PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT A/C Questions?

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2018, 06:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT A/C Questions?

My "new" 2006 PT had non working A/C when I bought it and after my other problems, I took a shot at fixing it and did, kinda, but I am left with a few questions I couldn't find easy answers to. If anyone can help answer them?

The compressor/solenoid, would run briefly, when A/C was on and would run when the low pressure switch connector was bridged, but it wouldn't cool at all.
It was low on refrigerant, but not empty, so I added some environmentally friendly 12a refrigerant to test, but it still wouldn't run, unless bridged, and wouldn't cool. Didn't seem to have a leak though, or at least an obvious one.
So I replaced the Low pressure switch and that was the main problem. It began to run and cool, but it doesn't seem to cool very well at idle.
I suspect that I need to add a little more refrigerant, but I also
suspect there is a fan switching issue, although the fan does seem to come on at proper times for rad cooling.

How does the A/C system switch on the fan for Condenser cooling when stopped?

I saw the fan speed temp on/off map, but I couldn't see the above in the manual anywhere.

Does the Pag oil in the A/C system need replacing if it had lost approx. 3/4 of the refrigerant or does the oil remain in the system, unless components are changed, or somewhere between?

I have some of those little plastic oil checkers coming, but I am a little wary of running the system for long, without knowing the oil level first, or knowing that the level should still be adequate.

What is the normal static pressure in a PT A/C system?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 08:56 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: PT A/C Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjfent View Post
so I added some environmentally friendly 12a refrigerant to test, but it still wouldn't run, unless bridged, and wouldn't cool. Didn't seem to have a leak though, or at least an obvious one.
So I replaced the Low pressure switch and that was the main problem. It began to run and cool, but it doesn't seem to cool very well at idle.
I suspect that I need to add a little more refrigerant
check if your fan is running while the AC is on, it should always be on when the AC is.

Second, You made a big mistake, I have used 12a refridgerant in a few family members cars because we cannot buy R134a in Canada unless a licensed mechanic, Nothing wrong with using 12a, but you should not mix it with R134a EVER! 12a is 97% Butane and propane. get it recovered, vacuum the AC and refill with just 12a or R134a. And keep in mind if your weighing it out to put the correct amount of refridgerent in the system, R12a has a different weight then R134a, the can should have the conversion on it. Add some dye too if you haven't already.

as for the oil, if i remember correctly abrupt loss of refridgerent calls for 2oz of oil, however that shouldn't cause this issue
pjfent likes this.

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 29 Jun 2018, 03:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
check if your fan is running while the AC is on, it should always be on when the AC is.

Second, You made a big mistake, I have used 12a refridgerant in a few family members cars because we cannot buy R134a in Canada unless a licensed mechanic, Nothing wrong with using 12a, but you should not mix it with R134a EVER! 12a is 97% Butane and propane. get it recovered, vacuum the AC and refill with just 12a or R134a. And keep in mind if your weighing it out to put the correct amount of refridgerent in the system, R12a has a different weight then R134a, the can should have the conversion on it. Add some dye too if you haven't already.

as for the oil, if i remember correctly abrupt loss of refridgerent calls for 2oz of oil, however that shouldn't cause this issue
Thanks a lot for the response.

The fan in my PT didn't seem to be running at all with the A/C on and car at idle.
Should this be the low fan speed, and on, even in motion? This is why I think my low side pressure was rising while I was trying to read it with the A/C on, all the time. It makes it hard to charge it properly. I guess I should check the fan fuses and relays first.

Great, If I have only lost 2 ounces of pag oil with the Freon then I am comfortable running the a/c for longer. I just wasn't sure how much oil was left and didn't want to damage the compressor in ignorance .

I couldn't find any explanation as to why mixing 134a and 12a was bad, other than legal or regulatory. What is the issue with mixing them?
This wasn't really a permanent strategy, more of a way to confirm what was wrong and what needed to be done. If it holds pressure for a week or two, I will get the system done properly.
I figured the 12a was much less of a green house gas if it did leak.

