Advertisements
09 Cruiser Head Removal w/o Timing Belt Removal

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2018, 11:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 09 Cruiser Head Removal w/o Timing Belt Removal

Hello everyone!
I've decided to pull the head finally. Too much overheating.

Does anyone know if it's possible to somehow secure the timing belt so I can pull the cams out?
It seems easy to do. Just loosen the cam bolts and slide them out while holding onto the belt. Maybe using a hook to keep tension on the belt while removing them.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere except in another post suggesting to simply move the cams aside.. but apparently there are head bolts directly beneath the cam which would be next to impossible to get at.

So was wondering if I could just secure the belt somehow.
Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?
Thanks!
Old 21 Sep 2018, 12:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 09 Cruiser Head Removal w/o Timing Belt Removal

sure you could get it off, but if you want to re install the head on the same motor you'll have to remove the tensioner. it would be impossible to install w/o screwing up the timing...
boogeyman likes this.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 12:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i think Handy got good at that after a while. LOL

A Potential Shortcut for Removing And Installing PT Camshafts
Old 21 Sep 2018, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambojoe View Post
sure you could get it off, but if you want to re install the head on the same motor you'll have to remove the tensioner. it would be impossible to install w/o screwing up the timing...
Thanks for the reply Rambojoe!
Why would I have to remove the tensioner?
All I'd be doing would be anchoring the belt so it doesn't move(maybe hooks attached to the hood?). That way, I can slip the cams out.. do what I need to and simply slide the cams back in.
Of course I would be marking the belt and the cams so I would put the belt back onto the correct cam teeth.

I don't understand why I would need to touch any of the timing belt components.. can you please elaborate why removing the tensioner would be necessary?

Thanks again!!
Old 21 Sep 2018, 01:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Getting the timing belt on is a bare with out loosing the tension adjuster
If you have not replaced the belt yet should as not much more needs to be removed
boogeyman likes this.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 02:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggajb View Post
Getting the timing belt on is a bare with out loosing the tension adjuster
If you have not replaced the belt yet should as not much more needs to be removed
Not sure what you mean by 'is a bare'? =)
Actually, there's lots more to remove, there's the crankshaft pulley, jacking up car, then engine, motor mounts etc... that's what I'm trying to avoid.

Isn't it possible to use a big bar through the timing belt at the top to hold it up while i remove the cams?

I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to maintain pressure on the belt while i remove them. Can't be that hard I'm thinking.. just wondering if anyone has experience doing something like that... Cheers!
Old 21 Sep 2018, 03:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

I believe he was trying to say, it's a PITA to put the belt on without taking pressure off the tensioner. Also, the suggestion to replace the timing belt while you are working on it might keep you from going back into it 6 months down the road when the belt breaks from having 260 kilometers on it.

These are just suggestions trying to help.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 21 Sep 2018, 03:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

then just give it a go... who am I to blow against the wind! just going at it is the best teacher of all... as long as its your car. not wfies or mom in law... because, well hell, you'll see.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 04:35 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
I believe he was trying to say, it's a PITA to put the belt on without taking pressure off the tensioner. Also, the suggestion to replace the timing belt while you are working on it might keep you from going back into it 6 months down the road when the belt breaks from having 260 kilometers on it.

These are just suggestions trying to help.
Has the timing belt ever been replaced on your PT?

If not, it's one of those jobs, that while it's torn apart, you might as well replace: timing belt, water pump, idler pulley, tensioner, 2 cam seals, crank seal, center motor mount including new bolt.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 05:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you've done a timing belt job before, it only adds a couple hours to the job to remove and reinstall. Taking the head off requires removing the upper and lower intake manifold, fuel injectors, front grill, radiator. That makes removing the P/S pump bolts easier so you can remove the big metal bracket (the biggest challenge in a TB job).

If you try to kludge you way through a HG job while trying to hold the timing belt in perfect position, you may waste more time than it takes to just remove it. I think you'll almost HAVE to at least loosen the tensioner to slip the belt off the camshaft sprockets and there will be almost zero chance of slipping the belt back over the sprockets with the tensioner still in place. Plus you'll never know if your timing is correct if you cannot see the lower crankshaft mark when lining up the camshaft sprockets.

Yes doing a first time TB job on top of a HG job will double the complexity. Once you successfully perform a TB replacement (and replace pulleys, center motor mount and water pump while you're at it) you'll know all the techniques and tricks to do the HG job and not be intimidated by the jacking up and down of the engine, removing and installing the harmonic balancer, etc.

Fortunately, I did the TB job in the spring of 2017 so the HG job this summer was only incrementally more difficult. Each job took me 2 weekends plus a few hours several weeknights in between but that was because of a few rookie mistakes.

Looking at your past posts here:
You never followed up on what you did to fix your oil consumption and misfire problem.
You didn't say what your compression test showed.
What symptoms lead you to believe you need a new head gasket?

If you have overheating problems, what makes you think the headgasket is the problem?

I tore down to the headgasket to solve an overheating problem after 8 months of diagnostics. None of the tests pointed to a blown head gasket.
Coolant pressure test
Exhaust in coolant test
Cylinder compression test
Multiple power flushes for as long as 8+ hours
Different types and modifications of the thermostat
Running the fan on 100% of the time

When I did tear down to the head, I found 3 ports clogged. The head gasket was in excellent shape and the head itself was 100% perfectly flat with zero daylight shown with a straight edge. Unclogging the ports fixed the overheating problem and the car now runs rock solid with a 195F constant coolant temperature.
VsandFords likes this.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 21 Sep 2018 at 06:19 pm.