PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Charging issue

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Sep 2018, 06:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Charging issue

Hi folks, I'm looking to put my '01 LE back on the toad this month after a couple month hiatus. During the time it's been off the road (unregistered) I've at least taken it around the block a few times on Sundays and let it run for 15 minutes in the driveway. After that, I take the battery out and leave it on a trickle charger inside the basement at home.

Last week I took it out for a spin around the block and after a few minutes, my battery light came on and smoke was coming from the alternator belt area with a belt like smell, took out my multimeter and battery read 11.9 with the car running. I put it on ramps and took the splash guard off and every pulley was spinning as it should. I'll be taking the belts off tomorrow and will check for pulley resistance. Is there anything else I should look for besides that? I just find it hard to believe the alternator could just completely die in those 10 miles or so I've put on my PT in a couple months.

Currently off the road

Sound System
Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, Zapco Z400-C4SL competition amplifier, 2 10" MTX subwoofers, Rockford Fosgate P1T-S Tweets, Rockford Fosgate 6x8"s , Rockford Fosgate 6.5"'s, AudioControl 24XS crossover

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 55k
Chrome grille and wheel covers
Powerstop Z23 evolution front brakes
Old 02 Sep 2018, 06:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Charging issue

Whoops, I mean on the road lol
rckstein likes this.

Currently off the road

Sound System
Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, Zapco Z400-C4SL competition amplifier, 2 10" MTX subwoofers, Rockford Fosgate P1T-S Tweets, Rockford Fosgate 6x8"s , Rockford Fosgate 6.5"'s, AudioControl 24XS crossover

Newest Car
Old 02 Sep 2018, 06:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonN View Post
Whoops, I mean on the road lol
I saw that

You can go back and correct the typo, just click the Edit button in the lower right corner of your original post.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 02 Sep 2018, 09:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would check the wiring going to the generator before removing it.
Old 03 Sep 2018, 02:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Jon; The battery should read about 12.5 volts. Recharge it.

The alternator should spin freely with the belt removed. I'm one state south of you and our cars are sprayed with Malloy-Acid [salt,calcium chloride, etc] during the winter months. I've had 2 Nippodenso alternators freeze up after sitting outside for a few months/years. The iron laminations rusted and cracked the housing. The rotor would drag on the inside of the laminations.

The voltage with the motor running should be 13.5 - 14.5 volts.
Old 03 Sep 2018, 07:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

You definitely need to remove the alternator belt and spin the pulley. Sounds to me like you may have a bad bearing that's about to lock up on you. Or it already has. Being the frugal man that I am, I'd remove the alternator, take it apart and put new bearings and brushes in it. But, I don't know your financial situation. I'm on a fixed income and EVERY penny I have is crucial.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 03 Sep 2018, 08:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well, all the pulleys checked out fine. I did notice some corrosion on the black wire that goes from the alternator the battery. I was going to clean it up and went to undo the bolt over that goes into the alternator that holds the cable down.

Barely any force and the end of the bolt snapped off inside the alternator. I've done bolt extraction before, but this piece is deep down and I can't see what I'll be doing and it isnt large, and now I can't put the bolt back in, as the threads aren't catching anything. Ugh, this sucks.

Currently off the road

Sound System

Newest Car
Old 04 Sep 2018, 01:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Jon; pull the alternator out. If my memory is right, the 'bolt' that you broke is a special headed stud that is put in from the inside and held together with a 1/2" [outer size] hex nut. It is insulated from the housing.
Old 04 Sep 2018, 01:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Same thing happen to me. The end of the bolt sheared off as I attempted to unbolt the battery wire. Fortunately, there is a thick insulating washer I could leave out and had enough thread to grab that bolt. Don't worry, it'll not short out because there is a plastic protector around the terminal. However, do not over-tight it and use ant-seize compound. One year later it is still holding.
chuzz likes this.
Old 04 Sep 2018, 03:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If it broke off flush, you're going to have to open the case and replace it. That'd be a good time to have a look at the brushes too. Maybe drop in a new set, just in case. Be good for another 100,000+.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.