Advertisements
Trouble with Sisters Ford

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2018, 10:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Trouble with Sisters Ford

Hey y'all!

So my sister has a '16 escape. She started it up today and it's idling like absolutely garbage. Clearly only running on 3 cylinders. It has a ton of check engine lights. Camshaft position sensor, throttle position sensor, evap system, ignition coil, something else I forget. Barely revs to 2,000. Before starting, the battery voltage was 11.5. after, it was 15.2. any chance it's a battery, or is this more of a main computer kinda deal? Anyone have any ideas?

She takes very good care of it, it's in great condition. She's never had a single problem with it, no check engine lights or anything all. Drove just fine yesterday.

She's gonna have it towed to a local shop I trust.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 07:41 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Trouble with Sisters Ford

I'd recheck the battery. The voltage should be ~12.5 volts before starting. A weak battery will confuse the computer while it is cranking the engine, and set off errant codes.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 07:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

I completely agree with pt06. Todays cars are extremely sensitive to voltage discrepancies. I'd be willing to bet there's a dead cell in that battery. If not, I'd remove the spark plugs and have a look at them. My Forte threw a CEL at about 30,000 miles and I got a misfire on cylinder 3. I removed the plug and found a small piece of crap blocking the electrode. I flipped it out of there with my pocket knife, reinstalled it and the car didn't skip a beat. I had to remove the battery cable to clear the code and it hasn't come back for 20,000 miles now. Good luck with it.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 08:01 am
Regular Cruiser

Try new battery cheapest start to do agree that voltages in new cars is needed to be right
Old 28 Nov 2018, 09:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
Hey y'all!

So my sister has a '16 escape. She started it up today and it's idling like absolutely garbage. Clearly only running on 3 cylinders. It has a ton of check engine lights. Camshaft position sensor, throttle position sensor, evap system, ignition coil, something else I forget. Barely revs to 2,000. Before starting, the battery voltage was 11.5. after, it was 15.2. any chance it's a battery, or is this more of a main computer kinda deal? Anyone have any ideas?

She takes very good care of it, it's in great condition. She's never had a single problem with it, no check engine lights or anything all. Drove just fine yesterday.

She's gonna have it towed to a local shop I trust.

I agree with the others. 11.5 volts is low for a sitting battery and 15.2 volts is high for a charging system. Have your battery thoroughly charged and then load tested.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 11:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the advice!!

As a proof of concept, do you guys think it would be worth trying to remove the suspect battery and temporarily connect a healthy battery from another car? (My parents have a Grand Caravan, I know that battery is good and would have more than enough amperage to start a small 4 cylinder engine) or would I risk damaging anything?

ptprice likes this.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 01:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

Should be fine JUST MAKE SURE TO HOOK THE CABLES RIGHT POSITIVE TO POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE TO NEGATIVE as some Chrysler batteries are reversed in there posts
Old 28 Nov 2018, 03:51 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
Thanks for the advice!!

As a proof of concept, do you guys think it would be worth trying to remove the suspect battery and temporarily connect a healthy battery from another car? (My parents have a Grand Caravan, I know that battery is good and would have more than enough amperage to start a small 4 cylinder engine) or would I risk damaging anything?

Very often symptoms your describing are because of a bad battery. Having the privilege of a temporary battery swap out is the way to go to either figure it out or eliminate one thing from your diagnostic list.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 04:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

15.2 could also indicate a low battery in the multimeter used for testing. I've witnessed this several times just on this form when high voltage was reported
ptprice and chuzz like this.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 04:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
15.2 could also indicate a low battery in the multimeter used for testing. I've witnessed this several times just on this form when high voltage was reported
I got the reading from my Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool, which is powered by the electric system of the car. It has always given me perfectly accurate readings on every other car I've had it on.
ptprice and rob302 like this.