PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Running rough

 
Like Tree9Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 18 Jun 2018, 08:18 am
ajhockey3's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 601
Default 2001 PT Running rough

Its my grandpas car we've been doing some work on it. 170,000km ish,

Everything on the car is good now except for the way its running, even got the AC working!
Its been sitting around for awhile, and developed a rough idle, sounds like a missfire, however no codes or pending codes. Car runs awfully, shuts off every 2-3 minutes while driving, let it sit for 5-10 minutes and starts back up.

New 91 octane fuel has been put in, New plugs, fuel rail cleaned, injectors have good resistance.

Problem developed over just sitting for a year or two.

Looking for ideas? My grandfather is considering scraping the poor PT
__________________

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18 Jun 2018, 10:12 am
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 346
Default Re: 2001 PT Running rough

This might sound stupid, but when was the last time the transmission fluid/filter was changed? My PT had a rough idle (slight stumble/surge/vibrating and no codes), worst when in gear, even worst when A/C was on, but ran smooth while driving. It's always had a slight rough idle since we purchased new. Would even stumble and stall on a few rare occasions, when going from park to reverse (prompting dealer visits). Took it to the dealer a few times when it stalled, starting around 12K with no success (either plugs, wires or plenum seals changed at each visit), it just got progressively worst to the point it felt/sounded like i was driving an old diesel VW. Well, i replaced the tranny fluid and filter this weekend and it purrs like a kitten. I did not touch anything else under the hood (could have bumped a hose or wire), but after I swapped out the filter, the car has never idled so good! My wife drove it to work for the first time to day and sent me a text saying it felt like a new car. Maybe it was just a fluke or the fluid was just nasty enough to over burden the torque converter? No clue, but i thought I'd share my experience, while you waited on one of the more helpful/knowledgeable folks chime in.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18 Jun 2018, 11:04 am
ajhockey3's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 601
Default Re: 2001 PT Running rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
This might sound stupid, but when was the last time the transmission fluid/filter was changed? My PT had a rough idle (slight stumble/surge/vibrating and no codes), worst when in gear, even worst when A/C was on, but ran smooth while driving. It's always had a slight rough idle since we purchased new. Would even stumble and stall on a few rare occasions, when going from park to reverse (prompting dealer visits). Took it to the dealer a few times when it stalled, starting around 12K with no success (either plugs, wires or plenum seals changed at each visit), it just got progressively worst to the point it felt/sounded like i was driving an old diesel VW. Well, i replaced the tranny fluid and filter this weekend and it purrs like a kitten. I did not touch anything else under the hood (could have bumped a hose or wire), but after I swapped out the filter, the car has never idled so good! My wife drove it to work for the first time to day and sent me a text saying it felt like a new car. Maybe it was just a fluke or the fluid was just nasty enough to over burden the torque converter? No clue, but i thought I'd share my experience, while you waited on one of the more helpful/knowledgeable folks chime in.
Original fluid and filter, however it still runs like trash while running and randomly quits, so I don't think this is it. even in neutral its bad
__________________

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250

Last edited by ajhockey3; 18 Jun 2018 at 11:15 am.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18 Jun 2018, 12:02 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,435
Default Re: 2001 PT Running rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
Its my grandpas car we've been doing some work on it. 170,000km ish,

Everything on the car is good now except for the way its running, even got the AC working!
Its been sitting around for awhile, and developed a rough idle, sounds like a missfire, however no codes or pending codes. Car runs awfully, shuts off every 2-3 minutes while driving, let it sit for 5-10 minutes and starts back up.

New 91 octane fuel has been put in, New plugs, fuel rail cleaned, injectors have good resistance.

Problem developed over just sitting for a year or two.

Looking for ideas? My grandfather is considering scraping the poor PT
You could try half a yellow bottle of HEAT and half a red bottle of STP fuel cleaner just to make sure the tank has not got a lot of trash and/or water.

However, this could be a bad fuel pump. Almost everything else that would cause this will throw a code or two.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18 Jun 2018, 01:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,339
Default Re: 2001 PT Running rough

I would suggest pulling the camshaft sensor plug off and see if the PCM triggers the code for it.
Busted_PT likes this.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 18 Jun 2018, 02:51 pm
ajhockey3's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 601
Default Re: 2001 PT Running rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
You could try half a yellow bottle of HEAT and half a red bottle of STP fuel cleaner just to make sure the tank has not got a lot of trash and/or water.

However, this could be a bad fuel pump. Almost everything else that would cause this will throw a code or two.
Would the bad fuel pump show odd fuel pressure on the diagnostic port? Might be something to check
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
__________________

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 18 Jun 2018, 05:00 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: oak creek, wi
Posts: 1,149
Default Re: 2001 PT Running rough

Also, as it is a 2001, check to see if the wire harness has dropped underneath the passenger side of the engine and is rubbing on the half shaft.
__________________
2005 Toyota Camry LE Salsa Red (Wife's)
2002 Automatic N/A (Mine) Inferno Red
2016 Kia Soul Plus Black
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 18 Jun 2018, 09:34 pm
_PTGT03's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Abbotsford, British Columbia.
Posts: 762
Default Re: 2001 PT Running rough

when is the last time oxygen sensors were changed
__________________
2003 GT M/T in Onyx Green Pearl on Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 Plus Tires 205/50ZR17. Dark Slate Gray Interior. OEM cargo net, parcel shelf, slush mats and trunk protector, mud flaps, mopar subwoofer. Platinum edition pedals, Neon SX 2.0 steering wheel with black+grey wrapped leather cover. Generic lowering springs, KYB gas shocks, Valeo solid flywheel conversion and clutch kit. Urethane insert engine mounts. Energy suspension full body urethane bushing kit. Chrysler premium front speakers, Jenson 6x9 rears. Boston Audio 4x55W amp. Panasonic head unit with xtenzi bluetooth. 300W AC power inverter. Escort 360max and Escort Shifter ZR4, dual front+rear dash camera. stage 1 blow off valve and syked tune computer . Boost and oil pressure gauges with Turbo-Timer. Needswings 3" exhaust elbow, Electric valve actuated Y-pipe with catalytic converter. To do: coilovers, 2step controller, quaife diff, Air-Fuel Meter
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2018, 06:01 am
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,435
Default Re: 2001 PT Running rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
Would the bad fuel pump show odd fuel pressure on the diagnostic port? Might be something to check
If the fuel pump is causing the engine to run rough and if you can catch it while the engine is running rough, then yes, you would likely see low pressure at the Schrader valve.

Soyomb gave some good advice above too. Even though it would likely throw a code, check that the harness is not rubbing the CV shaft.
ajhockey3 likes this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2018, 07:40 am
ajhockey3's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 601
Default Re: 2001 PT Running rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by _PTGT03 View Post
when is the last time oxygen sensors were changed
never but that would have a code
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
__________________

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
03 gt running rough, stalling cannesman General Turbo Discussions 37 10 May 2016 08:03 am
Running rough, sometimes... primostoy General PT Cruiser Discussions 10 16 Jul 2012 03:52 pm
PT GT running hot and rough AC idle thefish General Turbo Discussions 1 10 Jul 2012 07:19 am
Rough running '06 GT CruzinGT General Turbo Discussions 14 21 Nov 2010 08:45 pm
01 PT Running Rough lucky594 Tech & Performance Forum 5 17 Aug 2007 11:22 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors