PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Do Your Daytime Running Lights Turn Off When Signalling?

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By pjfent
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By the3dgm
  • 1 Post By the3dgm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2018, 10:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Do Your Daytime Running Lights Turn Off When Signalling?

I recently bought a Canadian 06 PT, with High Beam DRL's, as all Canadian cars do by law, and noticed an odd thing. When signalling, or the hazards are on, the DRL's go out. At first I though this was another symptom of my ongoing electrical issues, but eventually discovered that this is actually by design. So here is a link to the information for those other Canadians, and rare American PT's that apparently have them. Very hard to notice at first since the Parking brake has to be off, and the car has to be in gear before these DRL's come on.
Hopefully this post saves someone the same aggravation.
https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-moder...hen-1792394567
Old 10 Jun 2018, 10:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Do Your Daytime Running Lights Turn Off When Signalling?

I hate that look on newer vehicles, where one light goes out just to have another come on, it just looks odd.

I recently saw a vehicle, didn't notice what it was, but it had white LED strips as the DRL at the bottom of the headlights, then when the turn signal was activated, an amber LED strip at the top of the headlight came on to signal the turn, but both white LED strips at the bottom of the lights were still on. Now that looked great and normal.

But driving around, see if you notice how many Chevy and GMC vehicles, particularly trucks, that have one of the DRL out, they are everywhere.

I read somewhere where the vehicles have a different controller for each DRL and apparently are prone to failure. Seems like a lousy design to me.
pjfent likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 10 Jun 2018, 11:40 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Yes, my 2010 does that, as stupid as it is. I don't know if 1st gens have the headlights come on during the day, my 04 does not. However, all 2nd gens seem to and the side with the blinker on always turns off the head lamp.
pjfent likes this.

Graphite Metallic 2004 Base, 2.4L n.a. 5-speed
Old 11 Jun 2018, 08:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I hate that look on newer vehicles, where one light goes out just to have another come on, it just looks odd.

I recently saw a vehicle, didn't notice what it was, but it had white LED strips as the DRL at the bottom of the headlights, then when the turn signal was activated, an amber LED strip at the top of the headlight came on to signal the turn, but both white LED strips at the bottom of the lights were still on. Now that looked great and normal.

But driving around, see if you notice how many Chevy and GMC vehicles, particularly trucks, that have one of the DRL out, they are everywhere.

I read somewhere where the vehicles have a different controller for each DRL and apparently are prone to failure. Seems like a lousy design to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dgm View Post
Yes, my 2010 does that, as stupid as it is. I don't know if 1st gens have the headlights come on during the day, my 04 does not. However, all 2nd gens seem to and the side with the blinker on always turns off the head lamp.
Now that I understand the reason for the DRLs to go out when signalling it kinda makes sense, but still looks odd when you see it.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 08:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The new 2016 and newer Dodge Chargers do this too. You get these really cool LED running lights and then one goes out when you hit the blinker.

I believe a "Tazer" module can correct this on the new Chargers. But I believe it takes a wiring mod on the PT. None of my PT's have had the DRL's.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 09:49 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I probably should not have said all 2nd gens do this, Chrysler after all, but I've only seen it on 2nd gens. Not that I really have paid attention to it but now that I think about it I've probably seen 2nd gens that don't have the DRLs. Maybe it is only the last couple of years, the '09's and '10's.

This is from the '10 owner's manual:

NOTE: The Daytime Running Lights will turn off automatically when a turn signal is in operation and turn on again when the turn signal is not operating.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Graphite Metallic 2004 Base, 2.4L n.a. 5-speed
Old 11 Jun 2018, 11:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have seen some Gen2's in my area with DRL, but I don't know what years they were.

I read a post somewhere where someone mentions that all PT's have DRL, they just need to be activated by a dealership.

I don't know that I would like the look of one bulb going out when you use the turn signal.

For DRL on my PT I turn on the driving lights and parking lights:

I've been doing this for so long now that it's automatic for me to turn them on whenever I enter my PT. Works for me and I like the look of the white and amber lights.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 11 Jun 2018, 12:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Canadian Cruiser here! With standard federally mandated daytime running lights, the when the turn signal is on the light does turn off.

2006 PT, Im not sure about first gen, but I am working on my grandpas 1st gen tomorrow and can check it out if you want

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 11 Jun 2018, 12:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I haven't noticed any PT Cruisers with that around here, but I HAVE noticed a lot of newer vehicles that happens with. Both Mopar and GM products. I don't recall any Fords doing that, but then again, I'm NOT a Ford or GM fan. I just noticed the GM products because there's so many of them here.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.

Tags
daytime running lights, signals turn off