Default Bad Gas Cap?

What are the symptoms of a bad gas cap?
Old 05 Jun 2018, 12:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bad Gas Cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteduster View Post
What are the symptoms of a bad gas cap?
Common symptom is the engine light comes on. Do you have diagnostic trouble codes if your engine light is on?
Old 07 Jun 2018, 10:07 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Common symptom is the engine light comes on. Do you have diagnostic trouble codes if your engine light is on?
I had her checked for codes, but none were found. The car goes into some sort of "Limp Mode" intermittently and when you pull over, turn off the ignition, then restart it, she's ok ....., for a little while.

Last edited by coyoteduster; 07 Jun 2018 at 10:10 am.
Old 07 Jun 2018, 10:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Do you KNOW you have a bad gas cap and are asking what to expect or are you guessing that with your symptoms, you may have a bad gas cap and are trying to match bad gas cap symptoms with what your car is experiencing?

If it's the latter, try this. Remove the gas cap, drive around for the day and see if you have the same symptoms. If so, a new gas cap might help. If not, it's something else and you can eliminate the gas cap as a problem source.
Old 07 Jun 2018, 10:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
I had her checked for codes, but none were found. The car goes into some sort of "Limp Mode" intermittently and when you pull over, turn off the ignition, then restart it, she's ok ....., for a little while.

Check the plug to the Cam Sensor.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 07 Jun 2018, 10:45 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Do you KNOW you have a bad gas cap and are asking what to expect or are you guessing that with your symptoms, you may have a bad gas cap and are trying to match bad gas cap symptoms with what your car is experiencing?

If it's the latter, try this. Remove the gas cap, drive around for the day and see if you have the same symptoms. If so, a new gas cap might help. If not, it's something else and you can eliminate the gas cap as a problem source.
Well, it's the latter and here's why. This is my wife's car, and the first couple of times that it happened she had her mother with her and her mother suggested that the gas cap was bad because her Grand Marquis did the same thing, and when the dealership replaced the gas cap, it fixed the problem. I wasn't buying it, so I put it in the shop and they couldn't find that it was throwing any codes and supposedly couldn't recreate the symtoms. We didn't make it three miles from the shop before the engine light came on and it did it again. I just wondered if there is any validity to this "Bad Gas Cap" theory because I have never heard of it in my entire life.
Old 07 Jun 2018, 11:20 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
No sir, the check engine light is on but she's not throwing any codes.
Old 07 Jun 2018, 12:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Well, it's the latter and here's why. This is my wife's car, and the first couple of times that it happened she had her mother with her and her mother suggested that the gas cap was bad because her Grand Marquis did the same thing, and when the dealership replaced the gas cap, it fixed the problem. I wasn't buying it, so I put it in the shop and they couldn't find that it was throwing any codes and supposedly couldn't recreate the symtoms. We didn't make it three miles from the shop before the engine light came on and it did it again. I just wondered if there is any validity to this "Bad Gas Cap" theory because I have never heard of it in my entire life.
Yes, a bad or loose or missing gas cap can throw a code and you will fail smog inspections in some states (CA is one of them).

Try driving around for a SHORT while with the gas cap off or so loose you are sure there is not an air tight seal with the filler neck and see what happens.

If you can repeat the same symptoms, either make sure the gas cap is on firmly all the time (my mother-in-law got the codes and told me she deliberately left the gas cap loose because it was difficult for her to remove it when filling up ), or get a new gas cap. They're cheap.
Old 07 Jun 2018, 12:47 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Yes, a bad or loose or missing gas cap can throw a code and you will fail smog inspections in some states (CA is one of them).

Try driving around for a SHORT while with the gas cap off or so loose you are sure there is not an air tight seal with the filler neck and see what happens.

If you can repeat the same symptoms, either make sure the gas cap is on firmly all the time (my mother-in-law got the codes and told me she deliberately left the gas cap loose because it was difficult for her to remove it when filling up ), or get a new gas cap. They're cheap.

Will do, thanks ...
Old 07 Jun 2018, 01:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
When the Pt Cruiser goes into some sort of limp mode intermittently are you driving it at around 60 mph or is it random?