PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Salavge Yard finds

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2018, 05:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Salavge Yard finds

Normally any more I use online sites to get parts for the vehicles, but since of the parts are hard to find new or are price new and used I figured i would go to the local U pull it and see what I could find. It has been a long time since I have gone to the salvage yard since I haven't had any projects. Well they had about a dozen cruisers and only one GT. I was looking for a computer so I could have it flashed since I have to have a 2004 computer, an aluminum intake, a turbo, tail lights and an inter cooler. I found the last two and the rest had been stripped already even though there is a turbo manifold that i will go back for. Well I got my tail lights and the inter cooler for 44 dollars. Guess I will have to go the salvage yards more often now. Here is a pic of my finds.
Old 09 Jun 2018, 06:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Salavge Yard finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermo View Post
Normally any more I use online sites to get parts for the vehicles, but since of the parts are hard to find new or are price new and used I figured i would go to the local U pull it and see what I could find. It has been a long time since I have gone to the salvage yard since I haven't had any projects. Well they had about a dozen cruisers and only one GT. I was looking for a computer so I could have it flashed since I have to have a 2004 computer, an aluminum intake, a turbo, tail lights and an inter cooler. I found the last two and the rest had been stripped already even though there is a turbo manifold that i will go back for. Well I got my tail lights and the inter cooler for 44 dollars. Guess I will have to go the salvage yards more often now. Here is a pic of my finds.
Did the sockets come with the tail lights?
Old 09 Jun 2018, 07:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did not remove the sockets with the lights. I probably should have cut them off just to have them.
Old 09 Jun 2018, 07:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can use the PCM from a 2004 or 2005 non-turbo PT if you have flashed to a 2003 Stage 1 PCM. It does not have to come from a turbo PT.

Forum member, Myckee, can tell you all about this and he may even have one and can likely flash it. He has a business doing this.
myckee likes this.
Old 09 Jun 2018, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the information and who else to contact, I have emails out to another business that does flashes but had not heard back about what pcms I needed to look for.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 10 Jun 2018, 06:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

No need to cut the wires for the sockets. There's a connector that you can just unplug. That's how I got the 06 tail lights to work in my 03. They're slightly different on the sockets between the first and second gens for some reason. But if you have the pigtail, it's just plug and play! Nice score on that intercooler, BTW. I've only seen 3 in all of my searches and all were damaged.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 10 Jun 2018, 09:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you can't find the pigtails as Chuzz suggests, You can fix this with a Dremel tool and removed the tabs inside the sockets as seen below and colored red:

Here's my 2005 GT with 2nd Gen tail lights.

Old 10 Jun 2018, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
If you can't find the pigtails as Chuzz suggests, You can fix this with a Dremel tool and removed the tabs inside the sockets as seen below and colored red:

Here's my 2005 GT with 2nd Gen tail lights.

It seems that many more Gen1 owners change their taillights to the Gen2 style, which has a clear turn signal section. I'm not quite sure why Chrysler did the Gen2 change, unless to look more "modern" because most every other turn signal section you see on many other vehicles is amber.

On the Gen1 stock configuration, does it use a clear turn signal bulb or amber? Thus making a double amber with the amber bulb and amber turn signal section.

On the Gen2 the stock configuration uses an amber turn signal bulb because the lens is clear.

I have thought about switching the taillights on my Gen2 to the Gen1 style. The reason would be because I have Sweeplite modules installed, they flash amber. With the amber modules and the Gen1 style lights that also have the amber turn signal section, that should be extra intensity of amber flashing, thus making the turn signals and hazards much more visible.

I have an extra set of sockets and pigtails that I grabbed on my last visit to the salvage yard, so it would just be a matter of grabbing a set of Gen1 taillights for the conversion.

This is one of my vids with the Sweeplites:

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
157k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 10 Jun 2018, 10:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

I really enjoy the information that comes out of these discussions. I never really thought that the sockets would have been different but why wouldn’t a manufacture change something like that. Looks like I will be going back and getting those pigtails. I like those sweeplites, might have to look into them. I was really surprised to find an intercooler that was in such good shape cause the intercooler on my car now is pretty dinged up and most of the cruisers in the salavage yard have front end damage.
Old 10 Jun 2018, 11:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
You can use the PCM from a 2004 or 2005 non-turbo PT if you have flashed to a 2003 Stage 1 PCM. It does not have to come from a turbo PT.

Forum member, Myckee, can tell you all about this and he may even have one and can likely flash it. He has a business doing this.
I have since found out that while the 04 non-turbo is NGC3, the automatic PCMs are actually missing the circuitry for the TIP sensor, and so they will not work. The 04 Manual PCMs are good to use though. So the only non-turbo units that will work for automatic cars are from 05 PTs or 05 Dodge Neons.