PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question. Drive and Fix or Sell and Buy?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2018, 04:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Question. Drive and Fix or Sell and Buy?

I have my 08 PT LX and is a great car dont get it wrong but, recently the transmission started slipping in 1st and wiggles into 3rd gear every time. Mechanic has looked at it and with the severity of it, he estimates about a year
or less before it totally breaks. So, I have 2 options.

Option 1- Keep driving it and wait until it breaks while saving money to fix it. Then after fixing it, I wouldn't know if it also caused any damage to the engine. I have heard with getting a new transmission that it would not shift right from the old one because the engine and old transmission worked together and wore together and with new parts they may not sync together as the old one did. any truth to that? because I do not know. It would be a rebuilt transmission with 2 year warranty. Repair estimates from 3 mechanics and the dealer range between $1,400-1,900 US.

Option 2- There is a PT GT for sale by me. 2006 PT GT Green (Like Dark Navy Green) Convertible. Southern Car, Clean Car Fax, No Rust and only 29k miles from a local dealer for $5,999. Convertibles are not my thing but I wouldn't mind it at all. With the GT only having 29k, my thought is that is practically a new car. According to records, oil been changed every 6 months or 3k miles. Whichever came first. Has been driven but not a lot. My guess is it was their second car. No other info yet as I have not gone to see it in person yet which I will be doing tomorrow to look at it and get as much info as I can.

Personally, I would much rather get the GT and then sell my car myself instead of trading it in. (Privately I can get roughly $3,000-$3,500 based on KBB or up to $646 Trade in at a dealer according to KBB) But, I really don't know what to do. I like my Red PT but, I also like the GT. I don't mind the power of my PT but also want more power.

What would you all do? What are your thoughts/concerns on the GT and my PT? I don't know what to do at this point as I want to keep my PT but at the same time I want the GT as well but can't afford both.
Old 23 Sep 2018, 04:15 pm
Banned

Default Re: Question. Drive and Fix or Sell and Buy?

Would that 'vert happen to be this one listed on CarGurus?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...830_isFeatured

You can also use the search feature on CarGurus to search for other PT's in your area.

It's nice looking and in great shape, but for me, I wouldn't have a 'vert, of any vehicle, just due to the fabric top. All somebody has to do is one cut with a knife and the top is ruined. Also the fabric can get loose over time and begins to flop around when driving. To me, a 'vert is a play vehicle and not something practical, I prefer a hardtop.

Last edited by rckstein; 23 Sep 2018 at 04:19 pm.
Old 23 Sep 2018, 04:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Would that 'vert happen to be this one listed on CarGurus?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...830_isFeatured

You can also use the search feature on CarGurus to search for other PT's in your area.

It's nice looking and in great shape, but for me, I wouldn't have a 'vert, of any vehicle, just due to the fabric top. All somebody has to do is one cut with a knife and the top is ruined. Also the fabric can get loose over time and begins to flop around when driving. To me, a 'vert is a play vehicle and not something practical, I prefer a hardtop.
Yeah, That actually is the PT GT I was looking at. Except I saw it on Facebook. lol. I really dont mind the vert. I like it but kind of weary because I never had one. I've ridden in a few but never owned one and the reason I'd buy it is for the 2.4 Turbo, no rust and the low mileage. But, still dont know if it's better to drive and fix or buy and sell.
Old 23 Sep 2018, 05:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Chances are the timing belt has not been replaced and being 12 years old there is a good chance it needs to be replaced due to age.
Old 23 Sep 2018, 05:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Chances are the timing belt has not been replaced and being 12 years old there is a good chance it needs to be replaced due to age.
That is a concern which will be discussed when we see the dealer and see if its been done already. If not, then it will be done and after purchasing it would likely be driven a month and stored for winter anyways.
Old 23 Sep 2018, 05:48 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence View Post
That is a concern which will be discussed when we see the dealer and see if its been done already. If not, then it will be done and after purchasing it would likely be driven a month and stored for winter anyways.
And that could certainly be used as a bargaining chip on their price.

Per the Owner's Manual, the timing belt should be replaced after 10-1/2 years, based on time, since it is a low mileage vehicle, and the vehicle is now 12 years old.

To have all of the timing belt work (timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler pulley, 2 cam seals, crank seal and new center motor mount with new bolt) done at a dealership is around $1500.
Old 23 Sep 2018, 05:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
And that could certainly be used as a bargaining chip on their price.

Per the Owner's Manual, the timing belt should be replaced after 10-1/2 years, based on time, since it is a low mileage vehicle, and the vehicle is now 12 years old.

To have all of the timing belt work (timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler pulley, 2 cam seals, crank seal and new center motor mount with new bolt) done at a dealership is around $1500.
I will never get that done at a dealer. Too expensive. My Mechanic has done the Timing Belts on our PT's and never had an issue. He gets a lot of PT business. A few other people I know who have PT's go to him as well. For the timing belt, water pump, Center mount, seals, we paid $1100 I believe.

IF the timing belt has NOT been done prior or by them, $600 will be coming off that price tag automatically. But, if all checks out and all that has been done, I may ask if they'd do $5600 with all taxes/fees included. Again, if all checks out and I find nothing else wrong with the car. My mechanic also taught me what to check for when looking at vehicles. But, we'll see tomorrow.
Old 23 Sep 2018, 06:13 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence View Post
I will never get that done at a dealer. Too expensive. My Mechanic has done the Timing Belts on our PT's and never had an issue. He gets a lot of PT business. A few other people I know who have PT's go to him as well. For the timing belt, water pump, Center mount, seals, we paid $1100 I believe.

IF the timing belt has NOT been done prior or by them, $600 will be coming off that price tag automatically. But, if all checks out and all that has been done, I may ask if they'd do $5600 with all taxes/fees included. Again, if all checks out and I find nothing else wrong with the car. My mechanic also taught me what to check for when looking at vehicles. But, we'll see tomorrow.
Sure you can have the timing belt work done someplace else, but I would use the highest (dealership) price has a bargaining chip as it's in your favor. Also, per Kelley Blue Book, they have the vehicle priced slightly higher than what it would be for a private party sale. Another reason to use the dealership timing belt price in your favor.

If they doubt whatever figure you give them, you can always go to a dealership and get an estimate for the work.

Find every advantage that you can.

Last edited by rckstein; 23 Sep 2018 at 06:16 pm.
Old 23 Sep 2018, 06:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If you can find a cheap broken pt and swap the trans to your 2008, you can sell the parts car to a scrapper for a few hundred, drive your 2008, and take your time finding your perfect GT. then sell your 2008.

Someone was going to sell me two not running PT s for 400

Last edited by rob302; 23 Sep 2018 at 06:18 pm.
Old 23 Sep 2018, 06:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
If you can find a cheap broken pt and swap the trans to your 2008, you can sell the parts car to a scrapper for a few hundred, drive your 2008, and take your time finding your perfect GT. then sell your 2008.

Someone was going to sell me two not running PT s for 400
tbh, even if timing belt has to be done, this may be the PERFECT GT. GT's around me are non existent. Ones I found either have loads of issues or dont start and have been sitting.

That is an option Rob, but no guarantee THAT transmission dont have issues either. idk. I'll know more tomorrow after I have more info on the GT.

Rckstein- Dealer price for Timing Belt here is $1,600. Thats what they quoted me last time and that was 1 year ago. Doubt that changed. But, will inquire again before we go see the GT. And I know. Also taking my father who is the master at price negotiating. lol. The dealer he buys his Chryslers from hate him for that but love him for buying their cars. lol.