PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Axle Snapped

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Nov 2018, 11:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Rear Axle Snapped

Well... I figured out my issue. Months back I noticed a spongy-ness and the car would rotate left when getting on the brakes and back when getting off them. Finally jacked her up and twisted each wheel. I expected the LF to wiggle and it to be totally blown out LCA. Nope. It's the RR. Thought it might be a blown Watts link. Nope. The front locating arm on the rear axle is snapped clean through. It's late and I didn't want to get too dirty, but I am assuming that it may have been rust. Any other likely causes?

What are my potential solutions? As far as I can tell, the arm and axle beam are sold as one piece. Looks like they are asking $300 new. Yikes. I can get one at the pick and pull, probably around $70. Any potential improvements over the years? Any that won't fit my rear disc '03 GT? What is the easiest way to pull them? I would like to keep my old brakes, but this seems like it will be a fairly involved job for the old girl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT Rear.jpg (22.7 KB, 47 views)
rockandroller likes this.

Last edited by Fk5; 21 Nov 2018 at 12:01 am.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 02:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Axle Snapped

You are one lucky SOB
Fk5 likes this.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 06:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm glad you found the problem. I've never heard of one of the leading arms breaking before. I've got two spare rear axles in my bone pile. Too bad that you're about 1500 miles away.

The primary difference I've found in these is that the 2001/2002 versions have nuts welded into them for the rear sway bar bushing shackles. Most later ones just have holes without nuts but there are exceptions. Supposedly, Chrysler did something to this rear axle in 2003 so it wouldn't require the sway bar. But I cannot find anything that's structurally different about them.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 07:29 am
Banned

It looks like new is still available:

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...4656440AM.html

When I put it into the shopping cart it only charged about $30 for shipping for a total of $219.93.

That's not too bad for new and considering you don't know what you might get with a used one as it may break, too, not too longer after it's installed.

Don't know if the new axle assembly will have the nuts installed for the rear sway bar. But if it doesn't, you can still add the sway bar. My PT didn't come with the sway bar but I got one from a salvage yard and was able to add it to my PT. I love it as it made a great improvement in ride, especially when cornering!

Last edited by rckstein; 21 Nov 2018 at 07:41 am.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 09:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I'm glad you found the problem. I've never heard of one of the leading arms breaking before. I've got two spare rear axles in my bone pile. Too bad that you're about 1500 miles away.

The primary difference I've found in these is that the 2001/2002 versions have nuts welded into them for the rear sway bar bushing shackles. Most later ones just have holes without nuts but there are exceptions. Supposedly, Chrysler did something to this rear axle in 2003 so it wouldn't require the sway bar. But I cannot find anything that's structurally different about them.
Yeah, I found the problem. By actually looking some 3 months after it started. I tried to use a method @302Rob and I prefer - ignore it, it will go away or something worse will happen and you can fix it then. I was wondering if the convertibles were incompatible or better. It seems like some of that stuff is more stout.

There are several reasons it may have broken. 1. I did put a rear sway bar on. I used speed nuts. It may be a major factor in locating the RR at this point. Maybe it put too much stress? 2. I had a flat and spent some time driving on a stock 205 50 17. The other three are upsized mildly to 215 50 17. Maybe that led to more stress. Then I remembered the reason that I had the smaller tire on. 3. Last winter it rolled down my driveway and got curbed. Bent the RR rim so bad that it won't hold air. I bet that it got tweaked from the hit and eventually snapped.

Too bad you don't live closer - what do you usually pay for them? I think you pull them with brakes, etc. I will strip as much of that stuff off my good car as I can, but I can use a ballpark. Crazy Ray's is all over the map on prices. I am not going to love doing this job on jackstands in the driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
It looks like new is still available:

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...4656440AM.html

When I put it into the shopping cart it only charged about $30 for shipping for a total of $219.93.

That's not too bad for new and considering you don't know what you might get with a used one as it may break, too, not too longer after it's installed.

Don't know if the new axle assembly will have the nuts installed for the rear sway bar. But if it doesn't, you can still add the sway bar. My PT didn't come with the sway bar but I got one from a salvage yard and was able to add it to my PT. I love it as it made a great improvement in ride, especially when cornering!
Book value on my car is probably $300. I will probably go to the yard. That way I will know what I am getting myself into. I don't think these break too much. I have literally never seen one pulled in the yard. You can tell what people need. As I said above, I have a rear sway bar on there. I just used speed nuts.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 10:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Wow that is crazy! I have never seen one broken before, and I have never seen one removed at the yard ever...except for the one I bought to replace my rusty one.

It has now been sitting outside of my shed for 3 years getting rusty itself. Oh well, the yard had a good price for a complete rear for $59 Canadian which included the rotors and calipers. So I got the rear and then rotors and calipers for my brothers Lincoln, since the ones that were on that rear were trash.

I think they have since doubled the price.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 10:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Of course they doubled the price! The alerts must have gone out that I need one!
rockandroller and Sinbad like this.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 10:59 am
Veteran Cruiser

with all the offroading and what-not.. now i'm curious how mine looks. i'll report back next time it's not february outside
Old 21 Nov 2018, 11:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Showing a good detailed picture can help for a couple of us to see why it broke.

I reinforced the axle structure in several places including welding steel roll bar tubing on the area yours cracked for a suspension project on my PT a few years ago.

I am sure yours is an isolated incidence and one I have never herd of or read about before having to do with a PT Cruiser.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Nov 2018, 11:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Showing a good detailed picture can help for a couple of us to see why it broke.

I reinforced the axle structure in several places including welding steel roll bar tubing on the area yours cracked for a suspension project on my PT a few years ago.

I am sure yours is an isolated incidence and one I have never herd of or read about before having to do with a PT Cruiser.
You're talking to someone that didn't even jack up the car and look for 3 months. A picture may take some time.