Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bumper reinforcement (radiator damage)

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Oct 2018, 02:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bumper reinforcement (radiator damage)

The short: Has anyone reinforced the front bumper area to prevent radiator damage? If so, do you have any tips/suggestions?

The long:
I'm about to replace my daughter's radiator for the 2nd time in as many years. The real issue is that we live in the country and she bumps the underside of the front bumper cover all the time because of the uneven roads and the hills. The first time was ahairline crack on the upper drive side from repeated jostling over time. This time she hit it good pulling off a steep driveway onto the road (not good enough that is should cause that kind of damage on anything but the lowest slung car) and broke the drain from hitting the metal support underneath. Dumped her fluid right out.

I'd like to find a way to keep this from happening again (aside from buying a vehicle with more clearance). Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 03:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bumper reinforcement (radiator damage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinziesDad View Post
The short: Has anyone reinforced the front bumper area to prevent radiator damage? If so, do you have any tips/suggestions?

The long:
I'm about to replace my daughter's radiator for the 2nd time in as many years. The real issue is that we live in the country and she bumps the underside of the front bumper cover all the time because of the uneven roads and the hills. The first time was ahairline crack on the upper drive side from repeated jostling over time. This time she hit it good pulling off a steep driveway onto the road (not good enough that is should cause that kind of damage on anything but the lowest slung car) and broke the drain from hitting the metal support underneath. Dumped her fluid right out.

I'd like to find a way to keep this from happening again (aside from buying a vehicle with more clearance). Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks.
The problem I see is that if you put anything below the metal support under the radiator it will make it worse if the Pt Cruiser runs over any objects in the road. Sometimes at night when I can't see the road I run over objects on the road and I have to check everything underneath to make sure nothing got damaged.

What about an air lift kit to raise the Pt Cruiser up?

This company offers air lift kits for Pt Cruisers.
https://www.airliftcompany.com/produ...air-lift-1000/

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Oct 2018 at 03:42 pm.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 03:52 pm
Banned

Maybe this is what your daughter needs

Girls love yellow
Old 12 Oct 2018, 04:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:

The long:

Thanks.

That sound like you don't have the rubber grommets installed.
Sinbad likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 12 Oct 2018, 09:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How's about skid wheels on the front end?
Sinbad likes this.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 13 Oct 2018, 03:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post

This could well be on the money - the drain is normally hidden behind the frame and a bit of a barsteward to get to. As standard it shouldn't be dangling around where it can get knocked.

Probably the easiest way to get a higher front is bigger wheels / higher profile tyres.
I have a set of 16" with 205/60's on which are about as big as you can get under the front struts without fouling, and the car sits maybe 8-10mm (?) higher on them.
Handling is a bit wooly and soft compared to standard 205/55- but I suspect that's saying more about the age of my struts and shocks than the tyres.
Old 13 Oct 2018, 07:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
The driver's side grommet is split. looks like it was almost sheared off. Anybody know if the grommet is called something else? I'm trying to find a replacement. The radiator I bought doesn't have them.

The part of the frame that is under the radiator is bent from a previous accident. I think it might be exacerbating the issue. (There's a lot of shoddy repair from a front end collision that did NOT appear on the carfax report when we bought it.)

2010 2.4L
Old 13 Oct 2018, 07:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
The driver's side grommet is split. looks like it was almost sheared off. Anybody know if the grommet is called something else? I'm trying to find a replacement. The radiator I bought doesn't have them.

The part of the frame that is under the radiator is bent from a previous accident. I think it might be exacerbating the issue. (There's a lot of shoddy repair from a front end collision that did NOT appear on the carfax report when we bought it.)

2010 2.4L
"Radiator mounting rubber" will probably cover it if you ask at a Chrysler dealer. As you have one to use as a pattern you could probably bodge your own using donor exhaust mounts if you trimmed them to match the other with a craft knife? As long as they fit in the holes in the frame and the radiator fits in them, the top radiator mounts should make sure it all stays in place.
Old 13 Oct 2018, 08:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

These are what your looking for...

What did you do to your Cruiser today?

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 13 Oct 2018, 08:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That looks promising. Just need to find the 2010 equivalent.

Tags
bumper, bumper cover, front end, radiator replacement