Transmission problem cause sudden overheat

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tuggajb
  • 1 Post By Carl48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2018, 10:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Transmission problem cause sudden overheat

Decided to go up and get some Taco Bell tonight. My 2010 was facing out so I jumped in it, it hadn't been moved in a while anyway. No problems on the way up.

As I was leaving TB, it seemed the car was accelerating a little slow, no lights and I just thought it was me since I've been driving the '04 5-Speed. I had to stop for no lights and was staying with traffic fine. As I turned onto the road that would bring me back to my street, suddenly, a chime, the water temp light, I looked at the gauge and it was climbing fast. I took my foot off the gas a coasted to the first spot I could pull off and shut off the car.

On opening the hood, I patted the radiator hose and radiator, they were hot, but, no more than you'd expect from a car that was just running a couple of miles. The heat seemed to be coming from below the engine on the transmission side with just a light bit of steam, that only lasted a moment.

The bad news, my cell phone was sitting on my desk as I'd walked out without it! The good news, a good Samaritan stopped and he had his phone!! Called my road service and we waited.

When the tow truck arrived he asked if the car would move to give him room to pull in front of it. The car started fine and the temp gauge went immediately to normal, I put it in reverse and just took my foot off the brake and backed it up enough and put it in park. I let it idle while the driver was positioning his truck and the temp never went off normal and the engine idled as smooth as always. When the driver was ready, he came back to drive the car up onto his truck, it took him two tries and he said he thought it might be a trans problem because it did not want to drive up onto his truck and the engine seemed to have plenty of power.

There was a fluid on the ground where my car was sitting, it did not seem to be radiator fluid, but, we were unable to tell what it was.

Now I have to decide to take it to my mech, literally across the street or call the dealership I bought it from, the drive train is under warranty.

Any ideas?
Old 21 Jul 2018, 12:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission problem cause sudden overheat

I would suggest taking it across the street to your mechanic for a visual check to see what is leaking underneath the Pt Cruiser. Do not have the mechanic actually do any repairs until it can be determined if the repair can be covered under the warranty or not.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 02:11 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Crawl under the front bumper and take a look at the lower radiator hose to make sure it didn't somehow pop off. Of course you can also check under the radiator cap to make sure there is coolant up to the top and that the reservoir is at the right level.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 07:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

Since it appears that you don't work on your own vehicles, just take it across the street. Don't do anything to it at all.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 12:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

chuzz: Since you don't now me or anything about me, I hope you don't mind if I just ignore you.

rsrocket: The overflow reservoir looked fine, I could see from the top the lower hose was attached and looked good, top hose also. When I popped the radiator cap it appeared to just be covering the thermostat. Filled a large bottle with water and started the car, it started fine and began to pour in the water. At first it came right up to the top, then was gone. I tilted the bottle up and then just stuck it in the radiator.

Shut the engine off, it looks as if I may have run over something that cut the lower hose the entire length. That would explain the suddenness of what happened.

Oh, and just FYI, the fan appears to be working fine.

I'll get the hose replaced and service the transmission, probably cooked the tranny fluid and a new filter. Hopefully, no other damage was caused, but, we will see!
Old 21 Jul 2018, 01:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hope you just have minor repairs
Good luck
ajhockey3 likes this.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 08:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

theddgm, I didn't intend to offend you and apologize for that. I just figured that since you said you had a mechanic that you didn't work on your own cars. My bad. I suspect that the lower hose was probably the original and just split due to time and mileage. It happens. I would suggest that as a precautionary measure, you replace the upper hose and heater hoses too. After all, they're the same age and have the same mileage on them, right? And if you want to ignore me, I'm okay with that.

Last edited by chuzz; 23 Jul 2018 at 06:53 am.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 11:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

chuzz, I may be the one who overreacted and for that I apologize! For whatever reason your post just hit me wrong. . .

For me, working on my own cars is problematic at best for physical reasons. Which is somewhat humbling for a guy not that long ago would never have thought to take something to a mechanic.

The car only has 103,000, which to me is far too soon to have had a hose go and from the looks of it it was ripped by something not burst. But, erring on the side of caution, I'd already decided to have all the water hoses changed like you suggested.

I'm only hoping no damage was done to the transmission. The engine seems to be fine.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 05:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dgm View Post

I'm only hoping no damage was done to the transmission.
If the hose suddenly got ripped open as you suspect and as you say you shut down as soon as you got high temp indications then my guess is that you didn't drive the vehicle long enough to do any damage to the engine or transmission.

Does the trans fluid smell burnt ?

Otherwise, probably a good idea to change all the hoses as you mentioned.
pt06 likes this.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 06:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

We're cool,Bro. I've done that myself. Take a close look at the transmission pan and check it for dents. If it's dented, you might want to replace it when you can. I've seen some dented so bad that they crush up against the filter and with no fluid able to go through the filter, you can burn up a transmission. If it's shifting okay and you don't have any trouble codes on the CEL or smell anything, I'd guess you dodged a bullet.