PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PCM replace. Must be the same part number?

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 4 Post By myckee
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 2 Post By myckee
  • 1 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2018, 10:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PCM replace. Must be the same part number?

Hi

I have 2001 pt cruiser. The computer (pcm) is damaged and need to be replaced.

My question is if the p/n must match exactly?

MY pcm p/n is P05033119AD and I found one remanufactured for 2001 but the last 2 numbers and the last letters of p/n are different,ex
P05033120AE. Will it works?
Old 22 Oct 2018, 10:42 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: PCM replace. Must be the same part number?

probably, but the PCM needs to be programmed to your VIN before it will start the car

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 22 Oct 2018, 11:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjvr View Post
Hi

I have 2001 pt cruiser. The computer (pcm) is damaged and need to be replaced.

My question is if the p/n must match exactly?

MY pcm p/n is P05033119AD and I found one remanufactured for 2001 but the last 2 numbers and the last letters of p/n are different,ex
P05033120AE. Will it works?

First, the PCM's for the 2001/2002 PT's are different than later models. Many of these 2001/2002 PCM's are interchangeable. However to make sure, I'd contact forum member, Myckee. He programs and sells PCM's and I'm sure he can tell you which ones will work in your PT. I'll bet he can make you a good deal on one too. Plus, he will flash in your VIN so it will be plug and play.

Just send him a PM.
rckstein and myckee like this.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 11:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Your original 5033119 is has a Low Emissions tune on it. The 5033120 has an Ultra Low Emissions tune on it..probably from a California car. The letters at the end of the part number are not important. The only tell you the revision level of the programming. Anytime there is a change, it will change from AA to AB and on. Regardless what the letters are the are forward and backward interchangeable.

Last edited by myckee; 22 Oct 2018 at 11:38 am.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 12:38 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Your original 5033119 is has a Low Emissions tune on it. The 5033120 has an Ultra Low Emissions tune on it..probably from a California car. The letters at the end of the part number are not important. The only tell you the revision level of the programming. Anytime there is a change, it will change from AA to AB and on. Regardless what the letters are the are forward and backward interchangeable.
If the OP got a PCM from you, and the car is no longer in California or subject to their emissions regulations, you could supply them with a PCM with a non-low emissions tune?

Or since the PCM is programmed with the VIN, any replacement PCM will have to maintain the low emission tune, regardless of where the vehicle may be?
ajhockey3 likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 22 Oct 2018 at 01:18 pm.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 01:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
But the numbers have to be the same, right?
Old 22 Oct 2018, 06:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
If the OP got a PCM from you, and the car is no longer in California or subject to their emissions regulations, you could supply them with a PCM with a non-low emissions tune?

Or since the PCM is programmed with the VIN, any replacement PCM will have to maintain the low emission tune, regardless of where the vehicle may be?
No, you can stick whatever you want in the car and it will run as long as the VIN is programmed assuming it was installed in a SKIM enabled car.

I don't know if they are mandated to sell a certain number of California emissions specific cars or what, but most of the tunes indicate that they are 50 state legal. But then they also have California emissions tunes as well depending on the year. And I have seen from many customer's VINs that some of the cars sold in California got the 50 state tune while others got the California tune. I don't know why that is.

But, regardless of the tune, they will work in any car they are installed in. I do not know if the California tunes sacrifice any performance for the sake of emissions, but probably they do to some extent.

Usually I install the Cali tune if that's what the customer had originally, but I can install whatever the customer wants. I can even put the Mexico tune on it which I think has the lowest emission standard. Interestingly, my 03 Mopar Stage 1 is considered a Mexico tune when I read it out on the DRB3.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 06:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjvr View Post
But the numbers have to be the same, right?
The 5033120 will work fine in your car but I usually try to supply the customer with whatever his car came with from the factory to keep the car following the original specs. But you can really put anything in its place and it will work as long as it is the same year of course and a similarly optioned car.
rckstein likes this.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 06:50 pm
Banned

Quote:
No, you can stick whatever you want in the car and it will run as long as the VIN is programmed assuming it was installed in a SKIM enabled car.

I don't know if they are mandated to sell a certain number of California emissions specific cars or what, but most of the tunes indicate that they are 50 state legal. But then they also have California emissions tunes as well depending on the year. And I have seen from many customer's VINs that some of the cars sold in California got the 50 state tune while others got the California tune. I don't know why that is.

But, regardless of the tune, they will work in any car they are installed in. I do not know if the California tunes sacrifice any performance for the sake of emissions, but probably they do to some extent.

Usually I install the Cali tune if that's what the customer had originally, but I can install whatever the customer wants. I can even put the Mexico tune on it which I think has the lowest emission standard. Interestingly, my 03 Mopar Stage 1 is considered a Mexico tune when I read it out on the DRB3.
Be careful how you phrase that, someone may take offense to it in this politically correct and charged society.

But will that make your PT have an insatiable appetite for south-of-the-border cuisine

I love Tex-Mex food

Tags
computer, pcm