• 2 Post By rckstein
  • 2 Post By pt06
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By pt06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2018, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hi guys.., question on timing belt.

I have 96k on the odometer 2005 pt cruiser na. The book says recommended timing belt change at 100k miles. I'm looking to drive this car for another 50k miles. Do you think I could get away with a MOCA timing belt instead? They are cheap and comes with pulleys too. What else do I need to replace while my mechanic tackles the timing belt?

Thanks guys..
Old 26 Oct 2018, 06:18 pm
Banned

Default Re: Hi guys.., question on timing belt.

You joined the forum in 2015 and this is your 1st post!

Congratulations and welcome to the forum

With the glitches with the forum since there is no moderator, no new members can join so you're about the closest thing that we have to a "New Member"

You should go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and create an intro thread and post some pics of your PT

With the timing belt job, you should get the best parts that you can afford since it's a tough and expensive job if you are paying a shop for it, and even professional shops have made mistakes during the job.

While the area is opened up, you should replace: timing belt, water pump, idler pulley, tensioner, 2 cam seals, crank seal, center motor mount with a new bolt.
pt06 and Handy_Cruiser like this.
Old 27 Oct 2018, 03:40 am
Senior Cruiser

A couple of opinions. If the camshaft seals are dry and show no signs of weeping, I'd leave them alone. I would change the crankshaft seal regardless, as it is more likely to see grit and grime down there. First check the crankshaft end play as some had excessive wear. And inspect the center motor mount while in the area. Scribe a line on the frame rail around the mount for replacing, if necessary. The center mounts are pretty dependable on non turbo automatics.
I'd replace the 2 motor mount struts as they are prone to rubber failure. The strut labor is free. There is a specific dimension for the engine to be tilted backwards before [both] of the strut bolts are tightened.

A set of brushes in the alternator?

Check suspension lower control arm rear [vertical] bushing].

Use HOAT antifreeze, and bleed system.
Old 27 Oct 2018, 10:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

All good advice. I'd like to add that you may need a valve cover gasket if it's never been changed. The originals tend to leak after so long. Check the spark plug wells for oil and check for oil leaking down on the driver side and rear of the engine block. The camshaft seals are optional but I'd change them because it's a lot of work to do it later if needed. But it is simple while the timing belt is off.

Also, you will not specifically need HOAT. Most modern antifreeze is HOAT compatible and chances are that the original HOAT has been changed at some point. If not, you will want to flush it all out because it tends to cause a rust-colored sludge if left in for too long. And once the system is flushed, any quality antifreeze will work. All long-life Prestone antifreeze is approved for the PT Cruiser both the yellow/green and orange varieties.

The alternators on PT Cruises seem to hold up pretty well. On this forum, we see more bearing failure than anything else and that's likely from an over-tight drive belt. New brushes will not hurt but it's likely not necessary.

The electrical plug from the camshaft sensor and ignition coil are the same and easily confused. So make sure the mechanic marks them.

Also make sure the mechanic knows how to properly set the tension on the timing belt tensioner. There is a procedure in the manual that should be followed. And the upper motor mount (torque strut) will need to properly adjusted too or the engine may vibrate.

Lastly, the two main things that kill PT Cruisers are a broken timing belt that's too expensive for the owner to replace, or a failed radiator cooling fan that causes the engine to overheat and quickly blow the head gasket. Since you are changing the timing belt, consider going ahead and changing the radiator cooling fan. Use a quality name brand replacement.

It should be noted that while I am an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech and an excellent lover, I primarily work as a Safety Engineer among other things and I haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, I mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, I enjoy working on these funny looking little cars for fun and relaxation. And I help others when I can.
rckstein and dougs like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Oct 2018 at 04:37 pm.
Old 27 Oct 2018, 01:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If replacing just the lower torque strut (motor mount), is adjustment of the upper mount necessary? Just curious.
Old 27 Oct 2018, 04:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJoey View Post
If replacing just the lower torque strut (motor mount), is adjustment of the upper mount necessary? Just curious.
Since they work in tandem, if one is worn the other is probably not too far behind since it will be taking more load to compensate for the worn one.

You would be wise to replace both, and do the adjustment procedure.
pt06 and Handy_Cruiser like this.
Old 28 Oct 2018, 03:33 am
Senior Cruiser

I used a 2 x 4 and a jack to adjust the engine 'tilt'. Place the 2 x 4 vertically under the front of the trans. housing and jack up or down to adjust. It takes a small amount of force. You are not trying to lift the engine, only to tilt it.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 28 Oct 2018, 09:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep. It's pretty easy. I just loosen the top and bottom mounts, stick in a 18" pry bar, push the engine into position with the right hand and tighten the bolt with the left hand.