Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Optima Battery - Is it worth it?

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Nov 2018, 04:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Optima Battery - Is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I had issues with 2 Interstate batteries in my PT, so I won't be buying them again

Both of them leaked around the positive post and would cause all kinds of corrosion onto the cables, had to clean it about every month.
The original battery lasted 7 years. I changed it for peace of mind. Replaced it with another 26R size [interstate]. It lasted for 3 years. Changed it again with a 58R size [interstate - 1" - 2" longer]. It bolted in but the insulation cover had to be cut vertically on the corner, taped in place, and put the gap side toward the fender. It lasted 2 1/2 years. The interstate guy treated me fairly.

I've had good luck with interstate batteries in the past in other cars. They have different levels. And maybe different manufacturers for different levels?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 07 Nov 2018, 06:39 am
Senior Cruiser

My Optima battery's never shown the slightest corrosion on the posts. Being completely sealed is an other advantage relative to maintenance. It's ability to withstand other ravages I've experienced with previous cheaper batteries is an anther positive. Admittedly though, I really like the neat Red top!
I changed to the later PT air cleaner because lack of access to the positive and negative posts on my battery with the earlier style. It works for me. There must be a reason Chrysler made this change in the later model PTs. Happy PTin', ptprice

optima11.jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 09 Nov 2018 at 07:45 am.
Old 07 Nov 2018, 10:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

I think you'd be better off buying a $6 maintainer for when your car is unused for any length of time. Sitting half charged is what kills batteries. Any battery. If you use your car often, the three year old battery is probably fine.
Old 07 Nov 2018, 07:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Earlier this year I put an Optima battery in SOOO BIG and converted to a later model air cleaner for better battery access . Very pleased with this battery and features. A little more costly at first purchase but they last a lot longer and are truly sealed. If your keeping your PT for any period of time I'd recommend getting one when you replace batteries.
Happy PTin', ptprice

If you want to make your battery totally visible, get the air box cover that's on the Turbo and the battery will be totally open

I don't know why Chrysler had to have 2 different covers for the air box

I understand why the Turbo one is like it is because the battery on the Turbo has the hold down bracket that goes over the top of the battery.

But the extra part over the battery on the NA adds nothing, and they could have used the Turbo air box cover on both models.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 07 Nov 2018, 07:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
The original battery lasted 7 years. I changed it for peace of mind. Replaced it with another 26R size [interstate]. It lasted for 3 years. Changed it again with a 58R size [interstate - 1" - 2" longer]. It bolted in but the insulation cover had to be cut vertically on the corner, taped in place, and put the gap side toward the fender. It lasted 2 1/2 years. The interstate guy treated me fairly.

I've had good luck with interstate batteries in the past in other cars. They have different levels. And maybe different manufacturers for different levels?
They only offer 1 version for the PT, their MT-26R.

The one I have currently in my PT is from Advance Auto:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ouq1LE8Q%3D%3D

When I thought I had some electrical issues, I've been by the Advance Auto store a couple of times for them to test the battery while in my PT. Both times it tested good and was actually providing more CCA than what it is rated for. So far I've had no issues with it.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 08 Nov 2018, 09:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
But the extra part over the battery on the NA adds nothing, and they could have used the Turbo air box cover on both models.
Most cars have seemingly useless air chambers nowadays. They act as mufflers to quiet intake howl.
rckstein likes this.
Old 08 Nov 2018, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by circus View Post
Most cars have seemingly useless air chambers nowadays. They act as mufflers to quiet intake howl.
+1

The turbocharger air piping helps quiet noise coming back through the air cleaner. It's louder when the air cleaner is connected directly to the throttle body like on the N/A PT's. The extra part on the N/A air cleaner is to help control that noise. The turbo cars don't need it.
Old 08 Nov 2018, 07:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by circus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
+1

The turbocharger air piping helps quiet noise coming back through the air cleaner. It's louder when the air cleaner is connected directly to the throttle body like on the N/A PT's. The extra part on the N/A air cleaner is to help control that noise. The turbo cars don't need it.
I'll accept both explanations, I never noticed that the front part of the airbox cover was open, but it is

USMC '82 - '93
Old 09 Nov 2018, 08:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
If you want to make your battery totally visible, get the air box cover that's on the Turbo and the battery will be totally open

I don't know why Chrysler had to have 2 different covers for the air box

I understand why the Turbo one is like it is because the battery on the Turbo has the hold down bracket that goes over the top of the battery.

Your right. That's the most sensible air cleaner for the PT Cruiser. I searched but haven't found any turbos in the salvage yard yet or I would have pulled one.
I did some adaption on the air cleaner mount to make the later model fit properly.
The battery hold down on SOOO BIG locks on to the the base of the battery.
Thanks. Happy PTin' ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 09 Nov 2018 at 02:22 pm.
Old 09 Nov 2018, 07:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Your right. That's the most sensible air cleaner for the PT Cruiser. I searched but haven't found any turbos in the salvage yard yet or I would have pulled one.
I did some adaption on the air cleaner mount to make the later model fit properly.
The battery hold down on SOOO BIG locks on to the the base of the battery.
Thanks. Happy PTin' ptprice
You may want re-read posts #16 & #17 about what the purpose of the "extension" is on the NA air box cover. You may get more "noise" with switching to the Turbo cover.

USMC '82 - '93