burnt cooling fan plug

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2018, 06:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: burnt cooling fan plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Where and when do you people use dielectric grease? It doesn't help the connection - dielectric grease does not conduct electricity. I think you are supposed to use it in places like spark plug boots, not battery terminals or connections. Anybody care to give me a tutorial that makes sense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Dielectric by definition is an insulator. Dielectric grease is intended to serve several purposes. It helps to prevent voltage breakdown (arcing) between conductors, it lubricates the connectors for easier assembly, it helps keep water out of the connection.
Heated debates on the use of dielectric grease has come up in the past. The last time it did, I contacted CRC (manufacturers of dielectric grease) and this was their reply:

"Thank you for your interest in CRC products. Di-Electric Grease is a subject that rises lots of questions. Di-Electric grease will not conduct. But it will not impede electrical flow either. (Unless you really pack it into an area.) So on automotive connections it will work just fine, a thin bead across a connector, to provide a coating. When you connect it the terminals/pins will squeeze out what is in the way. Giving it a thin coating to protect from environments. I use this on light bulb sockets, that way when it’s time to remove them. The bulb wouldn’t break in your hand for an example. If you are coating wiring at power distribution lugs, make your connections then coat to protect from the environments. Our grease will handle 450volts per mil. If you have further questions please ask. Enjoy your day."

and

"Like I stated Dielectric Grease rises lots of questions about usage. Thin coatings are key. Not to heavily pack any connectors, sockets, or plugs. Doing so will lead to issues. If you have further questions please ask."

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
157k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 14 Jun 2018, 07:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
Rokstein, is there a after market 4 prong plug kit . Chysler wants $63.00 for the one you gave
I got one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar...70_&dpSrc=srch

$43.69 and IMO that's pennies compared to the problems that could be caused by a failing fan connector leading to an overheating engine.

I still have it as a spare, as I've been able to clean up the existing one and it seems to still be working just fine.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 14 Jun 2018, 07:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
This is why I keep using the plug from the original radiator fan plug. If you compare the original radiator fan plug with the aftermarket fan plug you will find the aftermarket fan plug doesn't have the rubber seal in it to keep water and moister out of it. I always compare replacement parts to see if something is different and might cause problems down the road.
This is the fan connector on a NAPA brand fan. The seal (yellow item in the pic) is contained in the fan connector (female) which the main wiring harness connector (male) mates into to provide the watertight seal:

USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 14 Jun 2018 at 08:32 pm.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 08:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
This is the fan connector on a NAPA brand fan. The seal (yellow item in the pic) is the seal and it's contained in the fan connector (female) which the main wiring harness connector (male) mates into to provide the watertight seal:

Good to see some aftermarket brands do have the seal but still have to make it it is a good slip fit.
rckstein likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 14 Jun 2018 at 08:31 pm.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I got one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar...70_&dpSrc=srch

$43.69 and IMO that's pennies compared to the problems that could be caused by a failing fan connector leading to an overheating engine.

I still have it as a spare, as I've been able to clean up the existing one and it seems to still be working just fine.
I would suggest you remove the plug off the original radiator fan that came with the Pt Cruiser before throwing it out and this way you won't need to buy an expensive radiator fan plug.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 08:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest you remove the plug off the original radiator fan that came with the Pt Cruiser before throwing it out and this way you won't need to buy an expensive radiator fan plug.
The MOPAR repair connector is for the fan wiring harness leg on the vehicle side, not the fan side. All of the fans that have been put into my PT include the relays and the new fan side wiring harness.

While at the salvage yards, I also snagged from a couple of vehicles the fan wiring harness section almost all the way back to the TIPM. You can't get just that section separately, only comes with a complete engine harness. You never know when that might come in handy.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 16 Jun 2018, 05:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thank you for your respondence's . I will clean my plug ends. Question, are there after market relays, high & low fan speed . I have 2 fans that work when connected direct to the battery but both are melted female plugs that I guess would only be good if I can find a good complete wire harness. So other than that splice kit from Mopar you showed, there is nothing worth buying, unless I was lucky enough to find one @ the wrecking yard ?
Old 16 Jun 2018, 05:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry I didn't see youir respondence's before my last thread
Old 16 Jun 2018, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I do have a bad male part of the plug , of the picture you posted the bottom left prong is very black & slightly twisted & the plastic is melted. So as was suggested go to a wrecking yard & find a good one ?
Old 17 Jun 2018, 10:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

I also ordered one of the kits that was posted. Thanks for that info & all the respondence's they've been very helpfull . Have any of you needed to replace the lower control arm & or tie rod ends & bushings on the front end. I have movment & a cluncking sound in the front end. One of my 2, 06 pt's ( touring ) has 103,000 miles & I just had all the motor mounts replaced , timing belt, tensioner, water pump & etc on it . Just so I don't confuse anyone up until this last question about the front end, all of the previous discussion has been about the cooling fan on my 06 GT. Thanks again