PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Exide AGM Battery? Group 34 OK?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2019, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Exide AGM Battery? Group 34 OK?

Anyone using this battery? I'm needing a new one - got stranded last week.

Would this fit into my 2005 convertible PT without modification?

Other battery recommendations?

I do like the blue color since my PT is electric blue...

Link#1: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Edge-34-...34DS/205342449

Link#2: https://www.truckid.com/exide/edge-g...SABEgJiLvD_BwE

Where would you guys recommend it be purchased? online? In Store?
Discount codes available?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03 Jan 2019, 07:13 pm
Banned

Default Re: Exide AGM Battery? Group 34 OK?

I think the Exide battery that you found is a little too wide for the battery tray.

The Optima 34R fits into the PT Cruiser tray:

This is the specs on the Optima 34R:

This is the specs of the Exide:

As you can see, the Exide is wider than the Optima and the Optima fills the tray in width, but there is a little more room for length.

This member posted a while back that they found another 34 battery that will fit into the PT tray:

What did you do to your PT today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonior View Post
Replaced my battery today. The car sat for 24 hrs from Saturday night until Sunday night. I went to start the car to leave for the company Christmas party and was greeted with the dreaded fast click from the starter. Nobody was home to jumpstart the car so I grabbed my cables out of the garage and the battery I had brought indoors from my riding lawn mower. It was just enough to start the car and had no trouble starting it later that night or this morning, but last night convinced me it's time for it to go! The battery was in the car when I rescued it a year ago (my God, it's been a year already!) and had been in the car for at least a year previous.
I had checked the forums here and it was said a group 34R would fit and have MUCH more cranking power. I checked around and found Batteries Plus has a Duracell (985 CA, 800 CCA) for $125 plus core and a 10% off code if I buy online and pick up in store.
While on the way to Batteries Plus I stopped by the local Advance Auto for a gallon of 50/50 G05 and AlumaSeal. The windows are fogging up and I've been smelling antifreeze for a couple weeks now. I used about 1/3 tube of the AlumaSeal, topped off the radiator and drove to Batteries Plus about 6 miles away. No more antifreeze smell or fogged up windows, plan is to replace the heater core next year when the weather is more cooperative to being outside for several hours.
I replaced the battery right there in the parking lot, made sure I brought the tool box with me. I was a VERY tight fit, at first I thought I had made a mistake , it was almost too wide for the battery tray, but once I moved the battery around just right, it dropped right in.

Last edited by rckstein; 03 Jan 2019 at 07:49 pm.
Old 03 Jan 2019, 09:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[QUOTE=rckstein;698775]I think the Exide battery that you found is a little too wide for the battery tray.

Ughh, I was hoping to make this blue one work. Their info is confusing... they are posting two slightly different numbers. On the actual battery specifications page with diagrams and more detail, it appears the Exide battery is slightly smaller in depth than the Optima. That is the measurement in question, correct? (front to back depth)

On the specs page below, it shows 6.77" as size at widest point on base of battery mounting tabs. Please correct me if I'm reading it wrong.

link to specs: https://www.truckid.com/images/exide...tion-sheet.pdf

Height and Length are good, right?

Many Thanks!
Old 03 Jan 2019, 09:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I searched batteries plus, I have one within 30 miles of my home.

Is this the one you mentioned?
https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli34agmdp

They do have a pricey blue topped one that has similar dimensions:

10% off if ordered online and $30 rebate would make it about $230
60 month free replacement warranty

Thoughts?
Old 03 Jan 2019, 10:20 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcroozer View Post
Ughh, I was hoping to make this blue one work. Their info is confusing... they are posting two slightly different numbers. On the actual battery specifications page with diagrams and more detail, it appears the Exide battery is slightly smaller in depth than the Optima. That is the measurement in question, correct? (front to back depth)

On the specs page below, it shows 6.77" as size at widest point on base of battery mounting tabs. Please correct me if I'm reading it wrong.

link to specs: https://www.truckid.com/images/exide...tion-sheet.pdf

Height and Length are good, right?

Many Thanks!
From these specs (from your link), I'm seeing 6.8" width (front-back), which should be fine as it's less than the Optima:

Length is 10.2" which is a little more than the Optima, but the Optima is a little short in the tray so it may fit.

Last edited by rckstein; 03 Jan 2019 at 10:22 pm.
Old 03 Jan 2019, 10:40 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcroozer View Post
I searched batteries plus, I have one within 30 miles of my home.

Is this the one you mentioned?

They do have a pricey blue topped one that has similar dimensions:

10% off if ordered online and $30 rebate would make it about $230
60 month free replacement warranty

Thoughts?
I think this one is too long and too wide as compared to the Optima:

Old 04 Jan 2019, 08:27 am
Senior Cruiser

The original battery size for a PT is a 26R. It is more than adequate for the PT's small engine. The factory battery lasted 6 plus years in mine. Aftermarket batteries seem to have issues in PT's. I put in a 58R in mine after the replacement 26R died. It required cutting the 'heat blanket' by the headlight [vertically] and refolding it. A little duct tape banded around the battery and voila. Good so far.

Important things are battery terminal location, battery hold down flange, and heat if you own a turbo or live down south.

I've had more issues with batteries recently than I've had in the past. Bigger alternators? Engine heat?
Old 04 Jan 2019, 10:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I think the Exide battery that you found is a little too wide for the battery tray.

The Optima 34R fits into the PT Cruiser tray:

This is the specs on the Optima 34R:

This is the specs of the Exide:

As you can see, the Exide is wider than the Optima and the Optima fills the tray in width, but there is a little more room for length.

This member posted a while back that they found another 34 battery that will fit into the PT tray:

What did you do to your PT today?
would a walmart everstart 34 fit in the PT Cruiser? I havea new napa 26r and it does 550CCA and a max34 would do 800, perfect for canadian weather

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 05 Jan 2019, 02:19 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

After getting a lot of positive terminal corrosion and facing the unreliability of buying yet an other standard battery I got the OPTIMA 34R Red Top Battery early in 2018. It's a perfect fit with the original tray and hold down clamp. I've had no more battery challenges. I also replaced both the terminal clamps with much better after market clamps.
Later on, wanting to show the red top battery off and get better access to the terminals I replaced the original first generation NA air cleaner with the later model standard air cleaner.
And I bought it on sale at a great price from Autozone. Three year unlimited replacement warranty. It'll last a lot longer than that!

Optima 34R battery hidden under original PT Cruiser NA air cleaner
redtop33.jpg
Optima 34R battery with more terminal access after installing later model PT Cruiser NA air cleaner
redtop6.jpg
OPTIMA 34 R battery in place after simple air cleaner mount modifications. Note after market terminal clamps with no corrosion after nearly a year.
redtop22.jpg
Happy PTin', ptprice
rckstein likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 18 Jan 2019, 03:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
would a walmart everstart 34 fit in the PT Cruiser? I havea new napa 26r and it does 550CCA and a max34 would do 800, perfect for canadian weather
I believe it would, but the terminals would be on the wrong side, hence the R (reverse) designation. I looked at that WalMart battery but decided against because of the terminals and found the Duracell 34R at Batteries Plus that RCKSTIEN re-posted...
2004 N/A auto. Touring Edition (Died 2016 resurrected Nov 2017) bought for $100 Oct 2017 w/122k mi, died March 2019 143K mi. Added RBQ 6-disc changer w/Sirius. Replaced TB,WP, thermostat and gasket, front bearings w/one hub, ceramic pads w/new rotors, one brake caliper w/bracket, and lower control arm. More changes/repairs as the weather allows .
1999 300M 186k mi (now her daily driver)
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Ronald Reagan