PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Random stalling O2 codes, at a loss on whats wrong

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2018, 06:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Random stalling O2 codes, at a loss on whats wrong

2003 PTGT. About a month ago the PT died on my wife on her way home from work when I went to pick her up it fired right up drove home and was fine for about a week and a half it died on her again and when I went to pick it up it didn't want to start after about 15 minutes it fired up acted like nothing was wrong but was throwing a bunch of injector codes and O2 codes. got it home took a look at it checked over the wires on pretty much everything. everything was fine cleared the codes out drove it to work the next day was perfectly okay. on my way home it died it seemed to be every time this happened we were slowing down or coming to a stop. When it died on me this time it also did not want to fire back up right away and went and you can feel the engine stumbling and hesitating. Sat for a few snd it fired back up and ran fine.Got the car home broke out the code reader delve into it got P0032, P0038, and when i ran tge Chrysler OEM scan on my code reader it popped up P0141. So I changed out the O2 sensors the ones that were in it with RockAuto specials that I threw in after I changed the turbo out when I bought the car for 600 bucks now I've been to this point the car has ran fine. So I put in 2 new Bosch o2s car ran fine for about an hour I was out driving around I thought everything was good check engine light pops back on and it's on the same codes again and the car dies. And then go get a set of AutoZone O2 sensors throw them in same thing clear the codes out car runs fine without driving it around waist about a quarter tank of gas on me same codes. So I'm pretty sure it's not the O2 sensors but just to be safe I can go to the dealership buy to really expensive O2 sensors from the dealership pop those in same issue it also seems that once it dies the time frame then for when it'll die again shorten's last time it died on me I was not coming to the stop I was actually just moving along luckily I was on the Side Road I've checked every wire there's no chafing I see nothing loose when I bought the car I replaced all the sensors it crank position sensor cam position sensor the air idle valve the throttle position sensor everything. I haven't done the coil or the plugs they look relatively new I've been over every inch of wire on this car I can't find anything. Also i cant find on the web or in my auto parts store repair manual on shooting the wires that go from the O2 sensors up to the relay to check voltage and ohmage. the thing that kind of worries me is one of the things that the it pops up on the code reader that says could be wrong is the PMC wondering if anybody has had this kind of issue and what they did to fix this I'm not really in the position to buy another car at the moment. I brew my own beer and be willing to send you some if you help me fix this problem. Again until it dies or stalls or whatever you want to call it car runs just fine boostgrade accelerates stops the whole Gambit no weird lights on the dash except for the check engine nowhere and indication on any of the dials, nothing. It has a stage 1 pmc(throws the P0633)
Old 08 Jun 2018, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Random stalling O2 codes, at a loss on whats wrong

Read this thread:

P0032 P0038
Old 08 Jun 2018, 11:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdaddy23 View Post
2003 PTGT. About a month ago the PT died on my wife on her way home from work when I went to pick her up it fired right up drove home and was fine for about a week and a half it died on her again and when I went to pick it up it didn't want to start after about 15 minutes it fired up acted like nothing was wrong but was throwing a bunch of injector codes and O2 codes. got it home took a look at it checked over the wires on pretty much everything. everything was fine cleared the codes out drove it to work the next day was perfectly okay. on my way home it died it seemed to be every time this happened we were slowing down or coming to a stop. When it died on me this time it also did not want to fire back up right away and went and you can feel the engine stumbling and hesitating. Sat for a few snd it fired back up and ran fine.Got the car home broke out the code reader delve into it got P0032, P0038, and when i ran tge Chrysler OEM scan on my code reader it popped up P0141. So I changed out the O2 sensors the ones that were in it with RockAuto specials that I threw in after I changed the turbo out when I bought the car for 600 bucks now I've been to this point the car has ran fine. So I put in 2 new Bosch o2s car ran fine for about an hour I was out driving around I thought everything was good check engine light pops back on and it's on the same codes again and the car dies. And then go get a set of AutoZone O2 sensors throw them in same thing clear the codes out car runs fine without driving it around waist about a quarter tank of gas on me same codes. So I'm pretty sure it's not the O2 sensors but just to be safe I can go to the dealership buy to really expensive O2 sensors from the dealership pop those in same issue it also seems that once it dies the time frame then for when it'll die again shorten's last time it died on me I was not coming to the stop I was actually just moving along luckily I was on the Side Road I've checked every wire there's no chafing I see nothing loose when I bought the car I replaced all the sensors it crank position sensor cam position sensor the air idle valve the throttle position sensor everything. I haven't done the coil or the plugs they look relatively new I've been over every inch of wire on this car I can't find anything. Also i cant find on the web or in my auto parts store repair manual on shooting the wires that go from the O2 sensors up to the relay to check voltage and ohmage. the thing that kind of worries me is one of the things that the it pops up on the code reader that says could be wrong is the PMC wondering if anybody has had this kind of issue and what they did to fix this I'm not really in the position to buy another car at the moment. I brew my own beer and be willing to send you some if you help me fix this problem. Again until it dies or stalls or whatever you want to call it car runs just fine boostgrade accelerates stops the whole Gambit no weird lights on the dash except for the check engine nowhere and indication on any of the dials, nothing. It has a stage 1 pmc(throws the P0633)

I don't think the G1's have the problem with O2 Sensors as the G2 does.
I installed Bosch in mine & code came back...going with NTK solved my problem.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 08 Jun 2018, 12:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
I don't think the G1's have the problem with O2 Sensors as the G2 does.....
I think you meant to say usually 03's don't have the same problems that the 04-05s do with oxygen sensors. That is true, except the last thing he wrote is that he has a Stage 1 PCM. The stage 1 PCM uses 04-05 hardware, and hence the problem with the O2 sensors is 'normal' even though he has an 03 car.

