Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ongoing P0481 Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2018, 08:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Ongoing P0481 Problem

Thanks to this forum, I was able to diagnose and repair my recent P0481 error code...I purchased my 2007 Base PT Cruiser 2 months ago. I noticed that the A/C was not up to par. It would blow somewhat cool, but far from cold. A few weeks after I purchased it, the check engine light came on, and it began to overheat when stopped at a red light or when idling. I learned from this forum about the "key dance", got the P0481 code, and searched this forum for answers. I learned about how to test the fan and relays...determined that the fan wasn't functioning on either low or high speed, even when the A/C was turned on. I replaced the cooling fan assy (complete with both relays on the side). After replacement, the fan now comes on when the A/C is turned on, and it doesn't overheat any more, and the check engine light went off. However, the A/C is still just cool, not cold. A few days after I replaced the fan, the check engine light came on again. The key dance, which I tried several times over a few days, didn't show a code...just "done". I mentioned this to a friend of mine who is a retired auto mechanic. He stopped by with his code reader (or scanner). He wasn't able to get a diagnostic code, just a "dealer " code is what I think he called it. He told me to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, and it should turn off the check engine light...which I did. The light went off, but came back on the next morning. I tried the key dance again, and got the original P0481 again. Over the next few days, the light will stay on for a day or 2, go off for a day or 2, then come back on again. After being on for 2 days, tonite when I left work, it was off. After 2 short trips, it's on again, but the key dance just says "done", no codes.
Sorry to make this so long...but here's my questions:

1) Could the P0481 code just be a history code since the car runs fine and doesn't overheat since the fan was replaced?
2) Could the A/C not working up to par just be low freon, since the cooling fan works, compressor comes on, and it does blow somewhat cool?
3) Could low freon be causing the P0481? (Forgot to mention that I replaced the low side A/C pressure switch a few days ago).
4) Does a code have to be cleared when the faulty part is replaced...so the code doesn't return again?
5) Could it be that a Chrysler dealer has to clear the code with their scanner?

Once again, sorry for such a long, boring post! Any help or suggestions is welcomed!
Thanks-Steve S. in PA
Old 08 Jun 2018, 08:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Ongoing P0481 Problem

take it to an AC repair shop. Yes if its low on freon the AC will turn off to avoid burning up.
Any competent AC shop would figure it out quickly.
Old 08 Jun 2018, 11:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest buying your own OBDII Scan Tool and reset the diagnostic trouble codes. The DTC's are stored until you reset them with an OBDII Scan Tool. Keep in mind not all OBDII Scan Readers will reset the codes so do your own homework but I prefer the OBDII Scan Tools.

What brand radiator fan did you buy? New or used?

P0481 - High Speed Fan Relay Control Circuit:

Possible Causes:

Fused (B+) Circuits
Ground Circuit
High Speed Rad Fan Control Circuit Shorted To Battery Voltage
High Speed Rad Fan Control Circuit Open
High Speed Rad Fan Control Circuit Shorted To Ground
Radiator Cooling Fan Module
Totally Integrated Power Module

When I replaced one of my radiator fans in one of my Pt Cruisers I found one of the contacts in the plug of the new radiator fan pushed in not making good contact. I replaced the plug before installing the new radiator fan. Did you inspect all of the contacts in the radiator fan plug before plugging it in?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Jun 2018 at 09:08 pm.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 08:57 am
Senior Cruiser

If the light is on there is a problem. The code might persist for a bit if you didn't reset it, but the light would not be coming and going unless the problem were coming and going. Sorry, I have no info to help with a/c or P0481. Knock wood.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 12:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

hows your pressure switch? common part easy to replace. Jump it

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 11 Jun 2018, 02:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

As Steve has suggested, inspect your connections. Since the problem comes and goes is a good indication of a possible bad connection. Especially since you have been working in the area.

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Einstein
Old 12 Jun 2018, 07:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone for all your help...I did purchase a scan tool that will erase codes.
However...now there's ANOTHER cooling fan problem which really has me confused...
Check engine light has been on again for a few days. No problems on my way to work today, but, on the way home, began to overheat when stopped! Most of my drive is highway, so I got home ok. Checked fan operation when I got home, and found the new fan is NOT working, either when the a/c is on, or when at idle and the temperature begins to rise. Just replaced the fan, which came with 2 new relays, just a few weeks ago. Although I had the intermittant check engine light (P0481), the fan operated. Now it's dead again! And to further complicate matters, when I started it tonite to put it in the driveway, the check engine light was OFF, even though the fan is not working. I had planned to spend my day off tomorrow checking the grounds, wiring, and the connections, but now I'm not sure, since the check engine light is off, if I need to go in a "dfiferent direction". A/C still blows somewhat cool, but not cold. I did replace the low pressure switch, since it was inexpensive, last week. Any help would once again be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 12 Jun 2018, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest manually applying 12 volts to the radiator plug that is connected to the engine wire harness on both speeds.

Check all wiring and the plugs going to the radiator fan.

A bad TIPM can trigger the P0481 but this is very rare. I would check everything else first before looking at the TIPM.