Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help!! Lost keys in vent on dash!!

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2019, 01:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Help!! Lost keys in vent on dash!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
That may be true, but it also must be successfully programmed to your specific vehicle.

But you can't even verify that the new key has been successfully programmed because the vehicle won't start.

If you could get your PT to a dealership, this whole ordeal could probably be easily diagnosed by them once they plug it into their machines. Yes, you will probably have to pay a diagnostic fee, but at this point, I don't see that you have any other choice, unless you tear apart the entire dash and find that original key, if that's where it actually is.
I wish we had the original key, this is a nightmare.going by the programmer it was successful, but I highly doubt it.Were gonna try to scope it again to look for the original keys, cause I won't be able to get it to the dealer for at least another 5weeks.hopefully they can find the keys.
Old 22 Feb 2019, 04:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceana View Post
I wish we had the original key, this is a nightmare.going by the programmer it was successful, but I highly doubt it.Were gonna try to scope it again to look for the original keys, cause I won't be able to get it to the dealer for at least another 5weeks.hopefully they can find the keys.
I'm not trying to belittle your financial situation, but how much does a tow cost in your area? Most tows i ever had was about $80, or free because i paid a couple of bucks a month on my insurance (maybe an option for you?). If it's going to take you 5 weeks to save $80, you might want to reconcider keeping this car. It's old and the engine bay is cramped, so any work is gonna cost you big bucks. Not to mention a timing belt if its due or past due. Most dealerships have a flat fee for diagnosis and if you have the repair done, this fee is deducted from overall bill. Right now your out ~$160 bucks for a non-working key. The dealer quoted you ~$190. So to save ~$30 bucks, it has cost you weeks without your car, countless attempts at fixing it and now you are probably locked out. I think your only option is to stopped touching the car. Wait until you have the financial means to take it to the dealership and take it there. You might even be able to get some of your money back from the locksmith. They knew your situation and if they weren't able make a functioning key, they should have never charged you in the first place. After the new transponder key didn't start the car, you should have got a refund! You hired them for a functioning key and they didn't deliver.
Old 22 Feb 2019, 07:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
I'm not trying to belittle your financial situation, but how much does a tow cost in your area? Most tows i ever had was about $80, or free because i paid a couple of bucks a month on my insurance (maybe an option for you?). If it's going to take you 5 weeks to save $80, you might want to reconcider keeping this car. It's old and the engine bay is cramped, so any work is gonna cost you big bucks. Not to mention a timing belt if its due or past due. Most dealerships have a flat fee for diagnosis and if you have the repair done, this fee is deducted from overall bill. Right now your out ~$160 bucks for a non-working key. The dealer quoted you ~$190. So to save ~$30 bucks, it has cost you weeks without your car, countless attempts at fixing it and now you are probably locked out. I think your only option is to stopped touching the car. Wait until you have the financial means to take it to the dealership and take it there. You might even be able to get some of your money back from the locksmith. They knew your situation and if they weren't able make a functioning key, they should have never charged you in the first place. After the new transponder key didn't start the car, you should have got a refund! You hired them for a functioning key and they didn't deliver.

Its the way he gets paid. its biweekly and 1 check pays rent, the other goes for bills or whatever we need and that free check isnt until the 14th.. Tows are insane. I paid almost $200 for a tow when my car died 2yrs ago and it was a total of maybe 4 miles? The closest Chrysler dealership is about 7-9miles depending which one would even take it. I doubt either locksmith will give us the money back for 3 non working keys so were out $305. which we only paid $130 ofmy uncle gave the rest because he assumed we would have gotten a working key from a well known and respected locksmith.. I never wanted this car lol tried to get the previous owner to take it back and he was a scammer from day 1.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 02:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Any updates, have you gotten your PT running?

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
164k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 22 Mar 2019, 08:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Any updates, have you gotten your PT running?
Nope.. hubby's coworker is a mechanic and he's worked on It before, anyways he came out Sunday and I guess the cars flooded. He changed 2 spark plugs, and said he'd be back the weekend of change out the other 2.
Old Yesterday, 03:23 am
Regular Cruiser

No further update...he didn't come the weekend. I'm trying to find someone else to come out.