Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help!! Lost keys in vent on dash!!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2019, 09:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Help!! Lost keys in vent on dash!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinPA View Post
Keys are almost always brass (non-magnetic).
They use brass because:
1. it's easy to cut
2. it's a somewhat "slippery" and soft metal that minimizes wear on the lock pins

If the key had a split-ring attached, the rings are usually steel and magnetic. (But it probably wouldn't have gone down the hole if it had a ring attached.)

Once you get the dash top off, if you can spot the key, you might be able to retrieve it with a 3-prong grabber, or use some sticky tape (sticky side exposed) on the end of a stick.

Good luck.
It was on a ring with 3 other keys and it slipped all the way down into a "bowl" area. We had someone come look and he's going to bring a wand magnet tomorrow.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 10:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

This is what you need. I've used my hundreds of times to grab things i dropped. https://www.homedepot.com/p/GrabEasy...0406/301034862 Good luck!
Old 11 Jan 2019, 02:50 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
This is what you need. I've used my hundreds of times to grab things i dropped. https://www.homedepot.com/p/GrabEasy...0406/301034862 Good luck!
Ty, I appreciate all the help I get on here..and this is definitely going to be a part of my life now.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 07:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceana View Post
Ty, I appreciate all the help I get on here..and this is definitely going to be a part of my life now.
Don't feel too bad, the first time that I removed the center dash bezel on my PT, one of the screws that you have to remove (or really only loosen) inside the vent, I backed it all the way out and before I could reach in and grab it, the screwdriver slipped and the screw went down inside the duct.

I tried using an inspection camera to snake down inside to find and retrieve it, but it was lost, so I just got a new one.

But since then, I have learned just how much to back them out so that they stay with the bezel when I pull it off.

Good luck with your search.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 11 Jan 2019, 09:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Don't feel too bad, the first time that I removed the center dash bezel on my PT, one of the screws that you have to remove (or really only loosen) inside the vent, I backed it all the way out and before I could reach in and grab it, the screwdriver slipped and the screw went down inside the duct.

I tried using an inspection camera to snake down inside to find and retrieve it, but it was lost, so I just got a new one.

But since then, I have learned just how much to back them out so that they stay with the bezel when I pull it off.

Good luck with your search.

They have been located all the way to the bottom. A guy came to help, he removed a part under the car, but couldn't get his hand in to grab them and a coat hanger didn't work..We need the wand magnet and everyone is sold out..we have no other way to get anywhere. .just a total nightmare.. the guy tried 2 magnets, but they would attach, but not string enough to pull them up.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 10:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
They have been located all the way to the bottom. A guy came to help, he removed a part under the car, but couldn't get his hand in to grab them and a coat hanger didn't work..We need the wand magnet and everyone is sold out..we have no other way to get anywhere. .just a total nightmare.. the guy tried 2 magnets, but they would attach, but not string enough to pull them up.
You might try getting a round magnet at a hardware store:

You could then tie it onto a string and lower it down into the duct from the top. You could even bounce it up and down and hopefully be able to snag the ring that the keys are on. Tie several knots on the string so that it's secure and doesn't fall off the string and also end up at the bottom of the duct.

Try looking down, from the outside of the vehicle through the windshield and into the defroster duct, using a flashlight, to see if you can see the keys in the duct.
podo2000 likes this.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 12 Jan 2019, 12:53 am
Young Cruiser

im hoping this pic works..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hole....jpg (43.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 12 Jan 2019, 06:07 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If it helps, I once got a rocker cover bolt that had fallen into an old Rover F-head straight six through a spark plug hole with a blob of Plumbers Mait* in a coathanger.

Might be worth a go...

* Plumbers putty, gawd nose what it's called in the US

And no, it wasn't me who dropped it in the engine

Bollocks to Brexit
Old 12 Jan 2019, 07:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
im hoping this pic works..
That's why your keys fell down there so easily, the dash cover is missing the "grille" pieces over the hole:

This is what it should look like:

Who knows what else may have fallen down in there.

Not to rub salt into a wound, but after you get your keys out of there, you might consider getting a replacement dash panel so that something like this doesn't happen again.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 12 Jan 2019, 10:43 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
That's why your keys fell down there so easily, the dash cover is missing the "grille" pieces over the hole:

This is what it should look like:

Who knows what else may have fallen down in there.

Not to rub salt into a wound, but after you get your keys out of there, you might consider getting a replacement dash panel so that something like this doesn't happen again.
We've owned 2 Of these cars..both of them looked the same on top..didn't realize it was supposed to be so "closed" off.. I definitely want it fixed.. I don't even wanna thint about what might be in it from the previous owners lol
rckstein likes this.