Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By NLAlston
  • 4 Post By NLAlston

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jan 2019, 10:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New battery installation issue.

Just recently, I had to buy a new battery for our 2009 PT Cruiser. *On today, I drove it for the first time, after that battery installation. *Upon returning home, this evening, I found an issue with shutting the car down. *The engine seemed to cease running, but the blower continued. *Also, the instrument panel remained lit. *On top of that, the only function that our keys provided was the starting of the car. *Neither would allow the locking/unlocking of the car doors. *Through it all, my only recourse was to remove a battery terminal, and re-attach it. *That, did it.

When a battery is replaced, is there a need to effect some kind of procedure with the keys? *That's the only thing that comes to mind. *But, I don't know what that procedure might be.

Nathan
(2009 PT/ non turbo/auto)
Old 01 Jan 2019, 10:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New battery installation issue.

If everything went back to work normally after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, then you are likely good to go. There is no special procedure that's different than other cars. If you still have problems, take both battery terminal loose and touch them together for about 10 seconds. Then reconnect them and see if everything goes back to work normally. Sounds like your PCM and BCM may have been "confused". Strange things can happen during and after low voltage conditions. This may not be your issue. But it's quick and easy to try.
rckstein, ptprice and the3dgm like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Jan 2019 at 10:37 pm.
Old 01 Jan 2019, 11:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you, Handy Cruiser.

I will, most certainly, give that a shot, tomorrow.

I put everything back, in reverse order of what had to removed - in order to remove the old battery, and install the new one. My first outing with it was about a half hour drive to get one of our daughters. So, figure about (a total of) an hour, or so, that I had driven, before initiating a shut-down of the car.

I am so hopeful that your suggestion will address the very reason why things are a bit out of whack.

I will come back, to let you know how I make out.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Nathan
Old 02 Jan 2019, 01:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I am suggesting that you might have a battery parasite drain considering the problem you had and the replacement of the battery. If it happens again take an amp meter and check to see how much you are drawing off the battery with the ignition off.

If you are drawing more current than you should first check to see how much current you are drawing from the Body Control Module. Post what you find.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 02 Jan 2019 at 02:05 am.
Old 02 Jan 2019, 09:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

Clean both of the battery posts and the battery clamps and see what happens. And make sure both of the battery clamps are tight. I'm betting one of them was left loose.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 08 Jan 2019, 12:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

UPDATE.

Firstly, I wish to thank ALL responders.

Secondly, I didn't get the opportunity to address the issue, with our ailing PT, until yesterday. The first thing I did, when I came back to town, was to venture out to our vehicle, and apply some remedial efforts. Nearing the car, I wanted to see if the remote would work. When I pressed the associated remote button, I heard the door locks. WHAT?? A non responsive remote was what I had experienced, in the aftermath of the new battery installation. So, now, I am of the mind that the matter may have cleared, somehow, on its OWN.

I start the car, and it is unfailing, in that regard. The NEXT test would be the revealing one. I turn the car off, and notice that the blower motor also shut down, also. AND, there was no longer the lingering illumination of the panel lights. So, it appears that those issues are behind me.

I guess that the condition - like some people - was a 'late starter' .

Nathan