Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hello! Newbie PT owner...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2004, 11:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hello! Newbie PT owner...

Hi everyone! I'm a new PT owner, have had my 2001 LE for about a month now and love it. I've been perusing the forums for this whole month and decided to pop in and say hello finally Below is a pic of my ride. It came with the flames on it, I've added a few other odds and ends to it as well.

I originally looked at the PTs back when they came out, but all the talk about them being underpowered turned me off. I've always looked longingly at them going down the road though My Honda CRV was getting up there in mileage, and the deal on this '01 was too good to pass up so I finally pulled the trigger. I didn't get to test drive it as I bought it from a dealership in another state; I figured if it was horribly underpowered, I could go with the Hahn turbo kit. Much to my surprise, it actually gets around pretty good for a 4 cylinder automatic. Performance is much better than the CRV in fact. Really I love the PT, I tell everyone I feel like I'm driving around in a ZZ Top video [8]

After reading the many posts regarding Whipple superchargers and Hahn turbos, I finally decided that neither is worth the time and expense. The bottom end of the older PTs just isn't up to serious induction efforts. I figure it's better to drive the '01 a few years and buy a used '03 or '04 turbo later. I test drove an '04 GT before buying the '01 and it is quite impressive. But I can wait to take advantage of the lousy PT resale value By the way, I've read a lot of complaints about the poor resale value. Heck, I think it's great! I got a steal on the '01!

By the way, part of the reason I'm not in a hurry to beef up the performance is I have a few other vehicles to fulfill the need for speed Here are two of them posing with the croozer:

PS, thanks for all the useful posts. This is a great place to check out all those accessories before you buy. The search engine works great for that, the people here have tried EVERYTHING out there and reported on the results! Great stuff!
Old 15 Jul 2004, 11:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the wacky world of PT ownership PT-Tres! Heh, nobody ever talks about the good side of low resale pricing - BUYING!!

I guess your crotch-rockets will certainly satisfy your need for speed when it calls. Kinda hard to compete with that sort of acceleration on 4 wheels without dropping several hundred grand!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 01:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the welcome Mike! I've run across your posts, very nice PT you have. Great color.

Yeah, the bikes are a rush. High 10 second quarters on 2 wheels seems a LOT faster than the same on 4 wheels! I've been taking is easy lately, I got a wild hair and took the Ninja (not in pic) up to 140 (indicated) going home one evening just to "see what she could do". Road was wide open, but going that fast you close on traffic pretty quick! I had slowed way down as there was some traffic up ahead when a trooper going the other way hit the median and rolled the marbles [B)] He had clocked me at 89. 15 seconds sooner and I'm sure I would have been in cuffs! By the way, in Texas you can only take driver's ed to dismiss a ticket if it's less than 25 mph over the speed limit. I was in a 65, so barely squeaked under. Maybe it's better if I don't get a GT
Old 16 Jul 2004, 02:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

[^]
Welcome aboard. I am still new here too and everyone is very nice here. Nice flames too!

SouthBay PT\'s...Coming Soon
Old 16 Jul 2004, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hope you know your '01 has more extras than just the flames - the bumpers have been painted, rear bumper step guard, wind deflectors, beltline stripe - yours is already modded!
Welcome.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Jul 2004, 08:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Welcome to the forum. I see a theme, matching flames!!! QSD is correct with his observations. Good luck and happy motoring. Haven't seen the eye decal for years, cool

Gonz
Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:16 am
Young Cruiser

PT-Tres, Welcome to the forum and to cruising. Grab a hold of something tight, you're in for one heck of a ride, out on the road and in here on the forum [?].
Old 16 Jul 2004, 12:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey, thanks everyone! I'm feeling right at home already

==Nice flames too!==

Thank you! They're shade-shift, they look gold mostly but shift to burgundy at extreme angles.

==the bumpers have been painted, rear bumper step guard, wind deflectors, beltline stripe - yours is already modded! ==

I was wondering about the bumpers as most '01's I've seen have the grey bumpers. Were the painted bumpers a factory option? The car is really loaded, it seems to have all the options (including 4 wheel disk & leather interior) except the heated seats. I added the sunroof deflector, aluminum door pins and stainless steel sill plates, but the rest is how it arrived.

==I see a theme, matching flames!!! ==

LOL! Yeah, I'm a nut for flames. The Buell (bike on the left) has them too although you can't tell in that pic.

==Haven't seen the eye decal for years==

Mooneyes still sells them! In fact I just put them on about 2 weeks ago. Here's a link to them:

http://69.20.89.230/index.asp?PageAc...ROD&ProdID=416

And of course I had to have a Rat Fink key chain for it:

http://69.20.89.230/index.asp?PageAc...ROD&ProdID=683

And I just ordered a Rat Fink shift knob:

http://69.20.89.230/index.asp?PageAc...ROD&ProdID=618

It's an automatic, but I'm getting that shifter conversion from PTCruiserParts.com so I can adapt the ball to it.

==you're in for one heck of a ride==

Thanks, I think my credit card is in for a heck of a ride too There are way too many cool accessories available!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 12:58 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

, PT-Tres.
Nice PT [^] and cool-looking bikes. [8D] See you like your toys! [?]
Old 16 Jul 2004, 02:23 pm
Young Cruiser

PT-Tres
Welcome, and I sure like the looks of your Cruiser.