Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need advise on converting SOOO BIG's air cleaner box to second generation

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2018, 06:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Need advise on converting SOOO BIG's air cleaner box to second generation

I haven't yet acquired, what I thought, were all the necessary parts to convert SOOO BIG, an 005 PT, to a second generation air cleaner box. On Friday I drove across town 15 miles to the LKQ yard to get an air cleaner box lid from a late model PT. Additionally the Chrysler section of the yard is about a third of a mile hike from the office. I successfully found a decent air cleaner box lid from an 06 PT and thought I'd done my due diligence, only to find when I got it back home it's a different, smaller measurement than SOOO BIG's original 05 air cleaner box.
I'd thought I could just swap the lids out. Not to be dismayed, I strapped on my junk yard sneakers again yesterday, and with all confidence, drove back over, hiked that long treck back to the Chrysler section of our LKQ yard and found a good 06 PT air cleaner box. It had a pristine Bosch filter that'll save me $20.00.
I ran the lid and bottom (see photo #2) through the dish washer to remove dust and grunge. One of the small freedoms of being divorced. After church today I tried to fit the 06 box in place only to find the back positioning tang on the base bracket is too far back relative to the two bottom positioning base pins holes on the 06 air cleaner box. (see photo #4)
PLEASE ADVISE. So before I drive over to the LKQ yard tomorrow, what's the difference in the early and later PT bottom air cleaner box base bracket?
Will that later base bracket bolt right onto the early model PT?
I should have been smart enough to ask these questions in the first place.
The bracket in question (see photo #4) attaches behind the battery base tray and just in front of the large under hood fuse box. Before I make one more long LKQ hike, is the base bracket the only other part that has to be remove from a later model PT salvage donor to allow the proper mounting of the later model air cleaner box in SOOO BIG? You can see the bottom of both air cleaner boxes in photo #3.
What was Chrysler's reason for changing the air cleaner boxes in the later model PTs?
Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_SOOO BIG's05aircleanerboxll.jpg IMG_06aircleanerboxandnewBoshfilterl.jpg
Above. SOOO BIG's early 05 original air cleaner box . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(#2) salvaged 06 air cleaner box
Below. (#3)bottom of both air cleaner boxes. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . under hood view of SOOO BIG's 05 original air cleaner box base bracket
IMG_comparingthe bottomofthe two boxesll.jpgIMG_existing05airboxbasehardwarewithrearmounttanktofarrearwardll.jpg
rockandroller likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 09 Sep 2018, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need advise on converting SOOO BIG's air cleaner box to second generation

In the Parts Catalogs, this is what's listed:

'05 MOPAR 04793737AC: (from your pic)

'06 MOPAR 04891656AA:

The reason why the Gen2 airbox is smaller most likely has to do with the larger TIPM that is mounted on the airbox bracket, directly behind the airbox and therefore the reason the bracket had to be redesigned.

I don't believe that you will be able to mount the Gen1 fusebox onto the Gen2 bracket.

But if you were bound and determined to make it work, it might be possible to modify it. On the Gen2 bracket, it might be possible to cut the tang off on the right side that wraps around for the TIPM mounting. With that removed, then it would only be a matter if the other 2 mounting tangs on the Gen2 bracket would match up with the corresponding mounting slots on your Gen1 fuse box.

If there were both models in the salvage yard, you should be able to take measurements from center-to-center on both bracket mounting tangs to see if they match.

The mounting holes on both brackets where it mounts to the transmission bracket appear to be the same.
ptprice likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 09 Sep 2018 at 09:22 pm.
Old 09 Sep 2018, 08:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Need advise on converting SOOO BIG's air cleaner box to second generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
....What was Chrysler's reason for changing the air cleaner boxes in the later model PTs?
One of the reasons is because they removed the battery post from the TIPM, so in order to jump the car you needed the G2 cut out.
ptprice likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 09 Sep 2018, 08:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have a spare TIPM and the measurement (center-center red arrows on pic) of the mounting tabs on the TIPM that would lock into the slots on the air box bracket is: 4-7/8"

You could take measurements on the same tabs on the fuse box on your PT and see how they compare to the measurement that I just provided from the Gen2 TIPM.

In addition, if the salvage yard that you went to had a Gen1 with the fusebox still in it, you could take the TIPM bracket from a Gen2 and see if the fusebox will lock onto it. The only thing you would have to do is to flatten out on the right side of the bracket the tang that wraps around the side of the TIPM, and you could do that with a hammer.
ptprice likes this.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 09 Sep 2018, 09:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have made a comparison below of the 2 brackets, and added arrows for reference:

Gen1:

Gen2:

The right green arrows on both brackets reference points appear to match and both brackets should mount onto the transmission mount.

