Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ac high pressure port

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2018, 12:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default ac high pressure port

I would like to connect my new ac test manifold to the high pressure port but on my 06 basic it is buried and can't get to it from top or bottom. Any tricks?
Thanks
Mike
Old 28 Jun 2018, 03:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: ac high pressure port

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2kki View Post
I would like to connect my new ac test manifold to the high pressure port but on my 06 basic it is buried and can't get to it from top or bottom. Any tricks?
Thanks
Mike
get someone with tiny hands. you can reach it, it just sucks

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 29 Jun 2018, 10:17 am
Cool Cruiser

OK will try to use only the low pressure side and hope the a/c only needs a squirt to work OK.

What were they thinking???

Thanks
Mike
Old 29 Jun 2018, 10:55 am
Cool Cruiser

OK just used the low pressure port was running low and added just a little freon to run at 32 psi and made a big difference. Hopefully it holds and don't have a serious leak. I wouldn't think so as it didn't take much.
Thanks!
Old 30 Jun 2018, 01:06 pm
Young Cruiser

We've been having some A/C issues lately, especially at idling or low speeds. Will know tomorrow whether the recent work I did on the car will have improved the A/C performance (replaced upper engine gaskets and new wires/plugs). I'm waiting for the gasket sealant to cure before I fire it up.

Until recently, the PT A/C has been superb. I also have a set of gauges, but have been stumped on how to get to that buried high side port. I just finished putting a new A/C system on my '92 Chevy pickup, and there's enough room in the engine bay to walk around (lol, well, at least sit down!). Easy as pie to connect the gauges on it. The PT, not so much.
Old 30 Jun 2018, 02:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i joined a civic forum a while back(which i largely avoid unless i need something answered) and there is a weirdo there that has all sorts of problems and WEIRD recommendations/solutions. makes me giggle when i read his posts. recently he switched to an explosive refrigerant. previously he insulated the AC lines and did a few other mods. the explosive stuff is 5 cooler at idle.
Quote:
Duracool really is much more efficient than R134A, and even a little more efficient than R12. It is non toxic and completely safe for the environment and for the system. However, it is made out of propane and butane, so it is very flammable. That's why it's not everywhere. You'd have to decide for yourself if the flammability is a safety hazard or not.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...rformance.html

i know it's irrelevant, but i thought it was kinda funny, different, and worth a mention
Old 30 Jun 2018, 02:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

I found this answer the the high pressure line. Didn't want to go there but hope it helps someone.

Mike
Old 30 Jun 2018, 04:28 pm
Young Cruiser

I had some 2x4 scraps out in my workshop, and was able to push pack on the engine and add around 3" of blocking between the engine intake manifold and car body (where the hood seal mounts). This gave about an inch extra of clearance. Note, I was very gentle doing this.

So, I was able to reach down and attach the high-pressure valve portion of my gauges. This was inside my workshop, so I didn't attach everything yet, I'll do that tomorrow when I have the car outside.
Old 03 Aug 2018, 04:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes remove grill, remove the header,that holds top of radiator (leave hood latch in place) bungee cord header back out of way, gently lean radiator forward, and i can even get mt fat hands down to it, and put gauge hose on it. keep hose out of fan, star car charge away. when done, reverse steps, you can line header panel up with the paint marks where the washer go.

never mind, i see some one put up a video
Old 04 Aug 2018, 09:24 am
Cool Cruiser

In the end I just used the Low Pressure line added some juice to about 30 psi didn't take much, and so far it has been running just fine. Hoping it just needed to be topped off.

Time will tell I guess but so far so good.

Mike