Stewdaddy, your problem is not unique and almost always is a failed PCM. Your O2 sensors are not the problem. There have been very rare accounts where cleaning battery terminals, ground posts in the driver fender, and O2 sensor plugs/wiring, have worked to cure the problem; so you definitely need to check/clean these too to be sure. But most of the time it is a failed PCM.

I believe that over time, the PCM is subjected to very high under-hood temperatures, especially with the close proximity of the extremely hot running turbo, which causes the PCM to die. Usually it is the O2 circuits that seem to fail first.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by myckee; 08 Jun 2018 at 12:44 pm.
Old 08 Jun 2018, 01:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
I think you meant to say usually 03's don't have the same problems that the 04-05s do with oxygen sensors. That is true, except the last thing he wrote is that he has a Stage 1 PCM. The stage 1 PCM uses 04-05 hardware, and hence the problem with the O2 sensors is 'normal' even though he has an 03 car.

Stewdaddy, your problem is not unique and almost always is a failed PCM. Your O2 sensors are not the problem. There have been very rare accounts where cleaning battery terminals, ground posts in the driver fender, and O2 sensor plugs/wiring, have worked to cure the problem; so you definitely need to check/clean these too to be sure. But most of the time it is a failed PCM.

I believe that over time, the PCM is subjected to very high under-hood temperatures, especially with the close proximity of the extremely hot running turbo, which causes the PCM to die. Usually it is the O2 circuits that seem to fail first.
I've seen you mention this several times, throughout the forum.

Why does baking the PCM only seem to happen to the '03 turbo? Does it not occur much in other PT's with a turbo?

Has anyone thought about putting some kind of a heat-reflective material in front of the PCM as an isolator, to keep the excessive turbo heat from baking the PCM?

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
157k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 08 Jun 2018, 02:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

I remember another member using a block of wood to keep the hood partially open to see if the problem was caused by excessive heat.
Old 08 Jun 2018, 02:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I've seen you mention this several times, throughout the forum.

Why does baking the PCM only seem to happen to the '03 turbo? Does it not occur much in other PT's with a turbo?

Has anyone thought about putting some kind of a heat-reflective material in front of the PCM as an isolator, to keep the excessive turbo heat from baking the PCM?
The 03 gt PCMs fail quite often too, but it doesn't seen to be the O2 sensors which fail first. It is the NGC3 pcms used in 04 and up cars which seem to suffer from this issue. It is speculation on my part, but it seems to follow a pattern. I cant remember reading a report about these 02 codes on the non-turbo cars, but I am sure there must be some. I don't know how hot the PCMS get on the non-turbo cars, but even after a short drive in my 03 GT, the PCM gets scalding hot.

Since the PCM would still be under the hood, and any kind of heat shield might only restrict air from getting at the PCM and make it fail faster?

As well, putting blocks under the hood after the PCM has already been cooked to death is likely not going to do anything.

I believe the PCM should not be in the engine bay at all. Perhaps if you cut out the area behind the pcm, and closed off the the area around the pcm under the hood, basically extending the wiper cowl area and putting the PCM in there. This is where the PCM is located on the Chrysler 300's. Of course this too would/might restrict air circulation over the heatsink too, so it may not be the solution. However you wouldn't have the turbo throwing heat directly on it. I don't have experience with the 300's so I don't know what the failure rate is on them.

Anyway those are just my speculative ramblings based on my experience.
Old 08 Jun 2018, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
The 03 gt PCMs fail quite often too, but it doesn't seen to be the O2 sensors which fail first. It is the NGC3 pcms used in 04 and up cars which seem to suffer from this issue. It is speculation on my part, but it seems to follow a pattern. I cant remember reading a report about these 02 codes on the non-turbo cars, but I am sure there must be some. I don't know how hot the PCMS get on the non-turbo cars, but even after a short drive in my 03 GT, the PCM gets scalding hot.

Since the PCM would still be under the hood, and any kind of heat shield might only restrict air from getting at the PCM and make it fail faster?

As well, putting blocks under the hood after the PCM has already been cooked to death is likely not going to do anything.

I believe the PCM should not be in the engine bay at all. Perhaps if you cut out the area behind the pcm, and closed off the the area around the pcm under the hood, basically extending the wiper cowl area and putting the PCM in there. This is where the PCM is located on the Chrysler 300's. Of course this too would/might restrict air circulation over the heatsink too, so it may not be the solution. However you wouldn't have the turbo throwing heat directly on it. I don't have experience with the 300's so I don't know what the failure rate is on them.

Anyway those are just my speculative ramblings based on my experience.
The other member was just testing to see if the engine would run further with the block of wood keeping the PCM from getting hot narrowing down the actual problem.
Old 09 Jun 2018, 08:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Gents,
Thank you for the advice. After reading your post and the posted link to the 32/38 problem. It definitely sounds like the pmc is crap. UGH. God this was driving me up the wall and even with searching the web/forums i wasn't making any headway.
anyways, is there a company you recomend to get a "new" one from or can this one be repaired(reflashed)?
Old 09 Jun 2018, 04:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Myckee might be able to hook you up. He's helped many a fellow PT'er here.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.

Tags
p0032, p0038, p0141, stall