Advertisements
Replacing manual transmission fluid...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Fk5
  • 1 Post By RickinPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2018, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replacing manual transmission fluid...

I bought a 2005 PT Cruiser a couple of months ago, and I have no idea of the maintenance history of this vehicle. When I get a vehicle, I slowly but surely replace all of the fluids in the vehicle.

So I'm thinking about changing the manual transmission fluid myself. Has anyone else here done this? How hard is it? Thanks in advance to any and all advice, insights, and suggestions are appreciated.

For a yardstick as to my own technical ability, I have changed the engine oil in all of my vehicles for 40+ years (I just did an oil change in this PT Cruiser a few weeks ago... piece of cake); replaced a carb in an old Chevy; put new brake pads and rotors in a 1997 Dodge truck.

I have the official Chrysler service manual for this vehicle, as well as a Chilton's repair guide. But I know that things can be tougher than what is shown in these books.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 12:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Replacing manual transmission fluid...

Changing the manual trans fluid isn't too bad of a job. There is a drain plug in the bottom of the transmission. The most difficult part is adding the new fluid. The fill plug is on the side of the transmission in a slightly difficult spot to get to.

I used this funnel when I did mine.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 18 Jun 2018, 01:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing manual transmission fluid...

I have been planning to do mine. I haven't actually checked the fill plug, but... it is always a good idea to get the fill plug out BEFORE you get the drain plug out. Draining the trans without being able to re-fill no bueno. I have never had this happen to me, and have never even done my GT, but I have done enough silly things without thinking that I point it out for the others and to remind myself when I get to it.
myckee and Grasshopper77 like this.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 02:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

I don't know what the fill plugs are like on the non-gt manual trans, but for the GT, the getrag 288, there are two pugs. An upper one used for filling, and a lower one used for draining. In all 3 of my GTs, both plugs were seized/stuck inside the case; probably due to the dissimilar metals causing oxidation and seizing. They use an 8mm hex bit (I am not sure on the size but I think its an 8mm or 5/16" hex socket) and I was putting a lot of force on the ratchet handle and it felt like I was going to round out the hex and be really screwed. So, what I did was take a small propane torch and heat up the drain plug a bit. This helped to break the oxidation seal and the plugs came out rather easily.

To fill, I used a suction gun similar to this one on Amazon. You could use the suction part to suck the ATF into the gun and then simply push it into the trans from below, but to ensure I didn't make a mess, I unscrewed the top, poured the oil inside, and then pushed it into the trans. This is a super easy way of doing it and you don't have to mess with funnels. It is also not messy if you unscrew and fill the gun like I did. Make sure you keep a drain pan under though because you will have to put a couple of gun loads into the trans and you might not know it is full until you pull the gun's house out of the fill port and the excess pours out from the fill port too.

So really a pretty easy task, especially if you have a lift, but still fairly easy even with ramps only.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 03:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

I don't know what kind of space your working in, but a 2X rivet gun and a screw extractor adapter work great for getting out seized fasteners. I wouldn't go higher than a 2X. Firm pressure in a counter-clockwise motion with a few trigger pulls works pretty good. Downside is they require lots of space.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...109&ajaxhist=0

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Einstein
Old 18 Jun 2018, 03:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Replacing manual transmission fluid...

If I remember correctly the fill plug on the T-350 transmission is a rubber plug...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 18 Jun 2018, 07:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

It's a piece of cake. I did mine a couple of years ago. Give it a good highway run first to warm it up. Then drain. Then refill using a gear lube pump, i.e. a "marine lower unit lube pump". I got mine at Walmart, they're inexpensive, they look like this:

Screw it right onto your quart bottle and pump away.
_PTGT03 likes this.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 02:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

make sure the car is level when filling or draining, front to back and side to side. Uncap top, uncap bottom, let drain, cap bottom, fill top, wait for overflow, cap top.
Simple process but make sure the car is level. I made the mistake of lifting the passenger side only and over filled the trans, if you were to lift just the driver side you'd under fill, and if you lift just the front, you'll..... double dutch fill.... I duno... Just make sure it is level.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)