Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Optima Battery - Is it worth it?

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2018, 04:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Optima Battery - Is it worth it?

Well, it's getting to that cold time of year in NC. My cruiser is starting to crank slower and slower on the cold mornings, voltage is 14 and change when the engine is running, but it's barely 12 with the engine off. The battery is almost 3 years old, just a cheapo from AutoZone. It's rated at 525 CCA. I know some of you have gotten the big Optima R34 in the car. Is it worth the extra $100 to get a bigger, 800CCA battery? Will it last?
And before you ask, my alternator is fine. I just make many short trips every week, work is only 3 miles from home and I have a very large electrical load.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 05 Nov 2018, 05:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Optima Battery - Is it worth it?

Have you checked the battery fluid level?
Old 05 Nov 2018, 05:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When my current battery craps out, I'm going with the Optima 34R

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 05 Nov 2018, 06:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
Well, it's getting to that cold time of year in NC. My cruiser is starting to crank slower and slower on the cold mornings, voltage is 14 and change when the engine is running, but it's barely 12 with the engine off. The battery is almost 3 years old, just a cheapo from AutoZone. It's rated at 525 CCA. I know some of you have gotten the big Optima R34 in the car. Is it worth the extra $100 to get a bigger, 800CCA battery? Will it last?
And before you ask, my alternator is fine. I just make many short trips every week, work is only 3 miles from home and I have a very large electrical load.
My Optima didn't last. To be exact, it died with no warning. Needless to say, it sat in my PT unused for a long time and the slow draw from the car pulled it down. But it seemed to charge up fine and there was not problem at all for about four hours including starting the car several times. And then about 100 miles from home, it went "dead-stick" and the car died in the middle of traffic with no lights, no codes, no warning.

It was an interesting adventure. We were in southern Arkansas and folks are extra friendly. So while pushing my PT down the road with my sweetie behind the wheel, I suddenly had help from a man and his two school-age sons. We pushed the car to a nearby McDonald's where even more Volunteers stopped to help. The car would jump but die with the cables removed. I ended up going to a nearby Walmart and buying a cheap battery to get the car started and get home. I was able to return that to Walmart and Advance replaced my Optima with a new one for free under warranty. I originally got for 40% off.

Optima battery aren't made by the same folks anymore. They are now made by Johnson Control. Advance has basically the same AGM battery in a gray Johnson Control/Autocraft case for about half the price. It's not a pretty color like the Optima but likely just as good. I have one of those in both my truck and my daughter's car.

Here's a link to my recent episode. Not much detail but the day still turned out okay. There's a good photo of my sweetie. She always looks good after one of my "adventures".

What did you do to your PT today?

PS: The moral of my rambling story is that I don't think the current Optima batteries are any better than other name-brand AGM's. Johnson Control makes a lot of batteries under a bunch of different brands. Some of them are considerable cheaper than the Optima for a what I believe is the same quality of AGM battery. There are others that have the deep cycle options as well. So if you buy an Optima today for a PT Cruiser, you are basically paying extra for looks. And that's okay. I've speny a lot on cosmetics for PT Cruisers. So no one should judge.

PPS: If this post seems extra rambling and extra long even for me, I just came from the dentist where I got another bone graph in my lower jaw. So I'm in pain but also pumped up on pain meds. Weeeeee!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OptimaReplace1.jpg (78.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg OptimaReplace2.jpg (55.6 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Nov 2018 at 07:06 pm.
Old 05 Nov 2018, 07:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Optima Battery - Is it worth it?

I've always bought Interstate Batteries.
The ones now sold by Chrysler-Fiat dealers are made by Interstate.

So, since I always go to my Fav dealer for problems anyway, I will buy their Interstate, and let them back it up!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 05 Nov 2018, 08:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
I've always bought Interstate Batteries.
The ones now sold by Chrysler-Fiat dealers are made by Interstate.

So, since I always go to my Fav dealer for problems anyway, I will buy their Interstate, and let them back it up!
I had issues with 2 Interstate batteries in my PT, so I won't be buying them again

Both of them leaked around the positive post and would cause all kinds of corrosion onto the cables, had to clean it about every month.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 05 Nov 2018, 08:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've been pondering the OPTIMA too ( tho very expensive around here!!!)

now considering one of these handy cheapos.. maybe the AGM is pretty good?

$200 https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/eversta.../6000195362456

or

$100 https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/eversta.../6000195362541
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 05 Nov 2018, 08:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
I've been pondering the OPTIMA too ( tho very expensive around here!!!)

now considering one of these handy cheapos.. maybe the AGM is pretty good?

$200 https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/eversta.../6000195362456

or

$100 https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/eversta.../6000195362541
The Walmart batteries are also from Johnson Controls. They used to say Eveready but now are Everstart. Same stuff for many years. Even the Optima, as sold in Canadian Walmarts anyway, has been from Johnson Controls for many years now.

Last edited by myckee; 05 Nov 2018 at 08:33 pm.
Old 05 Nov 2018, 09:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Earlier this year I put an Optima battery in SOOO BIG and converted to a later model air cleaner for better battery access . Very pleased with this battery and features. A little more costly at first purchase but they last a lot longer and are truly sealed. If your keeping your PT for any period of time I'd recommend getting one when you replace batteries.
Happy PTin', ptprice

optima22.jpgoptima11.jpg

optima.jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 06 Nov 2018, 01:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have am OPTIMA on all of my vehicles. I use the dual post batteries. They are a series 34/78.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!