Will the PT Cruiser run on E15?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By JoeX
  • 1 Post By dougs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2018, 10:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Will the PT Cruiser run on E15?

Will the PT Cruiser run on E15? Is it the wave of the future?
Not realizing it, I once filled up with fuel over 10% ethanol and SOOO BIG ran like crap. I stay away from that place.
What are your thoughts?
Happy PTin'? ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 01:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Will the PT Cruiser run on E15?

I work with a distributor of small, "very-automotive-like" aircraft engines, and they absolutely do not permit running "more than E10" in their engines. E10 is OK... E11+ is verbotten!!
Old 10 Oct 2018, 01:43 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Will the PT Cruiser run on E15?

--------NO--------
Old 10 Oct 2018, 05:58 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Do you think E15 will become the standard of fuel in America? I don't want to loose the privilege of driving SOOO BIG because of fuel he can't run on. Will 10% or less becomes too expensive to afford? Just like the 10% or less fuel replaced regular, leaded, non additive fuel.. Remember the clunkers for cash drive? SOOO BIG's my last hurrah. I have no plans of replacing him. Will reasonably priced fuel still be available to drive SOOO BIG off into my sun set? Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 01:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Probably run but you might not like it. No advantage as MPG and performance suffers. The ethenal is hard on metal parts. It absorbs moisture and if left unused for long periods will grow algae. Todays diesel will do the same thing.
Fuel conditioner must have a bio-side to keek the algae from growing.
There is no savings.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 14 Nov 2018, 06:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Will the PT Cruiser run on E15? Is it the wave of the future?
Not realizing it, I once filled up with fuel over 10% ethanol and SOOO BIG ran like crap. I stay away from that place.
What are your thoughts?
Happy PTin'? ptprice
My neighbor drove me around the block in his new Tesla 3. I can confirm; Tesla is the wave of the future. Everything else is just an update to the early internal combustion engines of the mid-19th century....
rockandroller likes this.
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 12:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

it would only change stoich from 14.08 to 13.8 -i would imagine the car would adapt it's fuel trims fairly quickly and you wouldn't know the difference. it's not like you're out flooring it and beating on the car
Old 16 Nov 2018, 12:51 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
it would only change stoich from 14.08 to 13.8 -i would imagine the car would adapt it's fuel trims fairly quickly and you wouldn't know the difference. it's not like you're out flooring it and beating on the car
Given I never flog SOOO BIG, seldom floor it, never beat or abuse him, how is SOOO BIG supposed to adapt to the calculations of stoichimetry from 14.08 to 13.8? Granted that's not that much of a differential, stoich wize, and that's mostly Florida driving.
What was your meaning of "adapting it's fuel trims fairly quickly. I wouldn't know the difference."?
But a few times each year I come out of the flat lands of Florida and gravity becomes a factor. There are bumps in the earth's contours headin' north to visit kin. Down in Florida they're called elevations. The highest earthen elevations in Florida are trash dumps. Mount Trashmores. There are no roads going over these elevations. Just seagulls and earth movers.
Headin' north through Georgia, the Carolina's, the Virginia's, Maryland and Pennsylvania they're called mountains.
SOOO BIG's extra umph, I seldom call on in Florida, is there to be called on in the Appalachians. An occasional "flooring" climbing up a mountain. With my eyes pealed and traffic allowing, an occasional high speed down hill run to tickle the top end of the speedometer. It wouldn't be there with E15.
What might go bad on the road, corrosively, with the established stoich proportions indicating how E15 reacts in SOOO BIG? Predicatively, how much would SOOO BIG experience premature element and compound corrosion? Newer cars have this fudge factor built in.
As mentioned, my only experience with E15 was an accidental tank full. SOOO BIG displayed a lack of power, poor performance, stuttering and stalling till till I ran the tank out. During that tank full of E15, SOOO BIG was experiencing the actual effect on an engine designed for the lower ethanol count. Fortunately,for just one tank full.
Wouldn't constant use of E15 effect gaskets, seals, hoses, metals, sundries and such with the long term exposure on a PT?
SOOO BIG wants to stay a Happy PT, ptprice

Last edited by ptprice; 16 Nov 2018 at 11:45 am.