Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2018, 06:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 Replacement Radiator Fan

Have some time and decided to finally switch out the radiator fan on my 2007 Pt Cruiser base wagon. Ever since i purchased the car, running the ac at idle or at a light results in the rpm's dropping and the car shaking but luckily I've never had the car overheat.

I'm looking on rockauto and amazon for the replacement radiator fan and they have two options for the 2007, a 3 pin connector and a 4 pin connector. Anyone know which one is the correct connector for the 2007?
Old 18 Dec 2018, 06:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 Replacement Radiator Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonboy View Post
Have some time and decided to finally switch out the radiator fan on my 2007 Pt Cruiser base wagon. Ever since i purchased the car, running the ac at idle or at a light results in the rpm's dropping and the car shaking but luckily I've never had the car overheat.

I'm looking on rockauto and amazon for the replacement radiator fan and they have two options for the 2007, a 3 pin connector and a 4 pin connector. Anyone know which one is the correct connector for the 2007?
It should be a four pin connector. With RockAuto I am surprised they are giving you the option of a 3 pin connector. Are you putting in the year of your Pt Cruiser before going to the radiator fans options for your Pt Cruiser? Does it say the year 2007 on the tag that is on the driver's side door?
Old 18 Dec 2018, 06:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
It should be a four pin connector. With RockAuto I am surprised they are giving you the option of a 3 pin connector. Are you putting in the year of your Pt Cruiser before going to the radiator fans options for your Pt Cruiser? Does it say the year 2007 on the tag that is on the driver's side door?
Thanks, virtually every parts site is giving me both options for some reason. Went ahead and ordered the 4 pin TYC fan.

Old 18 Dec 2018, 07:24 pm
Banned

You should check with your local dealership for the MOPAR part number for the fan assembly.

Then use the search function on the RockAuto website to find the matches to the MOPAR part #. I have found that the RA website doesn't always filter the correct parts for your particular vehicle, but does much better when using the MOPAR part #. You can also get genuine MOPAR parts from RA at very good prices.

Using a website to get the VIN for an '07 PT (base model) this is the MOPAR part number for the fan assembly:

Don't just go by price but also the warranty. One has only a 90/day warranty, some 12/months, 24/months & lifetime.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 07:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Climb under your car and check the connector on the lower corner of the driver's side of the fan.

This is the view from the bottom looking up. The 4 pin connector has a zip tie holding the connectors together because the missing red lock tab on the fan side broke off. The 2 black and 1 red wire above is where the 3 pin connectors usually reside. The connectors came apart a couple of times resulting in raised temperatures. I finally cut the connectors off and soldered the wires together and put heat shrink tubing on them. To remove the fan, you simply disconnect the 4 pin connector and the 3 pin connector is part of the fan assembly in the Gen2 PT's

Old 21 Dec 2018, 09:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Climb under your car and check the connector on the lower corner of the driver's side of the fan.

This is the view from the bottom looking up. The 4 pin connector has a zip tie holding the connectors together because the missing red lock tab on the fan side broke off. The 2 black and 1 red wire above is where the 3 pin connectors usually reside. The connectors came apart a couple of times resulting in raised temperatures. I finally cut the connectors off and soldered the wires together and put heat shrink tubing on them. To remove the fan, you simply disconnect the 4 pin connector and the 3 pin connector is part of the fan assembly in the Gen2 PT's

My mechanic screwed up the fan installation, he saw that the old fan had both the 3 pin connector and the 4 pin connector and the new fan only had the 4 pin connector so he decided to cut the wires on the car for the 3 and 4 pin and the the connector on the new fan and connect them using electrical tape matching them up. He blew a fuse doing this but after replacing the fuse, the fan is working fine.

My question is, is this safe. He assured me that connecting the wires directly bypassing the connectors is fine but I'm not 100% sure. The other question, is it possible to fix what he's done in case in the future, i want to replace the fan.
Old 21 Dec 2018, 10:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
My mechanic screwed up the fan installation, he saw that the old fan had both the 3 pin connector and the 4 pin connector and the new fan only had the 4 pin connector so he decided to cut the wires on the car for the 3 and 4 pin and the the connector on the new fan and connect them using electrical tape matching them up. He blew a fuse doing this but after replacing the fuse, the fan is working fine.

My question is, is this safe. He assured me that connecting the wires directly bypassing the connectors is fine but I'm not 100% sure. The other question, is it possible to fix what he's done in case in the future, i want to replace the fan.
I would be concerned as down the road when you want to replace it it is going to cost more or take more time to attach the wires to another new radiator fan. I certainly wouldn't go to that mechanic again.
rckstein likes this.
Old 21 Dec 2018, 10:32 pm
Banned

Quote:

I don't know why your mechanic would have done that, he should have been able to figure out the connectors.

It's probably fine for now being direct wired and with no connectors as sometimes the connectors themselves can cause issues and the fan to fail.

But you can get a genuine MOPAR repair connector to replace the connector that was cut off of the body harness, and any new replacement fan with have a matching connector:

I got one off Amazon a few months ago, but this is about the cheapest that I can find now:

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...way-68040499aa
chuzz likes this.