Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Idling High? Too much noise....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Idling High? Too much noise....

I'm a new PT owner, and can't believe I found this site. Help me out here before I have to spend a day at the dealer for something that may be normal. I have an 02 Touring Edition that seems to idle to loud, or to high, or something. It drives great, doesn't seem to have any other problems, just seems a little too loud, especially if you are standing outside of it. I bought it used; it was the first one I actually drove, fell if love with it, and the price and mileage were great, so bought it. Now I'm wondering if there is something wrong with it because of the noise. Anyone else have this, or is it just normal? [:I]
Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

lol, a 4-Banger idling loud!!! Thats a first. If you can still hear each-other talk using a normal volume of voice that it ain't loud enough!!! [8D]

Ok ok, seriously though, does it always seem to be loud or just when it idles. Might be a hole in the exhaust. What RPMs is it at when it idles??

Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just seeem loud when idling, not when driving it. It's idling right at about 1 RPM, maybe just a bit more now and then.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 10:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by saalfl

Just seeem loud when idling, not when driving it. It's idling right at about 1 RPM, maybe just a bit more now and then.
That is a little high. Does it change when the AC is turned on? The idle should be about 750 rpm. It is controlled by the Idle Air Control Motor which receives it's signal from the PCM. There should be codes thrown if the sensors to the PCM are out of whack.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MichaelDay

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by saalfl

That is a little high. Does it change when the AC is turned on? The idle should be about 750 rpm. It is controlled by the Idle Air Control Motor which receives it's signal from the PCM. There should be codes thrown if the sensors to the PCM are out of whack.

Not sure if it's changing with AC on, just haven't listened both ways yet. Will pay attention to it in the morning when I go out. Sounds like I should go ahead and take it in if it's idling higher thatn it should. I try it with and without AC tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 17 Jul 2004, 09:47 am
Young Cruiser

All three of my PTs idled around 1000RPM. Sounds fairly normal to me. Is your PT an auto, they tend to idle a little higher. [:I]
P.S. Welcome to the board, and to cruising. [?]
Old 17 Jul 2004, 12:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Are you listening to your idle when its cold in the morning?
Old 17 Jul 2004, 01:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

When the car is cold, it will idle somewhat faster. This is normal. Can't speak for NA PT's since mine is a GT but once warm, mine never idles above 800 rpm, with or without the air conditioner.

Even when idling cold, the engine does not sound "loud" nor does it seem like it is idling excessive fast. If you are coming from a big block V-8, it certainly does have a different sound. I certainly doesn't have the slow lope of a big block with a cam.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 03:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

I had a 01 LE that was loud but my new 04 GT is very quiet. I even had the 01 into the dealer and of course they said it was normal.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 10:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My PT will idle at 1,000 on a cold mornming until Temp is up, then never above 800 (more like 750). In summer, a little higher than 800 is A/C is on.
Since it's used, I wondered if it had an intake, but then it wouldn't just be noisy at idle.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles