PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
burnt cooling fan plug

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2018, 07:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question burnt cooling fan plug

I have a 2006 gt aprox 89000 miles & I'v gone thru 2 cooling fans. The 2nd one I put in & it worked as it should, ( a/c on, low fan speed was on ) I drove it for about 3 hr's around town & it stopped working, melted plug. I disconnected the TIPM & let it set for 3 days & put it back in.( I did the TIPM after it melted the 2nd fan plug ) & before I looked @ the plug. Having seen a you tube about the TIPM & hop;g that would fix the problem. Being I'd just put in a new fan & not thinking Or not whating to believe the plug melted again. Any suggestions ?
Old 13 Jun 2018, 08:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: burnt cooling fan plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
I have a 2006 gt aprox 89000 miles & I'v gone thru 2 cooling fans. The 2nd one I put in & it worked as it should, ( a/c on, low fan speed was on ) I drove it for about 3 hr's around town & it stopped working, melted plug. I disconnected the TIPM & let it set for 3 days & put it back in.( I did the TIPM after it melted the 2nd fan plug ) & before I looked @ the plug. Having seen a you tube about the TIPM & hop;g that would fix the problem. Being I'd just put in a new fan & not thinking Or not whating to believe the plug melted again. Any suggestions ?
I would suggest posting a picture of both ends of the plug.

I don't like the plugs that come with the new radiator fans so what I have been doing is replacing the plug with the original radiator fan plug that came with the Pt Cruiser new. The new radiator fan plugs I find are sometimes too tight and sometimes it does not go all the way on.
rckstein likes this.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 08:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Is this recent issue related to your other thread from a couple of months ago?

burnt cooling fan plug

Which connector is melted, on the fan (female) or from the body wiring harness (male)?

If you find that you need a new connector for the body wiring harness (male) this is a repair connector that MOPAR offers:

MOPAR 68040499AA

I bought one for my PT several months ago in anticipation that it would be needed, but I have been able to clean up the existing one that it still works just fine. I cleaned up all of the male pins with a nail file and then put a very small amount of dielectric grease on the pins before reconnecting with the fan connector.

That was about a year ago that I cleaned the connector. This weekend I plan on doing the same thing again, to clean the pins and apply a very small amount of dielectric grease for a good connection. Don't need any fan problems in this Texas heat.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
159k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 13 Jun 2018 at 08:30 pm.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 08:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'd say you have a bad plug or socket.

Electrical resistance in conductors causes heat. In typical wiring and connectors, the amount of heat is low, and not noticeable.

The problem starts with high resistance at the electrical connection. It could be caused by corrosion, low spring pressure at the contact, a poorly mated connector, a poor crimp between the wire and contact, etc. With the high resistance you get more heat, and the connector starts to heat up.

At some point, the connector enters a death spiral. The high temperature raises the resistance, causing more heat. Any arcing causes corrosion, elevating the resistance / heat / temperature further. The high temperatures oxidize the contact and burn the connector housing. The resistance then climbs high enough to cause connector failure.

I've replaced a number of connectors over the years. It's important that BOTH halves of the connector are in good shape. Sounds like you're headed for splicing in some new connectors.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 10:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your replie's . The female part melted on both fans, but this time the 4 male prongs are black & may been after the 1st one. So I will clean them as suggested . I did put dielectric grease on the female side on this last fan & a zip tie to make sure it stayed tightly closed
Old 14 Jun 2018, 11:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Where and when do you people use dielectric grease? It doesn't help the connection - dielectric grease does not conduct electricity. I think you are supposed to use it in places like spark plug boots, not battery terminals or connections. Anybody care to give me a tutorial that makes sense?
Old 14 Jun 2018, 03:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Where and when do you people use dielectric grease? It doesn't help the connection - dielectric grease does not conduct electricity. I think you are supposed to use it in places like spark plug boots, not battery terminals or connections. Anybody care to give me a tutorial that makes sense?
Dielectric by definition is an insulator. Dielectric grease is intended to serve several purposes. It helps to prevent voltage breakdown (arcing) between conductors, it lubricates the connectors for easier assembly, it helps keep water out of the connection.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 03:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Rokstein, is there a after market 4 prong plug kit . Chysler wants $63.00 for the one you gave
Old 14 Jun 2018, 04:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Dielectric by definition is an insulator. Dielectric grease is intended to serve several purposes. It helps to prevent voltage breakdown (arcing) between conductors, it lubricates the connectors for easier assembly, it helps keep water out of the connection.
This is why I keep using the plug from the original radiator fan plug. If you compare the original radiator fan plug with the aftermarket fan plug you will find the aftermarket fan plug doesn't have the rubber seal in it to keep water and moister out of it. I always compare replacement parts to see if something is different and might cause problems down the road.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 14 Jun 2018 at 06:08 pm.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 05:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Contact fretting is another cause of increased contact resistance. Fretting is where you have micro movement, vibration, etc. between two surfaces and it leads to a deterioration of the mating surfaces. There's a bunch of articles on the Internet (of course).

Silicon dielectric grease lubricates the contact surfaces and helps to suppress fretting.