PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 Overheating problem, after changing the thermostat.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2018, 09:37 am
Regular Cruiser

Default 2002 Overheating problem, after changing the thermostat.

It overheated last thursday coming back from a buddy's house, had to drive with the heater on (definitely not fun in the texas heat). watched a few vids and decided to changed it out (shout out to chrisfix youtube channel, in case anyone needs a tutorial).

I did everything he advised, and turned on the car... it went on for about 13 minuted before it started overheating again. I notice the cap was leaking, so i replaced that... turned it on and it lasted about 15min before it very slowly started to overheat again.

the fan seems to be working, so i don't really now what else may be wrong.

thanks in advance.

you know what sucks, the car just passed 200k. And maybe i jinxed myself, because i had a feeling something was gonna hapen, since it's been running well.

Old 09 Jun 2018, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 Overheating problem, after changing the thermostat.

I am suggesting you need to do an engine coolant compression test first. You need to make sure your engine coolant system is sealed.

You might also still have air in the coolant system. Post if you need information on how to get the air out of the coolant system.

You might have a blown head gasket but you need to make sure you do a complete diagnosis first.
Old 09 Jun 2018, 12:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I am suggesting you need to do an engine coolant compression test first. You need to make sure your engine coolant system is sealed.

You might also still have air in the coolant system. Post if you need information on how to get the air out of the coolant system.

You might have a blown head gasket but you need to make sure you do a complete diagnosis first
spoke to the mechanic earlier, he thinks it's the gasket as well. He won't charge me for the testing, but it's still gonna be a ton of work.

I looked up the average replacement cost and it starts at $1K
Old 10 Jun 2018, 10:33 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm confused as the title says after changing thermostat. If all was well before the thermostat change then I would look at the thermostat or you still have air in the system and need to bleed.

If you changed thermostat because it was overheating then testing is you next step for sure.

Good luck!
Old 10 Jun 2018, 07:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2kki View Post
I'm confused as the title says after changing thermostat. If all was well before the thermostat change then I would look at the thermostat or you still have air in the system and need to bleed.

If you changed thermostat because it was overheating then testing is you next step for sure.

Good luck!
Yes, it was after changing the thermostat.

It's gonna get tested
Old 11 Jun 2018, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If the car was overheating before the thermostat change, and if we know the radiator fan is working now, and if the bleeder valve was used to get the air out of the cooling system, then a failed head gasket is likely.

You may be able to catch this with a pressure test, but not necessarily. If the pressure test doesn't indicate a failed head gasket, try a chemical test for combustion gas in the coolant. This is going to be more definitive.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 10:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
If the car was overheating before the thermostat change, and if we know the radiator fan is working now, and if the bleeder valve was used to get the air out of the cooling system, then a failed head gasket is likely.

You may be able to catch this with a pressure test, but not necessarily. If the pressure test doesn't indicate a failed head gasket, try a chemical test for combustion gas in the coolant. This is going to be more definitive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas2002cruiser View Post
spoke to the mechanic earlier, he thinks it's the gasket as well. He won't charge me for the testing, but it's still gonna be a ton of work.

I looked up the average replacement cost and it starts at $1K
It was already posted that the testing is going to be done for a blown head gasket.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 12:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Take the frigging thermostat out and test it. If you got it at AutoVance, odds are it's a piece of crap out of the box. I used to work for both and had a lot of faulty t-stats returned by pissed off customers. If you can find a Robert Shaw brand t-stat instead of Stant, try one of those. Better quality.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 02:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Chemical test to see if exhaust fumes are in your coolant system is a good test and should be done sooner than later. Also, check your Radiator and water pump. If those are good, I would double check the fan to see if the High and Low functions work properly.

Personally, I would not say it's the Head Gasket right off the bat. I'd check for a partially warped or fully warped cylinder/cylinder head before I thought about the head gasket.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 05:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post

It was already posted that the testing is going to be done for a blown head gasket.

Steve,

There is a difference in a pressure test and a chemical test for combustion gas in the coolant. It's important to note that.

Many times here we read about PT engines passing a pressure test but still have a failed head gasket. Sure, the pressure test is great to try first. But if the engine passes that test, it could still have a failed head gasket. As far as the chemical test goes, there's either combustion gas in the coolant or there is not.

I'm always ready and happy to explain any of this by PM if you have questions. But I urge you to stay focused on the person needing help in these threads and less on me and my responses. If my posts bother or puzzle you, you can always just not read them. Good fences make good neighbors, as they say.