PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo Lite Question

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2018, 12:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Turbo Lite Question

With the potential purchase of a 06 Touring with the 2.4 Turbo (Detuned) with 65k miles, What would I have to do to make it into a GT? In other words, Bring the Turbo to life with it's full potential of a GT. I have heard from some people that you just buy a GT Computer, Install it and your good to go. Is this true? Yes, I know it uses Full Synthetic Oil and upon upgrading the computer, I would have to run Premium Gas from then on. Is there anything else I have to do? Are there any potential dangers of doing this? I don't want to do this and then find out a while after that doing this will cause the head to blow or something.

Any help/Concerns/suggestions are welcome.
Old 09 Oct 2018, 02:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo Lite Question

Been there. Done that. ALL you need is a different PCM. And forum member, Myckee can program one for you. It's a little tougher on the 2006 PCM because it's a one-year only deal. But I believe Myckee can do it.

Afterwards, you will just need to run high octane fuel. If you had a way to data log the knock sensor, you might be able to conduct a science experiment and determine exactly what octane your specific car would need. But running 93 octane does the job.

On the engine and drive-train itself, there is absolutely no difference mechanically between your engine and a GT. The tune in the PCM is the only difference. The Autoshifter is just a gimmick where the shifter tells the PCM to down shift. The automatic transmission is exactly the same.

For me, I'm running 15 pounds of boost on a custom PCM.
podo2000 and myckee like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 Oct 2018 at 02:04 pm.
Old 09 Oct 2018, 02:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Been there. Done that. ALL you need is a different PCM. And forum member, Myckee can program one for you. It's a little tougher on the 2006 PCM because it's a one-year only deal. But I believe Myckee can do it.

Afterwards, you will just need to run high octane fuel. If you had a way to data log the knock sensor, you might be able to conduct a science experiment and determine exactly what octane your specific car would need. But running 93 octane does the job.

On the engine and drive-train itself, there is absolutely no difference mechanically between your engine and a GT. The tune in the PCM is the only difference. The Autoshifter is just a gimmick where the shifter tells the PCM to down shift. The automatic transmission is exactly the same.

For me, I'm running 15 pounds of boost on a custom PCM.

What do you mean by one year only deal?

Also if Myckee isnt in NY how would he or she program it without the car present?
Old 09 Oct 2018, 03:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence View Post
What do you mean by one year only deal?

Also if Myckee isnt in NY how would he or she program it without the car present?
Hi, Handy is exactly correct, as usual, and you can easily, and without any worry at all, upgrade the programming to GT. Your car will still pass emission testing, but you should of course use 91, or higher, premium gas.

The 06 was the first year of the CANbus upgrade to the electronics in the PT. The trans remained the same as the 1st gen without any changes. In 07 and up, the transmission was changed to the VLP version which used the TCM more to control the line pressures in the trans. So that makes the 06 a one year deal.

So, you have two choices, maybe three, to get the GT programming in your car.
  • The first is that you ship me your car's PCM and I install the GT programming and send it back to you. I am in Ottawa, Ontario so the back and forth shipping likely would not exceed 2 weeks.
  • The second way would be to buy a spare 06 pcm, and installing the GT programming in that. Not only would your car remain drivable while waiting for the GT programming, this way you would always have your original for back up and troubleshooting purposes. The only real con to this is that the 06 turbo PCM is quite expensive. I am the cheapest seller on ebay of them, but it still doesn't change the fact that they are expensive. Still, given their rarity, having a backup is still a good idea in my opinion.
  • The third potential way would be for you to take a roadtrip to my beautiful city, and the Nation's Capital, and I flash the one in your car on the spot.
Old 09 Oct 2018, 03:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Great. There goes my 2nd idea to put HIDs in the PT cuz I thought the CANbus system wasnt installed until 08. Heard the CANbus system fries the multifunction switch. Not an option for me.

Anyways, i was looking online and found GT PCM's for $500. Didnt look at years but 500 isnt too bad for what you get. Guessing the 06 is higher than that? Even so, A trip to our nationals capitol may not be out the picture either. But not until spring of next year as the car will be garage kept as it has no rust.
Old 09 Oct 2018, 03:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

EDITED: Just saw Mike's post after I posted mine.
Old 09 Oct 2018, 04:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
...So, you have two choices, maybe three, to get the GT programming in your car.
  • The first is that you ship me your car's PCM and I install the GT programming and send it back to you. I am in Ottawa, Ontario so the back and forth shipping likely would not exceed 2 weeks.
I'm on the west coast, so might take you up on this next year when it's time for my car to get painted. One question: how can I tell whether or not my PCM has already been hot-rodded??

I know it's not the original PCM ( I have service documentation attesting to the fact its been replaced long ago) - and this car really GOES, it seems way more peppy than it ought to be...
Old 09 Oct 2018, 06:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence View Post
Great. There goes my 2nd idea to put HIDs in the PT cuz I thought the CANbus system wasnt installed until 08. Heard the CANbus system fries the multifunction switch. Not an option for me.

Anyways, i was looking online and found GT PCM's for $500. Didnt look at years but 500 isnt too bad for what you get. Guessing the 06 is higher than that? Even so, A trip to our nationals capitol may not be out the picture either. But not until spring of next year as the car will be garage kept as it has no rust.
I think myckee means his nations capital which is Ottawa, Ontario, not our US capital in Washington, D.C.

Either way, myckee is a good guy to deal with and he will take care of you if he can
myckee likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 09 Oct 2018, 06:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I think myckee means his nations capital which is Ottawa, Canada, not our US capital in Washington, D.C.

Either way, myckee is a good guy to deal with and he will take care of you if he can
Oh yeah. Maybe. I was half asleep when i read it and replied. I may be able to do that. Idk. Probably buy a new, ship it and go from there.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 08:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
I'm on the west coast, so might take you up on this next year when it's time for my car to get painted. One question: how can I tell whether or not my PCM has already been hot-rodded??

I know it's not the original PCM ( I have service documentation attesting to the fact its been replaced long ago) - and this car really GOES, it seems way more peppy than it ought to be...
Best way is probably a boost gauge. If you know the stats for stock boost and how long it should hold, it should be pretty easy to tell.