan comes on almost immediately.
Old 27 May 2018, 10:07 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggajb View Post
I checked on this: there is no difference in air temperature when going down hill or speeding up engine.
Old 27 May 2018, 01:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest checking to see if your radiator fan is working as if it is not it might be the cause of your issue.

With the engine cold, start the engine, turn on the A/C and check to see if the radiator fan comes on almost immediately.
I checked this: fan does not work. Also, with hood open, I hear a clicking (every 4-5 seconds) from the passenger side of the engine compartment.

Last edited by siddharta1979; 27 May 2018 at 01:15 pm. Reason: Additional info