PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Accessory power in front panel 2006 pt cruiser

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2018, 03:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Accessory power in front panel 2006 pt cruiser

I'm installing an aftermarket deck into my pt cruiser, I got a wiring harness adapter so I don't have to split into the factory harness, everything is working except 12v accessorie line isn't working, the old radio works fine but through the adapter harness it doesn't so the adapter isn't perfect. I'm just going to tie into the 12v accessory from somewhere else, where behind the dash can I get that power? Anyone know what wires I can splice into? Possibly one of the window switches?

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 20 Dec 2018, 03:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Accessory power in front panel 2006 pt cruiser

It depends on the accessories you plan to run. Xwing77 has a write up where he brings in a separate lead off the battery cable to an aftermarket fuse panel under the dash. The reason to do this is to not risk damage to the TIPM. Even though all the circuits are fused, you can still over-amp them to some degree. If I ever add an aftermarket amp to my 2nd Gen convertible, I'll bring it in from the battery cable on a separate fuse block like Xwing77 did.

I'm not usually very risk-adverse. But a TIPM is a real bother to replace and a wonky one can be hard to diagnose. No need to risk damage to it in my opinion.
rckstein likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 20 Dec 2018 at 04:04 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 04:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I just need a 12v acc get the head unit to power on, I'm getting an amp that will be powered directly to the battery
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Old 20 Dec 2018, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
I just need a 12v acc get the head unit to power on, I'm getting an amp that will be powered directly to the battery
Oh. When you said you had an adapter, I thought you meant you had an adapter module. For the 2nd Gen PT's, the plug and play solution is to get a module. You will need something like a Crux SOOCR-26 Wiring Interface or a PAC C2R-CHY4 Wiring Interface in order to tell the ECM to provide power for the stereo. You won't need it to power a factory amp but it will also allow the normal power feed to work. The good folks at Crutchfield can get you the one your need. The only other good solution is likely to bring in power as I suggested for accessories or you can attempt to tap the cigarette lighter. I'm using the iDataLink "smart module" in my Charger Daytona. I would have been just as well to get one of the regular ones like I listed and then get a separate adapter for the steering wheel controls. Having a CANbus electrical system like the 2nd Gen PT's or my Charger is fun. Or it's not fun depending on how you look at it.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 20 Dec 2018 at 05:04 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 04:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Most users just jump it off the front power plug (cig lighter).

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 20 Dec 2018, 05:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Do I have to remove the center console for that then

Old 20 Dec 2018, 06:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Simply tap into the existing 12-volt accessory feed wire going into the connector of the oem radio harness.
You say the original radio gets this power, so the needed power wire is there on the body side of the radio harness, leading into the connector.

I do not have the 2006 wiring schematic to identify the wire color.

Quote:
I'm installing an aftermarket deck into my pt cruiser, I got a wiring harness adapter so I don't have to split into the factory harness, everything is working except 12v accessorie line isn't working, the old radio works fine but through the adapter harness it doesn't so the adapter isn't perfect. I'm just going to tie into the 12v accessory from somewhere else, where behind the dash can I get that power? Anyone know what wires I can splice into? Possibly one of the window switches?
sanatanadharma when you are no longer posting in stealth mode and make the availability for PMs then welcome , join and participate on this forum as a supporting member. Until then your responses in most threads will be temporarily removed.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 07:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Do I have to remove the center console for that then
If you remove all the screws, you can get to the wire just by lifting the console up. You'll have to lie down on the driver's side floor though.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 20 Dec 2018, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
Simply tap into the existing 12-volt accessory feed wire going into the connector of the oem radio harness.
You say the original radio gets this power, so the needed power wire is there on the body side of the radio harness, leading into the connector.

The 2nd Gen PT's use CANbus and it cuts the power to the stereo if an OEM stereo head is not there to communicate with the ECM. So you have to pull power from somewhere else unless you use an adapter module like I discussed above which tells the ECM it's an OEM stereo. There's several work-arounds such as tapping the cigarette lighter as long as the stereo head is low-power.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 20 Dec 2018 at 08:14 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 08:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
Yeah thats my problem,

My car audio guy from work is going to install a sub and amp tomorrow and Ill see what he can come up with

I have this connector only the acc power isnt working rest work flawlessly http://prntscr.com/lxpufd