• 1 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 3 Post By sanatanadharma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2018, 01:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Where does this go?

I took me forever (I am not a mechanic), but I have replaced the head gasket, head bolts, engine mounts, belts, exhaust manifold, water pump, timing belt, and most gaskets. I was meticulous in saving where bolts/nuts went, etc. Everything has fallen back into place except this one item:

Where does this go?
Old 05 Nov 2018, 02:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Where does this go?

It's a noise suppressor. Here's a diagram showing where it goes.

rckstein likes this.
Old 05 Nov 2018, 05:23 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DPiper View Post
I took me forever (I am not a mechanic), but I have replaced the head gasket, head bolts, engine mounts, belts, exhaust manifold, water pump, timing belt, and most gaskets. I was meticulous in saving where bolts/nuts went, etc. Everything has fallen back into place except this one item:

Where does this go?
If you're not a mechanic and you did all that work and you only have that one item unaccounted for, I would say you did real good

This is what the suppressor looks like in place:

My PT, which is an NA model, does not have the big bracket between the head and throttle body that is shown in the pic provided by Todd.

The pic he provided may be for a Turbo.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 05 Nov 2018, 06:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post

My PT, which is an NA model, does not have the big bracket between the head and throttle body that is shown in the pic provided by Todd.

The pic he provided may be for a Turbo.

They dropped the bracket in 2003-2004 I think.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 05 Nov 2018, 06:34 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
They dropped the bracket in 2003-2004 I think.
It's still listed in all the parts catalogs up to '08:

I called my local dealership to find out if the part should be on my PT, since they search by VIN. The parts guy said it is the appropriate part for my PT, but that still doesn't mean that it was there from the factory.

It is no longer available through Chrysler but he gave me this source that does offer it:

https://www.vpartsinc.com/

I don't see any evidence that it had ever been on my vehicle and possibly removed when one of the shops that have worked on my PT over the years may have removed it while removing the upper plenum. The bolt for the noise suppressor which is one of the mounting bolts for the bracket does not look like it's ever had a wrench on it.

There is a large bracket on the back of the block that goes up to the back of the upper plenum which provides support for that. My PT has been running for 12 years now without it, I don't think I'll worry about it now. The next time I'm at the salvage yards I may keep my eye out for one on another PT.
Old 05 Nov 2018, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
...I called my local dealership to find out if the part should be on my PT, since they search by VIN. The parts guy said it is the appropriate part for my PT, but that still doesn't mean that it was there from the factory.

It is no longer available through Chrysler but he gave me this source that does offer it:

https://www.vpartsinc.com/

https://i.imgur.com/0GWdJUM.jpg

I don't see any evidence that it had ever been on my vehicle and possibly removed when one of the shops that have worked on my PT over the years may have removed it while removing the upper plenum. The bolt for the noise suppressor which is one of the mounting bolts for the bracket does not look like it's ever had a wrench on it.

There is a large bracket on the back of the block that goes up to the back of the upper plenum which provides support for that. My PT has been running for 12 years now without it, I don't think I'll worry about it now. The next time I'm at the salvage yards I may keep my eye out for one on another PT.
Glad I could help on more than one car today. My 2001 had this bracket too. It was broke and I had to replace it. Even thought the diagram I post is for 2006 and up, I don't remember seeing this bracket on newer PT's.

DISCLAIMER - I've come from dental surgery and I'm high on pain meds. So don't hold me responsible for anything I say or do right now.

rckstein likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Nov 2018 at 07:18 pm.
Old 05 Nov 2018, 07:40 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Glad I could help on more than one car today. My 2001 had this bracket too. It was broke and I had to replace it. Even thought the diagram I post is for 2006 and up, I don't remember seeing this bracket on newer PT's.

DISCLAIMER - I've come from dental surgery and I'm high on pain meds. So don't hold me responsible for anything I say or do right now.

The bracket that you show appears first appears in the '02 Parts Catalog, then in '03-'08 the part number changes to ending in AD from the earlier AC that you posted.

This is the bracket that is on my PT. It goes from the block to the back of the upper plenum:

The upper mounting point on the back of the plenum seems to match the upper left mounting point on the larger bracket in your pic.

On your old bracket, both mounting points on the right side are broken. Maybe that's why they changed to the smaller mounting bracket with only 2 mounting points vs. 4. Maybe they had a lot of them breaking.
Old 06 Nov 2018, 05:15 am
Veteran Cruiser

[QUOTE=3DPiper;696545... Everything has fallen back into place except this one item:...

Where does this go?[/QUOTE]

As you have been answered, it is a noise suppressor for the radio.

It is essentially a ground and can be fastened to any convenient place on the motor, needing only a good ground.
sanatanadharma when you are no longer posting in stealth mode and make the availability for PMs then welcome , join and participate on this forum as a supporting member. Until then your responses in most threads will be temporarily removed.