PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pricing my PT for a private sale

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2018, 12:31 am
Young Cruiser

Default Pricing my PT for a private sale

Hey folks - so alas, the time has come to sell my PT. I was side-swiped a couple of weeks ago, and have decided to replace vs. repair. I was wondering if anyone could help me with pricing it nicely for a private sale? I'm basically looking to put a price on it that will move it quickly. I recently lost my job, so every bit helps. Basically, here's what I've got:

2004 PT Ltd. Ed. 77k miles, leather interior, 5 disc cd, mood roof, premium wheels. 1 owner - Located in Los Angeles.

The good: In terms of running, she runs I think as nicely as she ever has done, no issues, and everything works. I don't keep good service records, but kept up with the regular stuff, and in the last year had the coolant flushed, spark plugs and cables replaced, and motor mounts replaced. The controller arms went about a year ago, and those were replaced, and the fan in front of the radiator has been replaced. Otherwise, its been a low cost to run car.

The bad: I was side swiped on the drivers side. The car has small-medium size dents running the length of the drivers side of the car. The rear passenger door pushes against the drivers door when you open it, requiring more force then usual to open the door. The panel right in front of the drivers door is bent in.

The ugly: The rear of the car has experienced significant clear-coat peeling.

I have a CarMax near me, but I imagine their offer would be a big low-ball. So I was thinking about putting it on Craigslist, but am unsure how to price it. Any advice would be appreciated!!

thanks,
Matthew
Old 02 Jul 2018, 06:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Pricing my PT for a private sale

This is going to vary a lot depending on where you live. Where I'm from, what you have is a $900 car.

The good news is that there's usually lot's of folks looking for good reliable sub-$1000 transportation. I would price it at $950 but attempt to take no less than $850. As you have done here, I'd play up the good qualities in the Craiglist ad and I would have lots of photos showing both the good and bad.
Old 02 Jul 2018, 08:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Handy, she lives in LA, not Arkansas! Never price anything below a grand. At a minimum, ask for $1150. That means she will take $1000. You can take it to CarMax to get an idea, at least it is a clean, easy transaction. You can also try kbb.com. These cars are everywhere and with obvious body damage I would not expect much.
Old 02 Jul 2018, 09:59 am
Banned

Using Kelley Blue Book and zip code 90001 for Los Angeles, vehicle color white since the OP did not list the color, and manual transmission, NA engine:

I selected FAIR condition, which is the lowest category they offer, but you will also have to deduct for the obvious body damage:

Using the same selection criteria but my zip code, Private Party would be $1643-$3154.

And using the zip code for Rogers, AR Private Party would be $1604-$3115.

But again, you would have to deduct something for the body damage.

Last edited by rckstein; 02 Jul 2018 at 10:12 am.
Old 02 Jul 2018, 08:16 pm
Young Cruiser

The "Rule of California cars" applies. Add 40%, at least. lol. Just look at CL orange county, CA., and then Phoenix. When I sell mine, I'll drive it over there first! JK ;-)
Old 02 Jul 2018, 08:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have looked at your year Pt Cruisers and they average $1400 in Ventura north of Los Angeles.

I would suggest posting some pictures of your Pt Cruiser to give it a more accurate price you might get for it.
Old 03 Jul 2018, 12:17 am
Regular Cruiser

In my mind pricing it at 1400-1600 would be a good starting point. If a vehicle is mechanically sound some people won't care about the cosmetics. The cruiser would be a perfect car for someone who wants a work vehicle such as someone who needs to haul tools to a work site and isn't worried about additional dents or scratches.
Old 03 Jul 2018, 07:21 am
Dedicated Cruiser

You can always come down on your asking price but you can't jack it up.

Private PT's sales in the Ormond Beach, Daytona Beach, Florida area, undamaged, are in the $2000 to $4000 range. One used car lot listed a 2007 at $8900 and a 2003 for $6900. Who knows how long they'll wait to get their price?