Appreciate all the info.
Carnut likes this.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 04:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the response.

The fan in my PT didn't seem to be running at all with the A/C on and car at idle.
Should this be the low fan speed, and on, even in motion? This is why I think my low side pressure was rising while I was trying to read it with the A/C on, all the time. It makes it hard to charge it properly. I guess I should check the fan fuses and relays first.

Great, If I have only lost 2 ounces of pag oil with the Freon then I am comfortable running the a/c for longer. I just wasn't sure how much oil was left and didn't want to damage the compressor in ignorance .

I couldn't find any explanation as to why mixing 134a and 12a was bad, other than legal or regulatory. What is the issue with mixing them?
This wasn't really a permanent strategy, more of a way to confirm what was wrong and what needed to be done. If it holds pressure for a week or two, I will get the system done properly.
I figured the 12a was much less of a green house gas if it did leak.

Appreciate all the info.
Whenever the car is on and the AC is on, the low speed should be on, especially at idle.

You should never mix refridgerents, its just a no no, I could see why it wouldn't work right, they have different masses, and they have different density, it won't mix
pjfent likes this.

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 30 Jun 2018, 01:10 am
Senior Cruiser

PJ; I'm not an ac guy. The radiator fan is turned on when the AC system pressure reaches 200-300 psi. I forget the exact number. The fan goes to high speed. Easily heard.
pjfent likes this.
Old 30 Jun 2018, 09:11 am
Cool Cruiser

I think the low & high pressure switches need to be in the closed or shorted position for the compressor clutch be engaged.
pjfent likes this.
Old 01 Jul 2018, 08:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the responses.

Magically the low speed fan is now coming on with my A/C on all the time now.
Not sure why, but it is working consistently after a longer highway run with the system on.
It seems to be cooling adequately, in motion, even in the heat wave conditions that we are having up here at the moment.
Hopefully, I can now check the low side pressures accurately and see if I am losing pressure at all.

Last edited by pjfent; 01 Jul 2018 at 09:03 am.
Old 01 Jul 2018, 09:10 am
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses.

Magically the low speed fan is now coming on with my A/C on all the time now.
Not sure why, but it is working consistently
after a longer highway run with the system on.
It seems to be cooling adequately, in motion, even in the heat wave conditions that we are having up here at the moment.
Hopefully, I can now check the low side pressures accurately and see if I am losing pressure at all.
I would be a little skeptical as things don't usually "magically" fix themselves. I would certainly keep an eye on it and constantly be checking that the fan comes on consistently when the a/c is turned on, on cold engine.

If you get a little too confident and miss something and the fan does not come on and the PT overheats, that leads to a completely different of problems.
pjfent likes this.
Old 01 Jul 2018, 09:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I would be a little skeptical as things don't usually "magically" fix themselves. I would certainly keep an eye on it and constantly be checking that the fan comes on consistently when the a/c is turned on, on cold engine.

If you get a little too confident and miss something and the fan does not come on and the PT overheats, that leads to a completely different of problems.
Thanks for the warning. I agree It is kind of inconsistent that it suddenly works.
I have been keeping an eagle eye on my temp gauge, and when the fan is switching on off, thinking the same thing, that there might be an issue with the fan circuit somewhere. So far the action seems what I believe is normal. Low speed on right away with AC, and off until called on by rad temp, without A/C? I am not counting my chickens yet though.��
I was wondering if this could be related to my recent PCM replacement, and that the A/C was just repaired after the replacement?
Does the PCM command the fan on and off based on sensor data and switch settings?
If so, maybe it needed some extended A/C system on time to re-learn the system?

Last edited by pjfent; 01 Jul 2018 at 10:29 am.
Old 01 Jul 2018, 10:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your engine trouble light should be coming on if your radiator fan is not working sometimes. Do you have an OBDII Scan Tool?