PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Middle Seat Belt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2018, 02:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Rear Middle Seat Belt

Afternoon everyone,

My backseat middle seat belt has had an issue since I got the car a couple years ago, it won't pull out of the seat more than 10"-12" or so, it seems to lock in place, no matter if you pull it slow or fast. It won't extend enough to go around a normal human and fasten into the buckle. When it gets pulled out, the belt won't automatically retract into the seat as it should. I want to get this fixed, that way I can have 5 people in my car again, but I don't want to destroy my otherwise immaculate rear seat in the process. Is this a simple fix, or is this something I should leave to a professional?

Thanks everyone!
Old 18 Jun 2018, 02:28 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Middle Seat Belt

Page 38 of the PT Cruiser owners manual in reference to the middle seat belt;
NOTE:
. If the rear center lap/shoulder belt can not be pulled out, check that the rear seat back is fully latched.
.If the rear seat back is properly latched and the rear center/lap shoulder belt still can not be pulled out,the Automatic-Locking Retractor (ALR) system must reset to be activated.To reset this feature you must let all the belt webbing return to the retractor. You will not be able to pull out more webbing until all the webbing has been returned back into the retractor.

Trying both, but first, dropping the back and the securely re latching it should fix it.

Let me know how it works out.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 19 Jun 2018 at 07:21 am.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 02:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'll give it a try, but when I let go of the belt, it doesn't
wind back up by itself like all the others do, so i think it may be an issue with the spring. Whenever I have the seats folded, I latch them back with a pretty good thud if you know what I mean. You can hear the seat clicking into the steel rings that go to the chassis.
Old 19 Jun 2018, 07:19 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Just moments ago, I rechecked the center belt on the back seat of SOOO BIG. It was working freely.

As a test, I lowered the seat back and raised it, purposely positioning it to what I knew wasn't a fully locked position. The previously operating belt wouldn't deploy.

I repeated the process, lowering and raising the seat back, until I heard a satisfying click as it fully latched.

A slight tug on the belt didn't release it.

Remembering the reset instructions, I pushed the last bit of belt that wasn't retracted back into the slot. I could actually feel the ALR resetting. With confidence I gave the belt a tentative tug and the belt was back in full operation again.

The reset procedure to reactivate the ALR system on the center/lap shoulder belt works on SOO0 BIG. Maybe it'll work on your PT. Good luck

Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.