Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 touring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Nov 2018, 02:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 touring

New tires , rotors , pads & shoes , recently timing belt wp & tensioner & motor mounts & 2 days ago started feeling a slight vibration in seat & steering wheel, gets louder the faster I go & when I drive a curve to the the left , but quieter to the right . Im think'g bearings or CVC. Open for suggestions. I Uber in it 4 days a wk. aprox 275 miles ea. day
Old 14 Nov 2018, 05:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 06 touring

Sounds like wheel bearing on the right hand side front to me if it's noisier turning left and volume increasing as cornering speed does. Obviously this is only my opinion so listen to others too. (I'm untrained but handy).

Last edited by Alfie1; 14 Nov 2018 at 05:27 pm.
Old 14 Nov 2018, 05:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
New tires , rotors , pads & shoes , recently timing belt wp & tensioner & motor mounts & 2 days ago started feeling a slight vibration in seat & steering wheel, gets louder the faster I go & when I drive a curve to the the left , but quieter to the right . Im think'g bearings or CVC. Open for suggestions. I Uber in it 4 days a wk. aprox 275 miles ea. day
the fact that the noise gets louder the faster you go... I believe it is the wheel bearing. But an increase in vibration may be a worn out suspension part. My initial guess would be a bad bearing.

If you have a bad CV joint, you might hear clicks or pops when the wheel is turned all the way to the right/left and you go in a circle at 5mph.
Old 14 Nov 2018, 06:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank that confirms what I was thinking & I'm sure I need struts
Old 14 Nov 2018, 07:03 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
Thank that confirms what I was thinking & I'm sure I need struts
If you need new, get what is known as a Quick Strut (complete assembly) and you can replace them in about 15 mins. per side

Old 14 Nov 2018, 08:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You need to remove the knuckles and have the bearing pressed out of the hub and have a new bearing pressed in. There's probably no need to replace the hub, just the bearing.

I replaced the hubs too but Rock Auto sent the wrong part on one side and the shop that pressed the bearing in threw away the old hubs. I had the job done on Friday afternoon and when I tried to install the knuckles on Saturday morning, one side did not fit and the shop was closed for the weekend. I had to go out and buy a new hub from a local auto parts store. When it was pressed it, it fit perfectly and the hum/vibration was gone.

Since it was a year after buying the hub from Rock Auto I was out of luck returning it plus I didn't want to wait for a replacement to be sent.

Lesson learned, check your parts when they arrive and make sure the wrong part isn't in the right box.

+1 on the quick struts. They are very easy to replace.
Old 14 Nov 2018, 09:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have done the wheel bearing twice, if you know what your doing it's pretty easy, I am able to remove the knuckle in less the 20 minutes from start to finish, I took it to a local machine shop and they replaced it for me, I cheaper out and bought the cheaper napa branded bearing and it broke within 15,000km and less then a year later, I went with a timkin bearing the second time around. If you don't have air tools it could easily take an hour plus.

The way I'd recommend doing it would be to Jack the car up, Remove the tire, remove the brake caliper and hang it. Remove the rotor, remove the axle nut assembly, tap the axle in a bit. Remove the tie rod end
.Remove the strut bolts, tilt the knuckle forward and push the axle out. Remove the ball joint bolt, get a good hammer and hit the bottom of the knuckle, in the hole where the tie rod sits is a good place to hit It, get too hands and pull the knuckle up, if you live somewhere rusty get a buddy to hit the knuckle with a hammer while u pull.

With a good quality impact and my second time around I was able to remove the knuckle in under 20 minutes and install it in about 25 minutes. The book time for this job is 1.8 hours.

My wheel bearing failed both times on the same side, I never replaced the hub and it's been fine, if you have the money go for it, but as a student I never did

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250

Tags
petej