PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Diagnostic Codes Transmission> Torque Converter 0700 0740

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2018, 06:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Diagnostic Codes Transmission> Torque Converter 0700 0740

2002, automatic, base edition, 110K.

Check engine light just popped on. Diagnostic codes point to transmission and torque converter circuit. My reader shows 0700 and 0740. No performance issues prior or currently, fluid doesn’t leak, color good, not burnt, and no metal shavings. Car shop and transmission shop claim there’s no way to narrow issue.

Advice?

Thanks

Last edited by ElleJay; 07 Dec 2018 at 07:03 am.
Old 07 Dec 2018, 07:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Diagnostic Codes Transmission> Torque Converter 0700 0740

I'd check the connector to the solenoid pack. It MIGHT be loose. IDK, just speculating. And it could be a bad solenoid pack. I got one off a PT at the salvage yard for $20. First one didn't work, second one did. Make sure if you do that, to check the fluid in the junker first. If it's clean, you're probably safe. I didn't do that and when I went back, I checked the fluid in the first one I'd grabbed. It was brown. Second one was a nice pinkish/red color.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 07 Dec 2018, 05:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

P0740-TORQ CONV CLU, NO RPM Drop At Lockup

Possible Causes:

1. Fused Ignition Switch Output Circuit Open
2. Intermittent Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid
3. Check for other DTC’S
4. TCC Operation
5. Torque Converter Assembly or TCC SOL Stuck
6. Transmission Fluid Level and Condition
7. Vehicle Configuration Non-Standard
8. TCC Solenoid

Have you been getting any other engine trouble codes lately? Sometimes other codes besides P0740 shows up such as codes for TCC solenoids, any Cam/Crank conditions, VSS, TPS signal, TPS voltage too high or too low.

A member of the forum posted this thread saying that the P0740 went away after replacing the transmission oil and filter. You might also have some shavings on the bottom of the transmission oil pan restricting oil flow. When was the last time you changed the transmission oil and filter?

Engine Code P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 07 Dec 2018 at 05:09 pm.
Old 07 Dec 2018, 07:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Is it particularly COLD where you are? I've had spurious P0700 codes before, but always only in the winter... I think it's due to poor battery voltage, just confusing the ECU/TCU. Just a thought!
Old 07 Dec 2018, 07:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Chuzz, In my case, I am relying on the local repair shops. Meaning that it costs me out the wazoo each time a repair is made. Unfortunately, the shop charges by the hour. They’re prepared to perform whatever high dollar repair I wish to start with. It seems all of the possible issues are around 1000. I can’t afford to be wrong.

Ptcruisersteve,

I’m using an Autel Autolink AL619. Those are the only two codes I show right now. As soon as the check engine popped on I pulled over, shut it down, and scanned before driving back home for two miles very slowly. I had hoped the car shop would have better diagnostics and pull better data. They contacted their trusted transmission pro for a consult. Not completely sure how long since fluid/filter change. ATM, I’m without a car and if this one can’t be fixed without a clue of what’s broke, I need to conserve cash for a car that runs. :-(
Old 07 Dec 2018, 08:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Rockandroller, We have been experiencing a dip to the low 30’s recently, but the car is near Ft Campbell, Ky. Definitely isn’t North Dakota type weather here. Battery is less than two years old.
Old 07 Dec 2018, 08:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

On second thought, what is #1? That wasn’t on any of the lists I found of possible issues. *Fused Ignition Switch Output Circuit Open.

In my best dumb blonde voice, could that in any way be related to this car acting like Christine? Turn off ignition, take out key, then come out an hour later and the colored LEDS on the Pioneer are flashing to the music and the wipers are back on. It’s not hot wired. That started last year. Why would it throw a torque/transmission code, and after all this time? Gees I feel stupid lol

Last edited by ElleJay; 07 Dec 2018 at 08:36 pm.
Old 08 Dec 2018, 03:41 am
Senior Cruiser

Elle; Check the trans fluid level first. Go on a level highway and maintain 65 MPH. The tachometer should read ~ 2500 RPM. Push the accelerator pedal down 1/8 th more. Should hold the 2500. Push down 1/8 more and it may hold 2500 or --- it may go up to 2800/3000 RPM when the converter clutch releases. This is normal.

The 0740 code can be for many reasons. A trans oil ATF+4 only and filter change may tell you some info about the condition of the trans. [pan droppings]. A dealer or a shop with a DRBIII tool can find out more. External speed sensors, throttle sensor, MAP, computers [tcm/pcm], sticky valve, or at worse a bad torque converter, yeah, it's complex.
Old 08 Dec 2018, 08:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Follow Steve's advice. That's the obvious first choice, I'd make. I used to live about 65 miles South of Clarksville in Waverly. That's where I grew up. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any shops anywhere near where you are. If the solenoid pack was leaking, you'd see transmission fluid stains where you park it.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 08 Dec 2018, 02:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleJay View Post
Chuzz, In my case, I am relying on the local repair shops. Meaning that it costs me out the wazoo each time a repair is made. Unfortunately, the shop charges by the hour. They’re prepared to perform whatever high dollar repair I wish to start with. It seems all of the possible issues are around 1000. I can’t afford to be wrong.

Ptcruisersteve,

I’m using an Autel Autolink AL619. Those are the only two codes I show right now. As soon as the check engine popped on I pulled over, shut it down, and scanned before driving back home for two miles very slowly. I had hoped the car shop would have better diagnostics and pull better data. They contacted their trusted transmission pro for a consult. Not completely sure how long since fluid/filter change. ATM, I’m without a car and if this one can’t be fixed without a clue of what’s broke, I need to conserve cash for a car that runs. :-(
When you pull over to scan for codes do you reset the codes before you start the engine again? Does your Autel Autolink AL619 have the capabilities of resetting the DTC's? Do you remember at what speed does the computer trigger the P0740?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 08 Dec 2018 at 02:36 pm.