• 3 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 2 Post By the3dgm
  • 1 Post By funkyfred

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jul 2018, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Make New Again?

My wife has 2003 GT Turbo that is starting to be to unreliable for her to drive She likes the car and would prefer to keep it but is also considering getting a new car. Are there any shops that specialize in making PT's new again? That would be an option and cheaper than buying a new car. We are in the So. Cal area. One of the problems I believe is created by the turbo generating so much heat that everything rubber and plastic under the hood deteriorates. I saw a turbo car, can't remember the brand, but it had a 6" tube with a fan that pulled hot air from the top of the engine compartment.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 09:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Make New Again?

You would need to find a Chrysler mechanic with lots of experience working on the PT Cruiser.
I had that at my local dealership when I bought my 5th Cruiser, that needed a little TLC. Sadly, no more.
Thankfully, the engine and turbo were not problems.

I have had 6 Cruisers now. The current turbo has 123K on the clock.
4 of my 6 have been turbos; and I have never identified a problem with excessive engine/turbo heat in the engine compartment.
My current is a 2003!

Maybe it's just age, and a new car is in order.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 31 Jul 2018, 11:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Make New Again?

Have faith. It can definitely be done.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Aug 2018 at 12:06 am.
Old 01 Aug 2018, 08:31 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH57 View Post
My wife has 2003 GT Turbo that is starting to be to unreliable for her to drive She likes the car and would prefer to keep it but is also considering getting a new car. Are there any shops that specialize in making PT's new again? That would be an option and cheaper than buying a new car. We are in the So. Cal area. One of the problems I believe is created by the turbo generating so much heat that everything rubber and plastic under the hood deteriorates. I saw a turbo car, can't remember the brand, but it had a 6" tube with a fan that pulled hot air from the top of the engine compartment.
Ship it to Handy Cruiser with a suitcase full of cash and let him do it for you. As you can see, he's pretty "Handy" at it.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 01 Aug 2018, 09:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm just glad he's an engineer and not a parking lot attendant!
Handy_Cruiser and rob302 like this.

Graphite Metallic 2004 Base, 2.4L n.a. 5-speed
Old 01 Aug 2018, 01:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Anything can be restored... all it takes is time and money, lots of both.

The question is, where do you start, and more importantly, where do you draw the line. Other than the normal wear items; every thing from wiper blades to battery, brakes, and tires; what is more likely to fail next? On a 15 year old car (you didn't mention the mileage), the answer is most anything.

Being in SoCal you at least don't have to worry about the body rotting out.
Otherwise, on a PT, pay attention to the front suspension... control arms, ball joints, struts, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings and links. Rear suspension... watts link and shocks. Engine... motor mounts and , of course, timing belt.

If you are handy and like working on cars as sort of a hobby, keep it and have fun.
Otherwise, time to buy your wife a new car.
Old 02 Aug 2018, 01:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Anything can be restored... all it takes is time and money, lots of both.

The question is, where do you start, and more importantly, where do you draw the line. Other than the normal wear items; every thing from wiper blades to battery, brakes, and tires; what is more likely to fail next? On a 15 year old car (you didn't mention the mileage), the answer is most anything.

Being in SoCal you at least don't have to worry about the body rotting out.
Otherwise, on a PT, pay attention to the front suspension... control arms, ball joints, struts, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings and links. Rear suspension... watts link and shocks. Engine... motor mounts and , of course, timing belt.

If you are handy and like working on cars as sort of a hobby, keep it and have fun.
Otherwise, time to buy your wife a new car.
I have every single one of those suspension parts in my garage, brand new (still in original and unopened boxes - Tape still on the cardboard - absolutely nothing has even seen the light of day) from Rock Auto. Wanna buy it at a discount? (No cheap parts either, all MOOG, mopar, or quality products. OEM rubber, no polyurethane. I also have the front tower strut brace and the rear sway bar with installation hardware that have not been installed. I ALSO have struts, mounts, and springs for the front and struts for the rear) Essentially ALL suspension that can be replaced, is sitting in my garage. I'm sure I have the invoice in my email with shipping info as well if you want it.

I'd be willing to sell it all to you at a discount or even sell you my car with it all installed. My car just had the timing belt done too. (Btw, I live 20 miles east from DTLA)

Feel free to reply or send a private message
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by funkyfred; 02 Aug 2018 at 01:19 pm.