PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cylinder 4 Misfire?

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2018, 12:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cylinder 4 Misfire?

I have a 2004 PT Cruiser GT, with 136k on it. I've been trying to figure out why i've been getting this Cylinder 4 misfire, until my girlfriend mentioned something to me. Apparently when she's been filling it up, she hasn't been putting in premium gas. Would poor fuel quality cause an issue like that?

Also, I'm getting P0031 (B1 S1) and P0037 (B1 S2) codes, though I just changed both of those O2 sensors not too long ago.

Thanks all!
Old 29 Jun 2018, 02:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devindinapoli View Post
I have a 2004 PT Cruiser GT, with 136k on it. I've been trying to figure out why i've been getting this Cylinder 4 misfire, until my girlfriend mentioned something to me. Apparently when she's been filling it up, she hasn't been putting in premium gas. Would poor fuel quality cause an issue like that?

Also, I'm getting P0031 (B1 S1) and P0037 (B1 S2) codes, though I just changed both of those O2 sensors not too long ago.

Thanks all!
Low compression?

I would suggest looking at the low engine compression you have on cylinder #4 at 90 lbs or try running premium gas and see if that helps you if it worked before.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 04:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Low compression?

I would suggest looking at the low engine compression you have on cylinder #4 at 90 lbs or try running premium gas and see if that helps you if it worked before.
I don't think it will be his compression, but it is certainly possible. His compression was 100 on 1-3 and 90 on 4. I submit that it is most likely a result of a bad gauge or technique. They are all fairly close together. When I did mine, all were around 120 lbs. People told me my engine was screwed. That was like 3 years ago. OTOH, he did have P0300 and P0304 already.

Usual suspects are 1. plugs. 2. plug wires. 3. coil terminal. 4. intake gasket. This is a 2004 turbo car? My bet is on the gasket. A huge number of aluminum intake cars have/had the issue of misfire on #4, including mine. My plugs and injectors were horrid. Changing them made no difference. It was the intake gasket.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 05:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Usual suspects are 1. plugs. 2. plug wires. 3. coil terminal. 4. intake gasket. This is a 2004 turbo car? My bet is on the gasket. A huge number of aluminum intake cars have/had the issue of misfire on #4, including mine. My plugs and injectors were horrid. Changing them made no difference. It was the intake gasket.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. How difficult is that to do? As much as I love this car (It's more of a love-hate relationship), I'm getting a new car at some point, but I just want it to last as long as it can. I'm guessing if I take it in somewhere it'll run me at LEAST $300?
Old 29 Jun 2018, 06:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I don't think it will be his compression, but it is certainly possible. His compression was 100 on 1-3 and 90 on 4. I submit that it is most likely a result of a bad gauge or technique. They are all fairly close together. When I did mine, all were around 120 lbs. People told me my engine was screwed. That was like 3 years ago. OTOH, he did have P0300 and P0304 already.

As long as there is a possibility of low compression I would double check on that before going through the trouble of replacing the intake gasket. Why not do a complete diagnostic before going forward.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 09:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

without having the car here I'd bet on it being a faulty injector. A basic tune up plug, wires, and coil wouldn't hurt. The down side of the Cruiser is to do a basic tune up the plenum has to be removed. so if you replace ignition components and it's an injector you'll have to remove the plenum again. Not that's it's a bad job I just hate to do things twice.

Assuming it's not the head gasket I'd personally replace the coil, plugs, wires and injectors.

If you can't do your own work labor cost are going to add up quick you'd be lucky to get away with a $300.00 repair
Old 29 Jun 2018, 10:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsab View Post
without having the car here I'd bet on it being a faulty injector. A basic tune up plug, wires, and coil wouldn't hurt. The down side of the Cruiser is to do a basic tune up the plenum has to be removed. so if you replace ignition components and it's an injector you'll have to remove the plenum again. Not that's it's a bad job I just hate to do things twice.

Assuming it's not the head gasket I'd personally replace the coil, plugs, wires and injectors.

If you can't do your own work labor cost are going to add up quick you'd be lucky to get away with a $300.00 repair

Already did the plugs, wires, and coil about 2 months ago. It's weird, though. I did some work on it last year on my own, by just changing an O2 sensor, engine mount, and a tune up, and all codes were cleared. Passed inspection no problem. Now, we're nearing inspection time and the code popped up. I'll probably just take it in on Monday for a full diagnostic and go from there.
Old 30 Jun 2018, 10:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Make sure you check the battery connections and clean them. Also make sure the ground terminal in the driver fender is clean and not corroded. Check the connections of the O2 sensors to make sure they are plugged in properly.

Given that you have almost new O2 sensors and if none of the cleanings/checks solve your issue, I would strongly suspect the PCM is failing. The O2 codes are one of the most common indicators of PCM failure in the 04 and up turbo PTs.

If you want to try a PCM, send me a message. If you buy one and it doesn't solve your issue, you can simply send it back for a refund less the shipping. If it does fix your issue, it will be less than your garage visit for diagnostics.
podo2000 likes this.

Last edited by myckee; 30 Jun 2018 at 10:18 am.
Old 30 Jun 2018, 11:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Make sure you check the battery connections and clean them. Also make sure the ground terminal in the driver fender is clean and not corroded. Check the connections of the O2 sensors to make sure they are plugged in properly.

Given that you have almost new O2 sensors and if none of the cleanings/checks solve your issue, I would strongly suspect the PCM is failing. The O2 codes are one of the most common indicators of PCM failure in the 04 and up turbo PTs.

If you want to try a PCM, send me a message. If you buy one and it doesn't solve your issue, you can simply send it back for a refund less the shipping. If it does fix your issue, it will be less than your garage visit for diagnostics.
myckee's offer is very generous and better than you would get from any retailer or dealership.

Basically, he's going to allow you to use his parts for troubleshooting. Nobody else is going to do that. Many places will not even allow you to return any electrical part, if it's been installed.

Also, based on what you have described, and what myckee has experienced, that his recommendation of the PCM is the issue. myckee knows his stuff and will take care of his customers.
myckee likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 30 Jun 2018, 11:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
myckee's offer is very generous and better than you would get from any retailer or dealership.

Basically, he's going to allow you to use his parts for troubleshooting. Nobody else is going to do that. Many places will not even allow you to return any electrical part, if it's been installed.

Also, based on what you have described, and what myckee has experienced, that his recommendation of the PCM is the issue. myckee knows his stuff and will take care of his customers.

Oh for sure! I'm going to do his recommendations first on the cleaning and checking the connections, and if that doesn't work, I'm definitely going to be going through him! SO happy I found this forum.
rckstein likes this.