However, where the difference is with the blue arrows in reference to the green arrows.

On the Gen1 bracket, notice the blue arrows in relation to the green arrows.

On the Gen2 bracket, the blue arrows move to the right of the green arrows.

Assuming that the center-to-center measurement was the same on both the Gen1 fusebox and the Gen2 TIPM and the fusebox would lock onto the TIPM bracket, being that the tangs are located further to the right than the fusebox bracket, that would most likely cause the Gen1 fusebox to hit the strut tower.

As you can see in the pic from ptprice's PT, the Gen1 fusebox is already tight to the strut tower, and IMO, there would not be any additional room to move the fusebox closer to the strut tower, as what would be required to use the TIPM bracket.
ptprice likes this.

USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 09 Sep 2018 at 10:16 pm.
Old 09 Sep 2018, 10:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

What I want to know is how you got an Optima battery in there. When I went on their website, they said they didn't have one that fit my car ('02)
rockandroller likes this.
Old 09 Sep 2018, 10:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
What I want to know is how you got an Optima battery in there. When I went on their website, they said they didn't have one that fit my car ('02)
This has been discussed in a couple of other threads and the Optima 34R will fit the standard battery tray.

Yet another battery question! (air filter too)

Need new battery

I'm just waiting for my current battery to crap out and I will be adding the Optima to my PT.

USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 09 Sep 2018 at 10:24 pm.
Old 09 Sep 2018, 10:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

But here is another possibility:

Providing that the Gen1 fusebox will lock onto the tabs of the TIPM bracket, and the bracket needed to be moved slightly left, there appears to be enough meat on the bottom of the bracket that you could drill new holes (yellow arrows) to allow the TIPM bracket to mount onto the transmission mount.

This should then position the bracket in the correct position that allows fusebox clearance with the strut tower and you could use the Gen2 airbox.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 09 Sep 2018, 11:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I have made a comparison below of the 2 brackets, and added arrows for reference:

Gen1:

Gen2:

The green arrows on both brackets reference points appear to match and both brackets should mount onto the transmission mount.

However, where the difference is with the blue arrows in reference to the green arrows.

On the Gen1 bracket, notice the blue arrows in relation to the green arrows.

On the Gen2 bracket, the blue arrows move to the right of the green arrows.

Assuming that the center-to-center measurement was the same on both the Gen1 fusebox and the Gen2 TIPM and the fusebox would lock onto the TIPM bracket, being that the tangs are located further to the right than the fusebox bracket, that would most likely cause the Gen1 fusebox to hit the strut tower.

As you can see in the pic from ptprice's PT, the Gen1 fusebox is already tight to the strut tower, and IMO, there would not be any additional room to move the fusebox closer to the strut tower, as what would be required to use the TIPM bracket.
There's quite a difference in the first and second generation air cleaner box mounts. Thanks for the input. Obviously I'll have to keep the TIPM box mounts consistent with SOOO BIG's existing TIPM box with the positive terminal on the left side.There's a possibility of jurying something up with a bit of modification of the two mounts.
The wide center tang from both mounts is located horizontally in the same place. The second generation center tang appears has a 90 degree bend at the bottom bringing it out quite a bit more. See tiny attached photo of the second generation mount pictured up side down. That wide center tang looks to me like it's got a 90 degree bend at the bottom. If not there'd be more of it visible up side down. Possibly accommodating the narrowness of the second generation air cleaner box? Maybe just a bit of bending would do it? s-l64.jpg

Another shot in the dark option might be to modify the back of the second generation plastic air cleaner box making it wider in the rubber slotted area. By epoxy plastic welding a portion of the back center that encases the rubber slotted section from a salvaged first generation box. Looks like I'll be spending some quality time in the Chrysler section of the LKQ yard this week. Understanding just what I'm looking at make it easier to figure out. The simplest, easiest solution is usually the best.Thanks. Happy PTin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 10 Sep 2018 at 12:11 am.
Old 09 Sep 2018, 11:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
I used the Optima 34R Red top battery. A perfect fit in SOOO BIG and as you can see, one year into service and it's a clean as the day I installed it. A bit costly at $174.12 from AutoZone but it has a three year unlimited warranty. No questions ask. Full replacement. Just an amazing battery. It's called AGM technology. Absorbent Glass Mat technology. When I discovered it fit, I advised Optima. I guess they didn't want to change their specs for a car no longer produced.
Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_existing05airboxbasehardwarewithrearmounttanktofarrearwardll.jpg

Last edited by ptprice; 09 Sep 2018 at 11:45 pm.