Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power steering loss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2018, 12:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Power steering loss

Not a good morning. Finally had two rear tires put on the PT, leave the tire place and loose power steering about 6 miles away while turning into Walmarts. Park and fluid leaking out. Made it home about another 8 miles away. Letting it cool so I can get a better look at the situation if I even can.

Searching the issue on here looks like it's just not a simple fix. My question is if I leave it with out fixing will driving the car with no power assist steering be bad for the car? I'm thinking it would be a good workout for the old arms.
Thanks guys / gals !!
Old 15 Jul 2018, 01:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Power steering loss

Sorry to hear about your eventful morning!

In regards to your diagnosis, I would top off the reservoir and then start it up. See where the leak is. Keep in mind, it may only leak when the wheel is turned one way or another, so you could have a helper crank the wheel back and forth with the engine going while you grab a flashlight and check for leaks.

Keep in mind, power steering systems also operate at very high pressures, in some cars those little tiny pumps can crank out over 1,600 PSI, so start with the obvious: Check to make sure none of the lines have come disconnected or have any major holes in the, before you resort to replacing the pump/reservoir/rack. Good luck!

Old 15 Jul 2018, 03:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I drove mine for about 2 months before I replaced the pump, I havn't had any problems.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 15 Jul 2018, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

After blocking up the car and spending a considerable amount of time under there checking the lines I think I need to replace the rack. The leak when I noticed it after the steering gave out was on the right side by wheel. The lines on the rack have a lot of rust on them, especially the right side. Also the boot on the right side of the rack is soaked with fluid.

Any thoughts on replacing the rack? I see them complete on Amazon for about 130.00. The 2 lines going up to the reservoir seem to be in good shape. This car is from up north where the winter road treatments cause havok on autos.
Old 15 Jul 2018, 05:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456mich View Post
After blocking up the car and spending a considerable amount of time under there checking the lines I think I need to replace the rack. The leak when I noticed it after the steering gave out was on the right side by wheel. The lines on the rack have a lot of rust on them, especially the right side. Also the boot on the right side of the rack is soaked with fluid.

Any thoughts on replacing the rack? I see them complete on Amazon for about 130.00. The 2 lines going up to the reservoir seem to be in good shape. This car is from up north where the winter road treatments cause havok on autos.
I think my grandpa told me its a 1.5-2 hour book time job, thought I had an issue with it at one point and was considering replacing. Depends if your bolts snap off too, Could be a pain

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 15 Jul 2018, 06:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had my power steering rack replaced last year with the same symptoms as yours.

Was charged $210 for the rack and 2.5 hours labor. A new power steering rack will come with new inner tie rods as well. I decided to to also have my mechanic replace the outer tie rods for peace of mind while everything was apart and got an alignment afterwards.

Between everything I paid $500
Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, Zapco Z400-C4SL competition amplifier, 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 86k
Powerstop Z23 evolution front brakes
Sound System
Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, Bē Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVXv3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver. Stinger fan. ACR1 Bass knob

#LoudLife

Both powered by Mobil1 oil and K&N filters
Old 16 Jul 2018, 09:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

I paid $40 for mine out of a pull a part yard. Took me just a few minutes to grab it because the engine and trans were gone. Replacing mine took me about 6 frigging hours. A helper would have been handy as well as an overhead rack. I won't ever do another one and won't do one for anyone else. I'd have to charge $1000. The hardest part was getting the drift pin back into the steering link. That and I effed up when I got the steering wheel connection piece stuck up under the firewall and didn't notice it. I kept trying to jack up the rack and the car started lifting. That was my first and last one. If you have the money, just pay someone else to do it. It's a royal pain.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 17 Jul 2018, 06:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just another question. Would the rack and pinion with a slow leak have caused the engine light to come on? I think this has been going for a few weeks and all of a sudden totally went. I see that there is some kind of sensor on the r & b.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 07:42 am
Veteran Cruiser

There's a pressure switch on the drivers side of the rack, but IDK if it would trip a CEL or not. I'm sure someone else will know, though.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 18 Jul 2018, 08:58 am
Senior Cruiser

The pressure switch on my '01 LE sent a code and the light came on.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!