PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Head gasket going on friends PT. Is a gasket seal additive a decent last ditch fix?

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2018, 07:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Head gasket going on friends PT. Is a gasket seal additive a decent last ditch fix?

The head gasket seems to be going on my friends PT. It's a high mileage, only in-town driver. It's over heating and loosing antifreeze at the head gasket break down. The oil still looks clean. It's not leaking. No frothing or water in it.
Because it's high mileage (over 275000 miles on it) he's not going to even think about a new head gasket but he'd like to keep the car running for s few more 1000 miles. Everything else is OK.
He's found this magic stuff called TITIAN HEAD GASKET/DURA SEAL It sells for $99.95 for enough to do a four cylinder car. He's sold on this stuff and ordered it to be delivered tomorrow. Their add said it even works on Diesel engines. Comparatively, that's a lot higher compression than a PT. "If the first bottle doesn't work, they'll send as second for free". Some kinda "money back guarantee"?
With his AAA road towing he can get the car to a mechanic to put this stuff in. I told him I don't have any faith in stuff like that but I promised I'd ask my friends on the Forum if this stuff will seal the head gasket for few 1000 miles of gentle in-town driving?
Maybe temporary Happy PTin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 07:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Head gasket going on friends PT. Is a gasket seal additive a decent last ditch fi

Maybe this

rockandroller likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 30 Sep 2018, 09:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Head gasket going on friends PT. Is a gasket seal additive a decent last ditch fi

Had a buddy in highschool whos cheap car got a bad head gasket pretty soon after he bought it. Bought bars head gasket stop leak thing, worked for atleast a year before he got T boned.

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 30 Sep 2018, 09:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
Had a buddy in highschool whos cheap car got a bad head gasket pretty soon after he bought it. Bought bars head gasket stop leak thing, worked for at least a year before he got T boned.
Wow, a liver tonic, how to preserve the liver.
And a anecdotal recollection on how to seal a head gasket. If the old stand by Bars Leak worked, Maybe this stuff'll really work till he's "T" Boned. He's a pretty good driver though.The instructions are to completely drain the engine, flush, re-fill and put this stuff in. Run to hot for 20 minutes then cool for 20 minutes, repeating, building up a seal till the leak stops. We'll see. Thanks
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 30 Sep 2018, 10:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
And a anecdotal recollection on how to seal a head gasket. If the old stand by Bars Leak worked, Maybe this stuff'll really work till he's "T" Boned. He's a pretty good driver though.The instructions are to completely drain the engine, flush, re-fill and put this stuff in. Run to hot for 20 minutes then cool for 20 minutes, repeating, building up a seal till the leak stops. We'll see. Thanks
I hope he doesn't get T boned and his PT Cruiser runs for awhile! Let us know how it goes were all wondering

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 01 Oct 2018, 06:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
I just don't believe in "miracles in a bottle" and if you have to start adding such products to a vehicle, that's really a last resort, last ditch effort.

The key to a PT is never to let it overheat, and if everything is working as it should, then a PT should never overheat.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 01 Oct 2018, 07:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

I don't care how much he's tempted by the snake oil. NEVER, EVER put that crap in an engine. He could just offer to donate it to a poor old broke ass guy that can't afford another one, but would love to have another one and has the time to do the repairs. That would be me! So if he wants to donate it to someone that will fix it and drive it some more miles, here I am.
rckstein likes this.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 01 Oct 2018, 07:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I just don't believe in "miracles in a bottle" and if you have to start adding such products to a vehicle, that's really a last resort, last ditch effort.

The key to a PT is never to let it overheat, and if everything is working as it should, then a PT should never overheat.
You've spotted the obvious. This is a last resort, last ditch effort. It hasn't over heated. Just pegged a bit higher than the middle of the temperature gauge. As previously mentioned, everything isn't working good. The head gasket's got a leak around one of the coolant passages. Good compression, no oil leaks.This is why he's trying to seal it with this magical elixir, Titian Head Gasket/Dura Seal.
It's his only means of transportation. He only hopes to keep in on the road for a few thousand miles. It's all he can afford to put into the car! He'll be contacting the mechanic later today. We'll see what transpires from that. I told him my opinion was, "I don't believe in these magic sealing elixirs. I'd never put them in SOOO BIG. The more expensive they are, the more adjectives and adverbs in the promising claims on the label". We'll see. Right now, it's not a Happy PT.
Old 01 Oct 2018, 08:08 am
Senior Cruiser

$99 seems like a lot of money for a last ditch effort. It sounds like the ceramic stop leak some people around here believe in. That stuff is only like $20 a bottle and I still wouldn't go for it.
ptprice likes this.
Old 01 Oct 2018, 08:21 am
Cool Cruiser

jeez louise that is pricey... id research what people reviewed about the product but I just don't think it works. now if I was in the middle of Alaska and had no choice- I would look into removing the thermos, disconnect the heater core(plug both lines) and plumb some hoses to isolate the block from the radiator, keeping all of that crud out of those systems entirely. then maybe... sounds like a lot of work, right? welp, so is changing the head... all of that and still you will end up with crap on the water pump...it is my opinion there is a good chance it wi;; just clog the tiny water passage holes in the gasket.

give it a shot but at the very least pull the thermos and plug both heater core lines...
ptprice likes this.