Your PT is damaged. Emphasize the positives.
Good luck. Happy Ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 03 Jul 2018 at 08:45 am.
Old 03 Jul 2018, 08:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Handy, she lives in LA, not Arkansas! Never price anything below a grand. At a minimum, ask for $1150. That means she will take $1000. You can take it to CarMax to get an idea, at least it is a clean, easy transaction. You can also try kbb.com. These cars are everywhere and with obvious body damage I would not expect much.
My pricing was for my area as I said. I'm sure LA pricing might be higher. But when smog testing is factored in, it seems older cars don't fair much better than here.

From what I've seen and experienced, you can't really use Kelley or NADA to price an older low-end car. This is because the majority of these old cars sell either by owners or from small used car dealers that don't report. The best way to gauge value is by what the cars actually sell for on Craigslist. To get that, you have to watch ads on Craigslist over time. Owners will list their cars high but continue to lower the price until the car sales. And even then, final sale price will often be somewhere close but below the last price given. I do this as a hobby always watching for my next project car. That's why I'm so confident in my estimate.

A PT Cruiser with any substantial body damage is "totaled" based on insurance standards. And the wholesale value is salvage. Most used car dealers will not touch a PT with substantial body damage. At local auto auctions, these are usually only purchased by scrappers. That leaves private sales. And the primary way to gauge this is Craigslist which I described above. And here, these cars usually sale under $1,000.

The magic of sub-$1000 vehicles is that they sale fast. Even on this forum, people that buy their PT's under $1000 often boast about it and even put it in their signature. This is a real physiological attraction if you want to sell a car fast as the OP wants to do. Again, if LA prices are 50% higher even for salvage-level cars, then maybe the asking price should be right below $1500. As already mentioned, you can lower the price if it doesn't sell just like most people on Craigslist already do.
ptprice, chuzz and JDK52 like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Jul 2018 at 11:19 am.
Old 05 Jul 2018, 06:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhendrie View Post
Hey folks - so alas, the time has come to sell my PT. I was side-swiped a couple of weeks ago, and have decided to replace vs. repair. I was wondering if anyone could help me with pricing it nicely for a private sale? I'm basically looking to put a price on it that will move it quickly. I recently lost my job, so every bit helps. Basically, here's what I've got:

2004 PT Ltd. Ed. 77k miles, leather interior, 5 disc cd, mood roof, premium wheels. 1 owner - Located in Los Angeles.

The good: In terms of running, she runs I think as nicely as she ever has done, no issues, and everything works. I don't keep good service records, but kept up with the regular stuff, and in the last year had the coolant flushed, spark plugs and cables replaced, and motor mounts replaced. The controller arms went about a year ago, and those were replaced, and the fan in front of the radiator has been replaced. Otherwise, its been a low cost to run car.

The bad: I was side swiped on the drivers side. The car has small-medium size dents running the length of the drivers side of the car. The rear passenger door pushes against the drivers door when you open it, requiring more force then usual to open the door. The panel right in front of the drivers door is bent in.

The ugly: The rear of the car has experienced significant clear-coat peeling.

I have a CarMax near me, but I imagine their offer would be a big low-ball. So I was thinking about putting it on Craigslist, but am unsure how to price it. Any advice would be appreciated!!

thanks,
Matthew
wow motor mounts done. That's an expensive one. Did you have the timing belt/water pump/tensioner done?

How bad is the damage from the side swipe? Post a picture of it here. Most PT cruisers have peeling clear coat on the bumpers from bumping into things. Anybody buying a decade old pt cruiser, doesn't care about paint. They want a working car.

I live in Los Angeles - the biggest issue that can bring price down would be the side-swipe. People will think you either scratched a wall or a car ran into you. If it looks bad, I wouldn't expect more than $1,200. If its not that bad, I'd list it for $2,000. If the timing belt was done $2,500.

Handy, cars over here in California are expensive. That's why I was willing to go pick yours up before! (BTW I ended up getting a Toyota Highlander Hybrid - and sorry for low balling you on the price. Thank goodness I didn't get it. I'm sure I would have needed new exhaust which would be $$$ here)

77,000 miles is really low. Also, I'd check craigslist to see other pt cruisers for sale by owner and by dealer. That should give you an estimate on price. And list the price higher than you are expecting to get for it.

Tags
craigslist, sell, selling