PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The great gasket vs rtv debate

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2018, 08:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question The great gasket vs rtv debate

I went ahead and ordered a new Dorman pan, mopar filter, mopar atf-f, and a felpro gasket. Parts came in and I got the fluid/filter change to do this weekend. I read a ton reommendarions between using the felpro, felpro/black rtv and also just gray rtv. Now I'm torn. The felpro/rtv sounds great on the pan side, but leaking due due the felpro gasket "wicking" down the road seems like a valid arguement. Most of the post were pretty hold, so I figured I ask the question again (felpro, felpro/rtv, or just rtv) to see if anyone that used the felpro had changed their mind due leaks starting down the road. Sorry if this ends up a piss in match, but I'd really like to know if the felpro holds up. Thanks in advance!
Old 14 Jun 2018, 08:30 pm
Banned

Default Re: The great gasket vs rtv debate

This is what's stated in the Service Manual:

oldthom likes this.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 08:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the post. I read the service manual. Awsome process when the transmission is mounted in a fixture , upside-down, and bone dry (probably for months), before the rtv touches fluid. Probably not so much laying under a dripping transmission that will back on the road 12 hrs latet. My concern is not being able to keep the mating service clean long enough for a good bond/seal that will hold up over the years/miles. The felpro seemed like a good alternative, but maybe I'm just over thinking it. I'm not building a piano, so maybe I just need to slap some rtv on it and let it roll. I honestly doubt I will continue to own the car long enough for even a half ass job to start leaking, but I try to take some pride in what I do. Sure gona be hard to give up that lifetime powertrain warranty thou!
Old 14 Jun 2018, 08:54 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
Thanks for the post. I read the service manual. Awsome process when the transmission is mounted in a fixture , upside-down, and bone dry (probably for months), before the rtv touches fluid. Probably not so much laying under a dripping transmission that will back on the road 12 hrs latet. My concern is not being able to keep the mating service clean long enough for a good bond/seal that will hold up over the years/miles. The felpro seemed like a good alternative, but maybe I'm just over thinking it. I'm not building a piano, so maybe I just need to slap some rtv on it and let it roll. I honestly doubt I will continue to own the car long enough for even a half ass job to start leaking, but I try to take some pride in what I do. Sure gona be hard to give up that lifetime powertrain warranty thou!
It's the same procedure, and MOPAR recommended RTV, if replacing the filter while the vehicle is up in the air.

I've had the transmission flushed on my PT several times. The last time was 05/17 at a dealership where they removed the pan and filter and flushed the system which gets an almost 100% fluid exchange, including the torque converter, something that may be difficult to do in a driveway. Of course they sealed the pan with the recommended sealant, no leaks to date and I drove the vehicle home about an hour after it was serviced.
Grasshopper77 likes this.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 09:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This is not really a debate. The thread title IMHO is poorly chosen. If we go by the FSM as suggested you seldom can go wrong. If the vehicle is outside the service life then it goes by personal experience what works best by the person doing the job. Than it is to each his own.

Not all RTV is the same. Using it as a singular name for all sealers of the type can cause botched up sealing jobs . Look up what each sealer does and can be used for. Not one really works for everything although most all will work well it is always better to get the correct sealer for the job.
oldthom likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 15 Jun 2018, 06:42 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post

Not all RTV is the same. Using it as a singular name for all sealers of the type can cause botched up sealing jobs.
I should have made it more clear, but if i went the RTV route, I was going to use the proper spec'd RTV. The real point of the post was to see if anyone had some longevity issues with the felpro gasket because it seems to be a cleaner/easier install with less chance of screwing up (RTV getting ATF on it during installation, or not allowing RTV to properly set, etc.), but you made a valid point in a previous thread that the ATF could eventually wick/leach through the gasket material and start leaking after a few months. Most of the folks that recommended the felpro had only a few months/miles on the jobs they had completed without issue. So I was hoping a few would chime in to see how the gasket held up. Maybe I should have just resurrected that thread. While on the subject of RTV's, I noticed you recommend the gray (I'm sure you know the spec I'm referring to) in a previous post. Any particular reason you recommended the gray over the black? The only reason I ask is IMO, experience trumps what's on a products package, and the gray listed oil pans, but not specifically transmission pans, however, the black RTV specifically lists transmission pans on the package. Glad to hear your feedback
rckstein likes this.
Old 15 Jun 2018, 07:24 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I went the gasket route and haven't had any problems, but it's only been 2 years since I did the pan and gasket change. The new pan has a drain plug built in.

The gasket has to withstand very little pressure so I would also assume that if there would be any problem it would be from wicking. But if a gasket allowed simple wicking to cause a fluid leak, it's not a very good gasket.

The good news is removing the pan was a very simple task so if it ever leaked, replacing the gasket with RTV would not be very difficult. All the bolts are easily accessible.

It was pretty easy to clean off all the old RTV. There will be some leakage on the downhill side of the mating surface and the ATF will continue to leak onto the surface but if you use some rags to soak up the ATF, it will give you enough time to clean and dry the surface long enough to get a good RTV bond if that's the way you want to go.
Old 15 Jun 2018, 07:38 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post

The good news is removing the pan was a very simple task so if it ever leaked, replacing the gasket with RTV would not be very difficult. All the bolts are easily accessible.
I think that pretty much helped me decide which route to go. If I use just RTV and screw up enough that it leaks, then it will be a bit of a pain in the ass to redo, but if the gasket leaks, i could easily drop the pan and clean just the pan side, then go with RTV on round 2. It would also give me the opportunity to dilute the old tranny fluid with new fluid even sooner. Did you use any RTV between the pan and the gasket or did you use just the dry gasket? Thanks for your post
Old 15 Jun 2018, 09:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Have had this similar style auto trans on my PT and a minivan before that and have used a filter kit which contained new O-ring and rubber pan gasket that come with the filter. Have never had a problem or leak with the gasket included with the filter.

Have never used RTV on my trans with or without the gasket. A proper gasket should seal without the use of RTV. IMHO, it is a PITA trying to remove the RTV when replacing the filter next time. Also, it will take forever for the trans to quit dripping fluid on the pan mounting flange... any fluid on the flange will cause the RTV not to set up and seal properly.

Just my .02 .

Last edited by Carl48; 15 Jun 2018 at 09:50 am.
Old 15 Jun 2018, 10:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
Did you use any RTV between the pan and the gasket or did you use just the dry gasket? Thanks for your post
No RTV, just the gasket. It's important to tighten the bolts gradually in several stages similar to how you tighten the valve cover bolts. This allows the gasket to seat evenly. Be sure not to overtorque the bolts. It doesn't require a lot of torque. I think it was somewhere around 96 in-lbs (about 8 ft-lbs) which is not much more than a thumb and index finger on a wrench.
Carl48 likes this.