Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Macgyverman1123
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jun 2018, 10:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Anyone awake

Hey Cruisers
In a bit of a pickle. Bought a new driver side axle asst. SURTRACK. Replaced old with new. Easy swap. 3days later fond inner boot spraying cv joint grease
Boot split at seam defect. Now I'm trying to remove axle and can't get it to pop free from automatic transmission. Oh 2006 pt convertible. The original has three hollows in the inner cv lug that allow you to pry against tranny housing. After market does not have these
I've tried chain vise grips etc to pry on. Just won't let go
Can I remove out put transmission ring without too much work. Need a parts breakdown of 2006 auto tranny. Can't find o e on web. Thanks Chčers
Old 23 Jun 2018, 10:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Anyone awake

We're here, Sparky. I would try removing the output seal as you said, be prepared with a pan on the ground, sometimes ATF leaks out, sometimes it dosen't. Were you able to remove it before when you installed the new CV axle?

Try maybe seeing if you could slip a screwdriver in there to pry with? You could also see if you can maybe get a slide hammer attached, similar to when you are removing an inner tie rod. If you have the possibility, I would *Highly* recommend getting a cv axle that has the 3 indentations so that if you or someone else ever has to replace or remove it again, this won't happen to them. Just remember to be gentle if you have to use a hammer or a screwdriver, the 40TE is a delicate, yet beautiful piece of engineering.

:Beer:
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by Macgyverman1123; 23 Jun 2018 at 10:14 pm.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 10:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It may just be a very stout lock-spring on the end of the new shaft. Try taking a pry bar and getting a good hard pry on the inner joint. Then take a hammer and tap the inner joint while the pry bar puts pressure on it. The joint may just pop out.
Old 24 Jun 2018, 12:01 am
Senior Cruiser

I changed out a leaky boot on a Sebring years ago. Cut off the old one and slipped the new aftermarket one over the shaft, then bolted the 'seam' together. I'm not sure if they are available for PT's.
Old 24 Jun 2018, 11:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks to you all for being here. I have hit pry tapped begged and swore. Damn thing won't move. If I pull passenger side. Is it a straight through hole to back of driver side? Could I hit it out from back? Thanks. You guys Rock!)
Old 24 Jun 2018, 06:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Looks like Dorman makes a split boot kit. Not sure if it will work for your application but you may want to check it out.